Author Topic: Counterspelling Stress cost?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Rubio

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Counterspelling Stress cost?
« on: March 18, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »
Does using a counterspell cause stress? When we were going through the Neutral Grounds adventure, another player and I had an argument about it. It was using the Earth Channeler character to counter the magical barrier around the NPC in the second encounter.

I was of the opinion that it would cost 3 stress: one for the base counterspell evocation, and two more because the barrier's power was 2 higher than the Channeler's Conviction.

The other player maintained that it would only be a 2 stress attempt, for the two shifts the Channeler would need in excess of his Conviction. He pointed to YS Page 253, where, in the example, for counterspelling a magical effect with 5 shifts of power it says that "[Harry's] Conviction is Superb (+5), so he can safely summon that much power...". Ergo, doing a counterspell against shifts up to your Conviction did not cause stress damage, only the shifts in excess of Conviction.

Which, if either, of us had the right interpretation?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Counterspelling Stress cost?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »
"Safe," in this context, should mean that it doesn't cost extra Stress. I have always interpreted it as costing just as much stress as any other Evocation of the same number of shifts.

Hexing is the only thing in the book which provides a "free" spell effect, but even hexing costs extra stress if you want to exceed your Conviction in order to hex more effectively. And that is counterbalanced by the fact that Hexing can be compelled against the PC as well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:02:44 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 05:58:42 PM »
I believe you were correct. Casting period always costs 1 stress or else you could cast all day and wizards would really be unstoppable. Then shifts in excess of your conviction cost even more on top of that 1 inflicted to cast. So yeah 3 stress hit.

Safely is probly was not the right word to use and caused confusion. Especially since Harry still needs to control that power! Nothing safe about holding a live wire in your hands unless you have rubber gloves on! And even then you're still playing with something dangerous.

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 04:32:08 PM »
Sorry this is slightly off topic, but second encounter with the NPC?

Did I miss something, did the adventure give that kind of detail and I missed it?  I thought it was weird that the file is like 25 pages but only 1.5 pages are devoted to the flow of the adventure.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »
Sorry this is slightly off topic, but second encounter with the NPC?
Did I miss something, did the adventure give that kind of detail and I missed it?  I thought it was weird that the file is like 25 pages but only 1.5 pages are devoted to the flow of the adventure.

I think the object was to provide a platform for the adventure, but to let the group dynamic determine how the game flowed, and who the villain ultimately is going to be. As such, they avoided many of the prescriptive scene recommendations which make up other RPG modules.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 04:53:35 PM »
Thanks DA.

I was scared there for a second that I missed something.   :)