Author Topic: Soul Reapers?  (Read 2710 times)

FutureGameDesigner

Soul Reapers?
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:33:56 PM »
[edited: 2-9-11, 1:20pm, bottom half of page]

I'll probably suffer some persecution for suggesting this, but after perusing the boards I discovered someone had tried to incorporate Highlander-style immortals into the DFRPG.  I thought it looked really good, but that thread seems to have died, so I decided not to necro it.

No one here has probably seen it, but there's an anime named Bleach that I happen to like.  The main plot isn't really important to this topic, but rather the setting and circumstances.  Evil spirits which are most often corrupted formerly human souls that go around feeding off other souls and spirits.  To "police" these creatures, a society of humans souls that have passed on have developed powers to fight them and returned to the mortal realm in spirit form to deal with the threat.

For breadth of applicability, I recommend stripping most of the asian themes regarding how they and their weapons appear.  At least include an explanation that while the group may have begun in the afterlife among mostly asian souls, it has spread and therefore someone from any former walk of life may potentially be a soul reaper.

The show doesn't carry the same noir feel of the Dresdenverse, but I've always felt that it should've...a little less DBZ and a little more Death Note (despite the irony that I dislike both shows).  A world like the Dresdenverse where people like the Ectomancer guy (I forget his name), are usually all the contact anyone has with the spirit world...because soul reapers are the ones doing the real work.  Practitioners would be especially juicy meals for Hollows, making a legitimate reason for them to gather in the sorts of places people will play their games, and thus attracting Soul Reapers.

Now, the point of all this, is to make an established but thinly spread group to combat spiritual evil (and by interaction material evil), in the same sort of theme and mood one might normally find in the Dresdenverse.  It's really only meant to be loosely based on the anime.

Before I go trying to think of ways their powers might be adjusted and worked out, I'd prefer to take a measurement of the climate and see how receptive everyone is to the idea first.  If people are interested enough, I'll pop out a few ideas and everyone's welcome to offer suggestions and such too.

- - - - -

I'm sorry that it's been so long without even so much as a how-do-ya-do, but between school, life, and laziness, I kind of spaced it.  However, the project hasn't been abandoned or forgotten, so while it's not much, there is some progress to report.

This is all there is for now, there will be additions and such in hopefully the near future.  For any still interested, more suggestions are welcome.

Description:
      Since the dawn of humanity, the souls of mortals have been targets of vicious and merciless monsters, and always there have been guardians to stand between those souls and their tormentors.  These guardians were first natural spirits who took pity on humanity, but soon the souls they defended grew stronger and began to defend themselves and others.  Unfortunately, so too did lost souls find themselves so corrupted and empty that they became greater monsters still.
      For many thousands of years each culture had its own afterlife, the underworld, Sheol, Purgatory, the spirit world; and versions of Soul Reapers, calling them Grim Reapers, Valkyries, Angels of Death, Death Gods and the like.  But with the onset of World War II and deeper, more frequent cultural interactions, conflict inevitably also broke out between the different guardians of the dead.  In the end, however, all were incorporated into a single fighting force, though with much stronger asian influences.
      Today, while each culture maintains its own flavor, all are a part of what is now called Soul Society.  It is there where the worthy and innocent reside in death until reincarnation or graduation from one of the Soul Reaper academies.
   Musts:
      As always, the high concept must include a reference to the character's nature as a Soul Reaper.  As per the rules for Items of Power, one of the other aspects also must refer to their Zanpakuto.
      Wizard's Constitution
      Ghost Speaker
      Spirit Form
      Item of Power (Zanpakuto, +1 discount)
         Zanpakuto are more than just weapons, they are for all intents and purposes, the spiritual twins of their Soul Reapers.  They have their own thoughts and intentions, and Soul Reapers must learn to communicate with and understand themselves and their Zanpakuto to grow stronger.
   Options:
      While a Soul Reaper is viable at Chest-Deep Power Level, options are only
available at Submerged or higher: A stronger Item of Power; Any of Inhuman Speed, Channeling, and Ritual; An upgrade of any or all of Inhuman Speed, Channeling, and Ritual; the Strength or Toughness powers; or Bankai.  And of course any stunts.  Soul Reapers are often skilled in the art of Shunpo, or Flash-Stepping, but not always.  The same is true of Kido, or "Demon Magic", though this name is something of a misnomer as the art is identical to that of normal mortal magic.  Not all Soul Reapers possess all or even any of these skills, and some rely solely (and disturbingly successfully) on their Zanpakuto or even sheer brute force.
   Important Skills:
      Athletics, Alertness, Conviction, Discipline, Lore, Investigation
   Minimum Refresh Cost:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:54:11 PM by FutureGameDesigner »

