Author Topic: Earth Magic Brainstorming  (Read 4144 times)

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
Re: Earth Magic Brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 01:20:14 PM »
See Toph, from Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Throw rocks around, cause rocks to jut up from the ground to either aid in movement/dode or throw enemies off balance, tremorsense, lie detecting, cheating at the shell game where you have to guess where the stone is hidden, etc.

Earth rocks! (see what I did there? :p)

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 06:29:47 PM »
1. What is a non-combat interesting way to use earth magic?
Distracting noises for stealth made by rocks, sand underneath shoes to lessen noise while sneaking. A "pillow" of sand to avoid damage from long falls. A nice spell from d&d stoneform allowed the caster to become stone and travel along it reappearing instantly anywhere along stone he was touching. Imagine this in a castle made of stone.

2. What is a single target interesting way to use earth magic?
Believe it or not within your body is all the ingredients needed to form many crystalline structures. With earth magic I suppose you could "crystallize" someone's bones and create protrusions to cause bleeding or perhaps just one right into the brain cavity. The coroner would have a field day with that one.

3. What is an area of effect interesting way to use earth magic?
Theres nasty stuff under the earth in a lot of places, the only thing keeping it from the surface is layers of rock...that you control. In subduction zones there are geysers and lava. In plains areas there are aquifers storing centuries worth of rainfall, underground streams, in cavernous areas there are poisonous and natural gases toxic and even flammable, there are areas where permafrost ice has been frozen and hardened for centuries, expel that from the ground

4. What is an interesting way to block using earth magic?
Magnetic ironsand look it up cool stuff. Fill all your pockets with it and command to your liking. Also under direct sunlight it heats up enough to cause burns if you touch it.

5. What would be an interesting way to impede someones movement with earth magic?
I have one character with enchanted shoes that disintegrate earth beneath him when he activates them. Anyone trying to chase him soon finds the ground beneath them collapsing into a trench.

6.Can you think of anything else that would fit the Dresdenverse and be really neat in a game for earth magic?
Ironsand filled clothes, fun things could be achieved especially with a copper coil around your arm. (magnetic material + copper coil = electricity.)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 12:22:34 AM »
Theres nasty stuff under the earth in a lot of places, the only thing keeping it from the surface is layers of rock...that you control. In subduction zones there are geysers and lava. In plains areas there are aquifers storing centuries worth of rainfall, underground streams, in cavernous areas there are poisonous and natural gases toxic and even flammable, there are areas where permafrost ice has been frozen and hardened for centuries, expel that from the ground

Ironsand filled clothes, fun things could be achieved especially with a copper coil around your arm. (magnetic material + copper coil = electricity.)

This is an interesting way to generate the effects of other elements, but it might be interesting if you are unable to manipulate those elements. Gases and lightning might be the most dangerous to allies (and one's self) but then again it's been argued (in Your Story for that matter) that electricity could be a function of earth magic anyway.

Offline Vars

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 08:19:33 PM »
anyone have anythign else they want to add? I ask because I'm about to print this and copy what I like to my personal spell grimoire ( a journal I take to games so I don't have to remember all this lol).