Author Topic: Gremlins?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
Gremlins?
« on: April 05, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
So I'm wondering what their stats would be? And I'm not talking the movie Gremlin's here, but rather the WW2 Pilot superstition. I'm going under the assumption that they are Wyldfae. Naturally they should have a decent craftsmanship, the stunt that has to do with disassembling things, and the hexing power, but what else? I'm thinking increase the hexing powers cost by one and make it completely voluntary, and give them good stealth and burglary. Inhuman toughness seems to be a standard Fae power in OW so maybe that?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlins?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 07:02:39 PM »
As far as I understand them, they don't hex but they rip the engines apart by hand. So the stunt to disassemble things, maybe inhuman strength (or more), because ripping apart an engine with your bare hands is not really easy. Maybe instead of hexing you can give it a supernatural sense, that helps him find a weak spot in an engine (as in he can use it to declare a weak spot aspect and then tag it for more effect when disassembling). You already mentioned stealth, he should definitely have a decent score there to sneak on a plane. Maybe something like Spider Walk, restricted to moving vehicles, but it also increases stealth. And he should be able to survive a crashing plane, so he should either be able to cross over into the nevernever from there, or he has some sort of wing power to be able to glide down, if he is on a plane. I think crossing over into the nevernever would fit better, and he should be able to do this without any power, as long as he is doing it from a vehicle he just trashed.

Smell the weak spot [-1]
You have the ability to smell the weak spot in any vehicle. You can declare an aspect that describes a weak spot in the mechanics of the vehicle you are on.

Gremlins Grip [-1]
When climbing on a moving vehicle, you suffer no penalties for moving around due to the surface or speed of the vehicle. Your Stealth is increased by +1 when trying to hide in or on a vehicle.

Maybe Claws, so he can do even more damage.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
From Generic NPC thread:

Gremlin (On The Beach)

High Concept: That Thing That Steals Your Socks And Makes Your Computer Break Down
Other Aspects: Unseen Prankster, Poetic Justice
Skills:
Good: Craftsmanship, Stealth
Fair: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Average: Athletics, Deceit, Contacts
Stunts:
Destructive Prankster (Craftsmanship): +2 to break things with Craftsmanship.
Boosted Hexes (Conviction): All technology is treated as though it were two steps lower on the hexing table.
Powers:
Diminutive Size [-1]
Cloak Of Shadows [-1]
Ritual (Entropomancy) [-2]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Hope that that's what you were looking for.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:01:41 PM »
I came across an interesting interpretation of Gremlins:

They started out as nature fairies and as their fields, streams, woods, etc were plowed under and built on they became what they are today - a twisted reflection of what they once were.  They attack technology from the forlorn hope of restoring nature mixing with their trickster nature.

It's an interesting way to look at it.

Richard

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:05:57 PM »
When i was reading about the gremlins of WWII.  thank you by the way very interesting.  one thing brought up that i thought was interesting.  only the Britsh made aircraft got messed with....  There was no reporting from American aircraft..  another side note, maybe a curse or nazi summoners... mmmmm
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:10 PM »
I created some Gremlins.

I gave them high craftsmanship, and the stunt Monkey with a Wrench.

Diminutive Size
Claws
Inhuman Speed(so they can work faster)

then I made some leader types that had some veils that would be used to hide the group.

I also figured they'd have an aspect like "Get 'em boys!" so they can gang up on a problem.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 01:28:06 AM »
Might be nice to give 'em an offensive capability, too. Maybe "Breath Weapon" to have them throw gears and wrenches and such?
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 04:20:57 AM »
For the game I'm in set in Supernatural Seattle, Home of Boeing, I designed Gremlins but not stats.

I made them some of the newest Wyldfae because they are unique to industry.

I said that they start off small, Bugs Bunny Cartoon Gremlin small and get larger as they consume more and more technology. On the Seattle Monorail is a Gremlin big enough to terrorize William Shatner and John Lithgow who disguises himself as a hobo.

The more high-tech it is, they tastier. But they also use their great speed to fix up the technology before they eat it.

The same logic behind the treatment of Kobe Beef Cows....

As a result, the Seattle Monorail almost never breaks down and when it does, it's a big deal. And, a lot of people everyday ride the Monorail only to loose their cellphones, laptops and iPods.

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 04:47:53 AM »
I think giving them Pack Tactics would be a good choice, in addition to that "Get 'em boys!" Aspect.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 05:08:08 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. Interesting food for thought.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:53:59 PM »
The Mana Static power seems as though it would be a natural match...