Author Topic: Balanced?  (Read 1134 times)

Samael

Balanced?
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »
Here is a power I want vetted for a True Faith type.

[-3] Bastion of Faith – Your very presence backed by the force of your rock solid Faith is anathema to the forces of the Supernatural. You may spend a Fate Point to create a threshold exists equal to the score of your Conviction, within the Zone you reside for a round of combat.  You may take a mental hit as a supplemental action to extend it for another round.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 06:46:29 PM by Samael »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Balanced?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:30:11 PM »
If you look at YS150 Devout Words, a Conviction stunt, it basically does something very similar, not for a whole zone, but for yourself against one attacker. If you want to put something like that on a whole zone, you could just add a -2 modifier, just like with evocation and be done with it. I would not make it a threshold, those are reserved for homes. Blocks however should be fair game. Other than the -2 modifier for affecting a whole zone, I think there should be a very good reason, why he can suddenly bless a zone that is not exactly holy ground.

I would imagine a character like that to perform something like Devout Words and then have everyone he wants to protect hide behind him and then slowly back away to the next home or church to get them to safety. Yes, your power needs a FATE point to activate, but still, I don't think I would like a power like that, it seems too impersonal for a True Faith type character.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 03:31:18 PM »
I would make the following changes:

1) Instead of a threshold I would have the power create a block against movement into the zone equal to your conviction.
2) The block should only apply to supernatural beings whose nature is antithetical to the tenets of your Faith.
3) I would make Bless This House a prerequisite.
4) I would consider changing the name.  To me at least the phrase "Evil's Bane" would be related to an offensive power.  Maybe "Bastion of Faith," since this is essentially creating a mini-fortress?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:36:07 PM by DFJunkie »
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Samael

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
To answer both ones here is why I built it the way I did.

1) I went with Thresholds instead of a block on movement becayse it effect spellcasting which is good when the Big Guy mandates my dude go after Warlock Guy, in addition to say Rampires and other mean beasties.

Additionally Thresholds would just be how its treated mechanically not thematically (which are treated as belonging to homes), I am thinking I would go with a Holy Aura thematically.

IE it repels those who would seek to do harm slowing them down if not even stopping them in their tracks.Because of this, this power would not stack with present thresholds of a home or Holy Ground which would be way OP imo, I don't need to run the super personal power, besides that is all in the actual roleplaying fluff, not the power itself, all the power is for is for the mechanics everything else you do in game. As for why he can do Insta-Sanctuary, well same way the Knights can go toe to toe with big D Dragons, Lords of the Outer Knights, and other such entities, if manifested in a different way. His Faith and the Big Guy are powerful forces in the Dresdenverse ;)

2) It would be for antiethical beings to my Faith but also including deliberately malicious/evil spellcasters. So as a rule of thumb if the Knights of the Cross  were to oppose it, my guys ability would effect them.
3) Possibly, I'll consider it.
4) Your absolutely right, and I like the name Bastion of Faith so I will go with that.
5) I like the Devout Words stunt and I'll probably end up taking it for my main defense.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:39 PM »
The problem is that Thresholds are additive while blocks are not.

Suppose you got Dodge of 3, conviction of 4 and are wearing a military-grade vest (or full-plate, if you're a knight) for an armor of 2. You are attacked by a spellcaster with a weapon 7, control 7 attack spell and you lay down a threshold. What happens?
First, the threshold of 4 subtracts from the spells power AND the spell's control, reducing it to weapon 3, control 3. And then you get dodge 3 against it plus armor 2. The spell does 1 stress on average rolls, and fails to hit 50% of the time.

If you did the same with a block, the block would replace your defense, not add to it.