Author Topic: An Actual Shield (As in Sword and Board)??  (Read 5839 times)

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: An Actual Shield (As in Sword and Board)??
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2011, 06:08:22 PM »
I peronally just use a stunt to gain a +2 to weapon defence with a shield.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2011, 06:15:58 PM »
I peronally just use a stunt to gain a +2 to weapon defence with a shield.

That is probably the simplest thing I've seen so far... and I like it.

The problem is that "weapons" skill would probably apply to shield use as well...

And it seems a bit unfair to make someone use up 1 refresh just to be able to use a shield.

....so we go in circles again.  /sigh
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2011, 06:33:05 PM »
The problem is that "weapons" skill would probably apply to shield use as well...

And it seems a bit unfair to make someone use up 1 refresh just to be able to use a shield.

Well, if they just want to be a sword and board fighter they can defend with their Weapons skill just like anyone else. 

On the other hand, I would permit anyone with a shield to add +1 to their weapons defenses in the subsequent round as a supplemental action, no stunt.

If they take Shield Training (or whatever you want to call it) I'd make readying the shield a free action, so they'd get +1 to weapons defense whenever they have a shield in hand.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2011, 12:52:42 PM »
I dunno I think whoever mentioned it had something with the idea of it being like a mages auto block he can cast for defense.

Depending on the shield thickness and strength it might even be able to protect against lower calibers of bullets.

Either run it as a bonus to the defensive weapons roll or as a stunt like this:

Shield Defense: Kind of like how mages summons power to defend themselves through mental strength so can you through physical strength. Modify your weapons skill with your might and roll it as a temporary block against the current attack. Add a bonus to this roll for the type of shield you are using proportional to how well it can defend against the particular attack.

Maybe something along these lines.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think I like using it as a wizard style block.

Hmmm....
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2011, 04:19:43 PM »
Yeah, I never intended to split Attack and Defense like that - it is supposed to allow an actual Block in the same round as an Attack (to reflect getting the Shield in the way). I have modified it to be more clear.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:22:10 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets