Author Topic: Figuring out the power level of an NPC  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Figuring out the power level of an NPC
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2011, 01:47:10 AM »
Huh, yes, that works too. Giving him mundane armour somehow didn't occur to me.

No Pain! might be a touch too strong, but since it's an NPC it doesn't really matter.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2011, 02:07:18 AM »
No Pain! is definitely on the very powerful side, even if evaluated as a supernatural power and not a stunt
As a stunt, it's plainly 'overpowered'

But, yes, on an NPC, that doesn't matter as much
at the most, it throws off the math a bit when you're trying to eyeball the NPC's power
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2011, 02:35:56 AM »
Compare with Footwork (or equivalent) + True Strike (or equivalent) and a base Fists or Weapons of 6. Then the Ogre would be both attacking and defending at +7 at the same cost. Now it has a lower weapon/fists skill thus attacking at +5, with a tradeoff of defending at +8. Also keep in mind that due to Greater Glamours, the Ogre is under a power 8 veil that isn't pierced if discovered. To those without The Sight, it is already effectively defending at +8. The endurance stunts are there mostly for flavor - they don't change the mechanics much.

The effectiveness of powers and stunts can vary from case to case.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 03:06:08 AM »
Well, yes, but then again, he could also spend a refresh on a homebrewed 'stunt' giving him +3 to guns attacks, with no other restrictions or stipulations, and as applied to his current skill list, it wouldn't significantly increase the threat he posed.  That wouldn't mean that a stunt giving +3 to guns attacks, in itself, is 'balanced'.
But that just goes back to the npc power-balancing comments.
The 'stunt' isn't a problem in this instance, because it's being applied to an npc, with a relatively small game impact in combination with the character's skill selections
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 02:18:24 PM »
Can an Ogre get Greater Glamours without becoming a sidhe?  I don't want him to be one, but if he can then that would work well.

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 02:46:07 PM »
I'm fairly certain the restriction on Greater Glamours is just "must be pure fae" so you can't be a Changeling and have it. Ogres, goblins, hell even pixies like Toot-Toot are all fair game for the power.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 02:51:40 PM »
Precisely. Harry himself did not find it weird that an "ogre" had greater glamours in Summer Knight - if ogres could not have that power, lord Talos could never pass as one.

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 03:01:20 PM »
Sweet, thanks, this will make a big difference in the fight I think.