Author Topic: The world according to a credenza  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Hal

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Gateway to Darkness (My DF campaign)
The world according to a credenza
« on: March 07, 2011, 03:04:18 PM »
I couldn't find this in the books, and I couldn't find this addressed on the forums after a basic search . . . a little help?

True Shapeshifting says you can transform into inanimate objects.  I can't find anything about sensory abilities when transformed as such, though.  Since chairs have neither eyes nor ears, do we say that you're unaware of your surroundings while transformed thusly?  Or do we handwave it as supernatural and thus you get your normal senses as a decorative plant?

Something in between?  Or did I just miss a sentence explaining it in the rules?
My campaign, set in St. Louis:  <a href="http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/gateway-to-darkness">Gateway to Darkness</a>

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The world according to a credenza
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
Personally I'd say that no, a character who shapeshifts into an inanimate form would not have any ability to sense its environment unless it also purchases the Supernatural Sense (YS 165) power with Modular Abilities (YS 177). 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
My take on this is that while you may not have normal senses you should certainly have supernatural senses. At the very least if you had some brains you'd make sure you built some sensory organs into your inanimate form, just disguise them as graven images or whatnot...8)

But the real question is, if you could turn yourself into furniture, what kind of furniture? Personally I might go for a door, then I can also be ajar on occasion!
I'd expect that with a high degree of craftsmanship and a specialty in furniture design you could probably make more detailed and classic furniture. Hrm, come to think of it could you transform yourself into an entire room? or a Hallway? Maybe a dining room set and make a simulacrum of yourself sitting there so you can hold a conversation while simultaneously getting a look under that hot chicks skirts...on the other hand you'd be running the risk being sat on by some random fat and foul-smelling troll...8)
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
Well, it does say in Hulking Size that it is for beings who are larger than human sized, up to the size of a house, so I'd say you can probably be a house.

You'd better prioritize Craftsmanship in your new skill list if you want to fool anyone though, and you'll probably need some might if you want to have many people walking around in you.

Now I have an idea for a shapeshifting supernatural predator that looks like a reasonably priced model home.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 03:46:06 PM by DFJunkie »
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:28:06 PM »
Or indeed becoming a large Aspidistra and demanding people say Gronda Gronda or you squirt water at them...
But that might a bit of an oblique reference if you are not English and pushing 40
So http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/adventuregame/index.shtml

Still as a method of infiltration and spying it has potential.
No one ever suspect the pot plant of being the murderer!
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 05:30:16 PM »
The Gazebo did it!

OR if you want to go with the Classics; The Gingerbread House....that eats you!

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
Suddenly all those reports of servicemen killed by coke machines take on a whole new light....

I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 05:52:53 PM »
In fiction, one generally does not see shapechangers shifting to inanimate objects which also happen to be deaf, dumb and blind. So there isn't much fictional support for charging extra.

Also, in most point-based RPGs, players are not required to buy any extra senses when they buy such shapeshifting powers for their characters. Unless one can think of other RPGs which *do* insist that, I feel that there is insufficient RPG precedent for charging extra.

For these two reasons, I am disinclined to insist on extra senses for someone changing shape into an object.

As for Crafstmanship, that is a brilliant idea - I am wondering if it needs to be a Stunt though, or just a house rule for inanimate objects.

At the least, I would imagine Craftsmanship could Modify the Deceit check. There has to be *some* minimal amount of Deceit involved in pretending to be an object, if for no other reason than the fact that one has to remain perfectly still and not flinch when someone bumps into you (or carves initials in you, fills you with silverware, sprays you with Lemon Pledge, etc), and otherwise "act" like a door/box/credenza/etc.

Maybe use a Craftsmanship roll for people perceiving you in a cursory manner, but Deceit for actual attempts to penetrate your disguise.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:18:04 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:31 PM »
The reason I'd want the character to take Supernatural Sense is that it's a sense that the Credenza has no right possessing.  On the other hand, if the character turned into a fruit bat I would not charge him for flight or echolocation, since those are things that a bat can do normally.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
Maybe a Stunt that allows the character to sue Craftsmanship as Deceit?

Anything that can turn themselves into an inanimate object should retain their senses by default, despite their new forms they are still a living creature, maybe undead but you get the idea. I might impose some aspects on them as a result of the new form; "Easily Stained", "Dust Magnet", "Sedentary Lifestyle" etc...

Does lead to some interesting ideas; what if the Amityville House was actually a creature that got tricked into turning into a House then locked in that form? Maybe a demon? A take on the old "If you keep making faces your face will freeze like that!" saying...8)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 06:43:47 PM »
The reason I'd want the character to take Supernatural Sense is that it's a sense that the Credenza has no right possessing.

This is magic. The shapeshifter has no right to be a credenza, either.

On the other hand, if the character turned into a fruit bat I would not charge him for flight or echolocation, since those are things that a bat can do normally.

Characters with True Shapeshifting are really good at disguising, but while they are not obligated to take Modular Abilities, that power build is recommended, which I take to mean that if you want to take any "Creature Features, certain Minor Abilities (page 169), Speed (page 178), Strength (page 183), and Toughness (page 184)," then you need Modular Abilities. If True Shapeshifting had the benefits of Modular Abilities, it would have been in the power description, not in the "Options" section: "Options: None, but the Modular Abilities power (above) is recommended." (YS 177).

About the only thing True Shapeshifting guarantees is a bonus to Deceit/Stealth checks, and the "Skill Shuffle" ability from the Beast Change power. True Shapeshifting is essentially an enhanced Beast Change power.

The shapeshifter in this case *should* be spending Refresh to buy Echoes of the Beast to get the echolocation, Fly to be able to fly, and Diminutive Size to be the size of a Fruitbat.

That said, if a GM is generously granting 4 Refresh worth of powers for free, and not obligating a True Shapeshifter to also take Modular Abilities to power their new forms, then yes: I'd happily take the limitation of needing to pay 1 Refresh for a credenza-legal Supernatural sense, in order to get all those other powers for free when I transform into a Minotaur (or perhaps an Elephant), add in Hulking Size, Supernatural Strength, etc., all without needing to pay for them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:59:21 PM by devonapple »

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »
I allways think that within reason true shapeshifting should include creature features for 4 refresh, if you transform into something with wings you should have wings and dito with claws and for 4 refresh +2 for modular abilities at submerged level you only get three refresh worth of modular abilities on which you would probably at least a point off on creature features.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 07:12:06 PM »
I'd give you Hulking Size for the Elephant, but not Supernatural Might.  Yeah, elephants can move a lot of weight, but no more than their size would indicate.  The Might powers, IMO, are reserved for things that are stronger than simple physical muscle and sinew can account for.  As for a Minotaur?  So you have a human body with a bull's head, I'd give you claws at best.  

The reason I'd allow the bat to have echolocation and flight is that, they have a bat's options for dealing with problems.  Those options are, as far as I can tell, "fly away" or "crap on it." 

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 07:21:54 PM »
The reason I'd allow the bat to have echolocation and flight is that, they have a bat's options for dealing with problems.  Those options are, as far as I can tell, "fly away" or "crap on it." 

That's not essentially true. The unmentioned third option is that it can change shape into something else that can deal with this problem more effectively, which is one of the reasons this is already so powerful without tacking on free powers. Being able to shuffle one's skills in essentially any way one wishes has a great impact on any scenario, and I feel this plot agency is being seriously undervalued.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 07:28:50 PM »
Now I want to play in a game as a were-house...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.