Author Topic: Magic Pants For Shapeshifters  (Read 5525 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Magic Pants For Shapeshifters
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 06:07:16 AM »
It just really doesn't seem like a huge disadvantage to me. Most of the time they're just going to shift back and grab a pair of sweats from a friend. You're just cutting that bit of narrative out. As far as the other times when it might inconvenience them, they're just expressing that that isn't something that they want to focus on. I have no problem if they don't want to deal with that specific downside, I can find others to focus on and I'm sure both the player and I will enjoy it much more.

If we can have magic pants for shapeshifter then why not magic sunblock for Red Court Vampires or magic garlic blockers for Black Court Vampires or spells to repel Iron for the fae...

That last one would be tricky to do with Fae magic, but there's no reason to think that a mortal wizard couldn't make something like that - only gamewise it's bad for inherent weaknesses to be worked around.  You take the good, you take the bad, and there you have your supernatural package.  Having only the good stuff doesn't make the character half as enjoyable as having the mixed bag of tricks.

Nor does having a workaround for a hard limitation like that fit with the setting.  If mortal mages could cast "protection from Iron" on Fae then a certain Summer Lady would have had her pet mage cast it on her and Toot-toot would have never completed his charge.

And with weres in the books, how many times has Harry mentioned being uncomfortable around all the naked flesh when the Alphas are doing their switch? If magic clothes were easy to make he would lend them his aid.  Seriously, if it was easy to magic up clothing that could handle the change then Billy would at least have a magic speedo and Georgia would have something beach legal to wear.

Really? This is comparing a mild inconvenience to death. This is like saying that a spell that allowed one to be comfortable in mild cold is comparable to a spell that allows one to swim in magma. These are two very different things.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 06:27:13 AM »
I did a game where I played a werebear. Ran several zones away and across a city street... Battle ended and I was stuck with the prospect of getting more attention by returning to my clothes or having to be naked a while.

My wife (the GM) had a good, evil laugh about that one... Had to wait for the other players to pull the car around.

I liked having to deal with the clothing issue but other groups may find it bothersome. YMMV.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »
Really? This is comparing a mild inconvenience to death. This is like saying that a spell that allowed one to be comfortable in mild cold is comparable to a spell that allows one to swim in magma. These are two very different things.

Indeed.  Both are allowable though.  A spell that stops iron from touching a Fae?  That's just a block with a very narrow spectrum (and like any block can be overcome) -- or possibly armor.  A spell that lets you swim in magma?  Well, that's more complicated than JUST a block against heat since you also need to handle getting proper air, but it is theoretically possible in the game.

Anyhow, it isn't like wereform game balance is predicated on pants.  That's a supremely minor issue as you say.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 08:12:14 AM »
It takes time for hypothermia to set in, even at 6 F.  :)  When I was younger (and stupider) I used to go from snow to the jacuzzi and back...

That is supposed to be incredibly good for your skin, I'm told.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
I think this debate has been underscoring the difficulties I've been having deciding what to do in this case.  :)

So, to summarize, there's basically two viewpoints: one, that a set of clothing that changes with you is essentially cosmetic, much like Wizard's Constitution, in that it has some major implications but for actual day-to-day gameplay doesn't matter that much, and the second, in which it is a big deal, and is a lessening of one of the major problems with being a were-form, with no tradeoff and is a much bigger issue than you would otherwise think, given precedent.  (Trying to do my best for a one sentence summary, I know I missed nuances, but, beyond that, is that a fair summary?)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 06:35:10 PM »
I think that is a great summary.

Richard

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
I did a game where I played a werebear. Ran several zones away and across a city street... Battle ended and I was stuck with the prospect of getting more attention by returning to my clothes or having to be naked a while.

My wife (the GM) had a good, evil laugh about that one... Had to wait for the other players to pull the car around.

I liked having to deal with the clothing issue but other groups may find it bothersome. YMMV.

That feels like a compel to the high concept to me.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 09:09:29 PM »
That feels like a compel to the high concept to me.

Yeah... My wife is mean... No FP...

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 11:58:38 AM »
"I tend to favor the Animorphs approach, I think they are able to shift forms while wearing clothes that are skin tight... like a wet suit."

I'm a total Animorphs fan (well, I hate the way it ended, but that's a long story). But I wouldn't allow "skintight clothing included" unless the person could switch into multiple shapes.

Dian

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 02:59:35 PM »
I'm a total Animorphs fan (well, I hate the way it ended, but that's a long story).
No, it's a short story: the author can't write decent endings to save her life...  Animorphs... Remnants... Everworld... notice a pattern here?

But I wouldn't allow "skintight clothing included" unless the person could switch into multiple shapes.
So, so far, based on the various comments, I think I'm going to go with the "you get a fate point for having to run around naked in human form as a self-compel against your high concept, perhaps two if the environment is particularly hostile."
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 03:11:50 PM »
back in the early 90's when I was running a game using the Night life RPG one of the PC's was a wolf-were.
She (and I'm not sure this would work for a male character- but I guess that woudl depend on teh 'adult content' level of your game) had a collar that fitted well in her wolf form and looked like some strange goth-like affectation in her human form. The collar had a small internal pocket that concealed in it a roll up 'boob-tube' style dress. So when she found herself needed a human form at short notice she could remove the collar, take out the dress and pull it on.
Of course it was rather form fitting, included no underwear and did lead male personages to make certain assumptions as to her motivations for being down dark alleys late at night... But at least she was never arrested for indecency. (Assault in responding to one to many come ons a little more forcefully than required yes- indecency no)
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Wolfwood2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
In my view, if a player doesn't want to deal with the hassle of not having clothing then he doesn't have to.  I'm happy to say that this particular PC is just a really awesome shapeshifter who has mastered the art of morphing clothing, and NPCs look on in jealousy.

And no, it's not going to cost him anything.  Refresh cost is a very rough-grained system anyway.  I don't think the problems of being naked were figured into the costs or anything.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 08:31:28 AM »
Here is a wrinkle no one has mentioned
Someone finds the shifters discarded pants/dress/purse and takes their wallet
Identity theft? Plain old theft?
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 09:12:42 AM »

Any problems due to disrobing are compels against their High Concept.  Not having to disrobe means that's just not a valid compel.

Offline Warpmind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 12:29:26 PM »

Ooooh, nasty... Werecharacter shifts into something smaller, and their clothes are "stored" in the Nevernever with their excess mass and intellect. (As mentioned on YS83 in the PDF version, not sure where in the hardcover...) This is fine and dandy, but then some fairly ignorant little pixie or something finds this lump of stuff, and decides that he just found a huge bundle of free trade goods... Most of it disappeared before he could salvage it all, but he got this fancy leather thing with bits of metal, odd paper and some strange bits he can't identify well... And what does VISA mean, anyway? But surely, it could be used to trade with others, right?
...You know the character is special, when reloading his frying pan is the right thing to do in a battle on the high seas...