Author Topic: The Feel of the DF: Witticisms  (Read 7940 times)

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The Feel of the DF: Witticisms
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 09:02:41 PM »
Don't worry for the player. The laughers will eventually get what's coming to them in the end.

I see what you did there!  ;)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »
I see what you did there!  ;)
They: Should: Be: Careful: With: Such: Potent: Magic: Misuse: Might: Make: Them: Start: Talking: Like: This:
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 09:12:11 PM »
They: Should: Be: Careful: With: Such: Potent: Magic: Misuse: Might: Make: Them: Start: Talking: Like: This:

Colon overload error! Please replace!
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 09:23:03 PM »
Colon overload error! Please replace!
Seriously?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 09:56:40 PM »
Colon overload error!

AAAHahahah!!!  :D

Yes, more dirty jokes pls!!

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 10:53:22 PM »
Yes, but there were martial arts that Knights and such were trained in.  Heck, we don't even have very good records overall of the fighting styles with swords and other weapons.  A LOT was lost even if some survives, especially compared to the Far East as best I understand it.

That's because the laws about peasants not owning weapons lingered far longer in the East than the West.  The reason that many martial arts weapons resemble farming instruments is that peasants carrying weapons were killed on sight, but they still needed to defend themselves from bandits.

Of course weapon laws and bandits weren't the only reason the martial arts lingered there.  There was the whole "ban firearms because they undermine the noble swordsman" mentality when came to warfare.

Richard

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 12:37:29 AM »
That's because the laws about peasants not owning weapons lingered far longer in the East than the West.  The reason that many martial arts weapons resemble farming instruments is that peasants carrying weapons were killed on sight, but they still needed to defend themselves from bandits.

Swords have plenty of martial arts associated with them, as do most other "real" weapons.  The fact that firearms supplanted things so thoroughly in the west is why the martial arts associated with knights and the like have only left behind fragments.  Note that the east still kept a lot of their stuff regarding the use of swords and other weapons of war.  By the time more modern weapons came to them, it was already very close to the modern era and most of those martial arts were able to make a transition to hobbies and cultural curiosities that didn't happen in the west.  I would wager this probably has to do a lot with how much leisure time we have these days, the ease of travel, and the spread of information.  A few hundred years ago there just wasn't the time and infrastructure to support martial arts continuing as hobbies very well...so most of the western ones vanished.

Offline Warpmind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 01:42:10 AM »
Swords have plenty of martial arts associated with them, as do most other "real" weapons.  The fact that firearms supplanted things so thoroughly in the west is why the martial arts associated with knights and the like have only left behind fragments.  Note that the east still kept a lot of their stuff regarding the use of swords and other weapons of war.  By the time more modern weapons came to them, it was already very close to the modern era and most of those martial arts were able to make a transition to hobbies and cultural curiosities that didn't happen in the west.  I would wager this probably has to do a lot with how much leisure time we have these days, the ease of travel, and the spread of information.  A few hundred years ago there just wasn't the time and infrastructure to support martial arts continuing as hobbies very well...so most of the western ones vanished.

A curious factoid springs to mind... In this world, there were people who were born in a feudal medieval society, who ended up killed by an atomic bomb...
Ah, isolationist empires.
...You know the character is special, when reloading his frying pan is the right thing to do in a battle on the high seas...

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 04:36:53 AM »
A curious factoid springs to mind... In this world, there were people who were born in a feudal medieval society, who ended up killed by an atomic bomb...
Ah, isolationist empires.

Hmm, and in the Dresdenverse, there are probably many martials arts that DID survive in the west among Wardens.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 06:13:37 PM »
A Mercenary team for the Coperation of London were given the task of babysitting a Denarian, the Denarian then asked what was worth watching at the West End  to which one of the Merc replied "Wicked I think would suit your personality".
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Aminar

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2011, 07:51:02 AM »
My group has a bizzare and very personal sense of humor.
My Lycanthrope player DM's a Serenity campaign so over the top I couldn't resist giving him a weapon 2 magic knife of relative uselessness as satire of his own campaign.  This character is also hilariously reckless at at times.(He owes a white court vamp several favors for bailing him out after he got arrested and then proceeded to bash the door off of the cop car and get run over by the next cop car in the line.
My GF's character is both an emmisary of Puck and based off of Luna Lovegood.  She has a bit of a sugar obsession(more than a bit) and is more than a little cracked which leads to quite a bit of humor.
Our group NPC is a former WOD character of mine that is old, grumpy, loves whores, and is more than a little racist.  He is also the parties Bob(Used his death curse to lock his ghost into a Red Court Vampire skull after wiping out all the reds in the Twin Cities)
The Changelings Mom was last seen as Santa's consort and is in general known to be rather promiscuous(which for the fae probably doesn't mean much, but bothers the character immensely.)
There are also a variety of uncomfortable allegations about the werewolf dog trainer and her dogs...
Lastly there is the idea that while The Erlking represents the Hunt(natural selection), Puck represents natural anomalies and useless growth.  His symbol is the Platypus.  I have them as a natural Law vs Chaos axis.

My style of humor runs far closer to Harry's than any of the players, but I'm the GM I run the game, so it doesn't show as much.

Offline Warpmind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
Mmm, the Changeling Prosecutor I play sports a disturbingly deadpan absurd kind of humor... A lobbyist asked for support, and received a bookend... Another politician wanted to add my prosecutor's voice to his cause, and was granted it... leading to awkward situations when my prosecutor's "Inhuman Voice" aspect started to affect him... Also, he knows nothing about his mother, save she is an Unseelie Noble. He knows that Grimalkin is, for all purposes, an Unseelie Noble. He prefers not to think too much about that...
...You know the character is special, when reloading his frying pan is the right thing to do in a battle on the high seas...