Author Topic: Weapon rating for big guns?  (Read 5778 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Weapon rating for big guns?
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:30 PM »
Sometimes, size does matter. What should be the weapon rating of a 2-bore rifle firing equally big bullets like these?
http://www.2-bore.com/

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Weapon rating for big guns?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »
Weapon:4, methinks... but I think the gun might have its own aspect of "Kicks like a mule!" that the enemy can compel for anything from making the wielder off-balanced after firing, to even simply inflicting physical stress (1 point, but that'll add up over time...) from having the weapon improperly braced. 

Consequences from the compelled stress of having a gun like that repeatedly slam into you might go along of the lines of "Okay, now, anybody seen my shoulder?" "Dazed And Dislocated" "Recoilless, My Ass" and other ideas along those lines.

However, given what it'll do to your opposition, a little skeletal damage is a small price to pay. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 05:49:58 PM »
You could go with "Doom" ratings:

Pistol: Weapon 2
Shotgun: Weapon 3
Chaingun: Weapon 4
Rocket Launcher: Weapon 5
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 05:56:24 PM »
I'd go with weapon:3 myself.  Weapon:4 is for things like heavy machine guns that might do less per-bullet damage than that monster, but definitely create more havoc over the course of a roughly 30 second exchange. 

I would definitely give a gun like that an aspect along the lines of "Armor? What armor?" to help it chew through hardened targets though.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »
Weapon:4, methinks... but I think the gun might have its own aspect of "Kicks like a mule!" that the enemy can compel for anything from making the wielder off-balanced after firing

Should we open up the possibility that Consequences/Aspects can serve as a balancing factor for increasing the effectiveness of certain things?

"I'd like my pistol to do +2 damage against vampires" (Special Bullets), but to get that, I have to take the phantom Aspect "Extremely Limited and Expensive Ammo" which can be compelled in various ways: having the last bullet fall out of reach, requiring an Athletics check or a supplemental action, that sort of thing.

Maybe that was even a Consequence of the Resources check needed to *get* the Ammo. Imagine the player wanted the ammo. They missed the Resources check by two. They could have opted to increase the skill check duration by 2 steps on the time chart to make the minimum success. Or invoked an Aspect for a Fate Point. But instead, the GM offers them the ammo, but at the price of a 2-point Consequence to make up for the missing shifts. We don't even need it to take up space on the player's Consequence chart, but each one of these negative Aspects would be worth +2 shifts to the roll.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:13:12 PM »
I say 4.
A Rifle is 3, so that should atleast be a 4.
Whats the range on those bad boys?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »
They do have considerable recoil but they are fired from specially made rifles that have more mass so the recoil is more controlled and a thicker, wide shoulder pad for bracing.

The problems are cost ($255 per round) and reload (as the rifle only takes 2 rounds). The bonus is that they can take down an elephant in one shot.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 03:09:35 AM »
so your character better have Resources or Craftmanship

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 04:10:25 AM »
I'd modify the Guns roll with Might.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 05:59:45 AM »
I'd modify the Guns roll with Might.

That would mean that with the strength powers the gun roll will be higher.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 07:36:04 AM »
Looks like the round generates around 22,000 Joules at the muzzle, roughly comparable to the ~18,000 J generated by .50 BMG.  That's fits reasonably well into weapon 4.  And there are a lot less silly firearms that you can carry around that would also qualify for weapon 4.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »
That would mean that with the strength powers the gun roll will be higher.
Yes, I am aware of that.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 08:18:24 AM »
Looks like the round generates around 22,000 Joules at the muzzle, roughly comparable to the ~18,000 J generated by .50 BMG.  That's fits reasonably well into weapon 4.  And there are a lot less silly firearms that you can carry around that would also qualify for weapon 4.

I agree with this.

That said, if it is thematically appropriate, go for broke.

Weapon 4 is a weapon 4.  I would think it would be much more practical to have a .50 bmg... but w/e floats a PC's boat.

I personally would even call a .308 semi auto a weapon:4 due to the high volume of fire.

For really gun-centric characters, though - aspects are where it's at.

For a really exotic gun and ammo, "armor piercing" and similar aspects could be used during play.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
Would an Anti-materiel rifle count as weapons 4 or 5?
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Would an Anti-materiel rifle count as weapons 4 or 5?
I'd say 4.
Rpg 5