Author Topic: How could I build this?  (Read 2715 times)

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
How could I build this?
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:33:10 PM »
I would like to make a character that will serve as an NPC.

I want him to be a caster of sorts, with his focus being a glove with a circle imprinted into the palm.  It is linked to another circle, somewhere else.

Whatever he places into the linked circle, and closes it with his will, he can command through his glove.

I know that sounds confusing, let's give it an example.

Character places a lit sterno can in the circle.  He focuses on his intent on when he calls upon it, and closes the circle with his will.

Now, he can let fly with some fire action out of his glove.

Basically, I view it as a channeler who can change his channeling, at the expense of not having as much flexibiltiy when he weilds.

Does this make sense?  Is it even possible within the confines of the rules?

Offline Van_DeMark

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: How could I build this?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:39:44 PM »
so an evocationer who has opened all the elements but doesn't have enough to just go with one element, instead all of them at the same time type deal, using the twin circles as his focus switch? (I'm guessing here)
Current Kill count: 733

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:40:39 PM »
I would probably call it sponsored magic Sprit Magic, what you are doing when putting fire in one end of the circles is sacrafising/dedicating that flame to the local spirit of fire who then allows you to use its fire in response with the agenda of burning and chaos. If you put a plant in the circle you are making an agreement with the local plant spirits who give you growing powers with the agenda that they want you to spread rampant growth and get rid of blocks to growing.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 11:43:46 PM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Van_DeMark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 11:42:26 PM »
so your sponsor gives you Evacation as their payment and you have to choose which entity you want to call up to use their powers? interesting and technically the books don't say its not possible

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 11:50:49 PM »
Basically, I view it as a channeler who can change his channeling, at the expense of not having as much flexibiltiy when he weilds.

Does this make sense?  Is it even possible within the confines of the rules?
Sure, Channelling plus Modular Abilities would model it fairly well.  As GM I'd even consider a discount since changing elements appears to require a ritual of some sort.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
I would agree with bitterpill, mechanically the easiest way is to just use sponsored magic for it. the themes of it is "whatevers in the circle"
Brian Blacknight

Offline batmanjr

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 11:52:44 PM »
I like the sponsored magic idea, since that way it's easier to explain why just putting a block of ice in a circle gives you water elemental evocation.

BUT

What sort of payment would be legitimate?  And would the spirit sponsor be like an evocation broker that would go out and find the appropriate element spirit?

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »
What sort of payment would be legitimate?  And would the spirit sponsor be like an evocation broker that would go out and find the appropriate element spirit?

Simply removing the debt mechanic entirely is a fairly balanced decision. you loose about as much as you gain. and then you dont have to justify it as coming from some sentient source.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Van_DeMark

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 11:57:25 PM »
that and it allows you to not have to worry about your sponsor sneaking up on you and making you do whatever it wants as often

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 12:13:25 AM »
If you still want to have a sentient spirit power source then your character would either be some sort of spirit avatar who can make contract with what ever sprits you want or you are using a spirit broker who is likly got his own agenda which the GM should decide (probably something dark unexplained). In terms of legitimate payment it would depened on the source you are using for water spirits fishing out litter from a river or stream would be an appropriate payement, for a fire spirit the lighted sterno would do.  It would probably be easier to say that what was in the circle was not so much the payement to your spirit but just a sign of your contract with each particular spirit. 
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 12:16:03 AM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 04:33:54 PM »
Simply removing the debt mechanic entirely is a fairly balanced decision. you loose about as much as you gain. and then you dont have to justify it as coming from some sentient source.

Precisely.  For example, a Ley Line can be considered a Sponsored Magic source.  A well of energy beneath this circle would suffice (though it would be probably -1 or -2 depending on the source's strength)