Author Topic: Good opponents for low-power players?  (Read 3713 times)

Offline rpmarsh

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Good opponents for low-power players?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2011, 08:55:14 PM »
It would depend on the type of campaign you are working on:

Scions do not always have to be as powerful as they appear and often times lesser scions are dangerous but not as much as some creatures.

If you want something more powerful than mortals why not armed or enhanced mortals? Give them some one shot enchanted weapons and potions and you have a dangerous gang outfitted with an unnatural edge or a group of gangsters who hire out a ritualist.

If all else fails make up some creature based on the powers you want to use. Or the reverse works and find a monster than pick appropriate stats it.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2011, 03:17:35 AM »
I find it interesting that you seem to have assumed my players are casters.  In fact, this low-power group is one pure mortal (with Guns 4 and stunts), one Red Court Infected (Inhuman Speed and not much else), and one Minor Talent (with The Sight and Psychometry).  By comparison, my usual high-power group had one Fire Mage, one Were-bear, one pure mortal gun-nut, and one true believer who mostly supported us with maneuvers and healing (DM let him grant others temporary Inhuman Recovery on a limited basis as "Faith Healing").

Not really an assumption, just covering another possible aspect of low-power play.  By "your spellcasters" I simply mean "any spellcasters in the party".  Normally, the spellcaster starting a battle with one fate point, next to his comrade pure-mortal's three to five, isn't as big a deal when the caster has a good magical defense.  But in shallower water games, I've seen this bite casters because they lack those defenses.

As for your specific group, without a mage or some good grenades, they will have some trouble when outnumbered.  Are these the same players as your high power group, or equally savy in terms of declarations, maneuvers, ect?

It could simply be that the tactics that work well in your higher power group, with a completely different group of character types, won't work with the new characters. 

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
Really anything would work, just rachet down the skill level of the bad guy.  It seems to me the refresh cost is not a good indicator of how powerful the baddie is.  It's the skill level that does the most harm, IMO.

So you could take a demon, but make it a minor demon, with lower skills.

I also made some gremlins(not the movie kind) that have their higher skills in craftsmanship, but made them diminutive sized.  That keeps them fairly squishy, but then added the concept of "Get'em boys!" so that way the little guys can gang up if they need to for a bonus.