Offline Khairn

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Soul Reapers?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:28:40 PM »
I may not be a big Bleach fan, but I'd like to see what concepts you've got in mind.  Even with the Asian themes intact, I think a soul reaper styled power source and conflict could be a solid fit in your Dresdenverse game. 

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:18:50 AM »
i'm a pretty big bleach fan and i think it would be awesome to incorporate bleach ideas with a grittier dresdeny feel. I'm totally open to the idea and if it starts i would probably throw some ideas in.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline EldritchFire

• Conversationalist
  • Everyone needs magical fire in their lives!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog: EldritchFire Press
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:26:15 PM »
I'd be game to help with a shinigami conversion. Rukia...*drool*

I mean, DFRPG could work well for a Bleach-style game, me thinks.

-EF
This isn't D&D where you can have a team of psychopathic good guys running around punching everyone you disagree with.
Twitter
My Blog

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:17:22 PM »
Well, just in case this one doesn't drum up enough interest, there's another concept waiting in the wings.  If neither pan out, maybe I'll turn to pitching ideas for immortals instead.

Hopefully though, both ideas catch fire and burn long.

I'll give both til the end of next week before I decide.

Offline JDdan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 12:04:37 AM »
Well thinking about it, most things I remember seeing in Bleach could have a reasonable analog with this rule set. I think the varying levels of Zanpakutō release would be the most difficult to work out. Other than that I would say the list of supernatural powers could be used with maybe a few alterations to cover most of the abilities.

Disclaimer: I'm still adjusting to these rules too, so my interpretation of specific powers is subject to review :P

Kidō is mostly evocation, using attacks (Way of Destruction) or blocks/maneuvers (Way of Binding). The few healing effects the show displays seem very similar to biomancy, and the barriers are really just a type of ward or block.

The BIG effects like the Sōkyoku execution fit with Thaumaturgy.

Shunpo could be played as supernatural or (probably) mythic speed. There are just a lot of characters in bleach that have it.

Characters would most likely have Spirit Form, with it attached to Human Form for people like Ichigo Kurosaki (assuming you can attach it like you would with Beast Change), and a number of other powers based on which flavor they were. Possibly Demonic Co-Pilot also?

As to Zanpakutō I'm a bit unsure of how to do a catch-all rule for them, since there's a big spread on the powers they show. Maybe something along the lines of an Item Of Power that grants varying levels of modular abilities? A sort of shapeshifting? Summoning?

I've got someone in my group who is looking at something in this general direction too, so I'm interested in what we can turn up. :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 12:06:09 AM by JDdan »
Only those with narrow minds fail to see that the definition of impossible is "Lack of imagination and incentive."
-Dune: Butlerian Jihad

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 02:16:46 AM »
Well, I think there's enough support and interest to take a stab at hammering out some rules for soul reapers.  So I'll get to that sometime in the near future.  Right now I don't have the pdfs on my laptop so it'll have to wait.  But it will happen.

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:10:45 PM »
Finally got something down, long way to go yet though.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 09:22:55 PM »
I'm not gonna be overly critical or anything.  Had to redo about 4 paragraphs of text, when I realized I had broken my original intent >.<

Basically, very cool idea, and I hope it works out for you.  But you might also want to look into some of the other Fate games/systems, and see how those treat you for your purposes.  DFRPG to me seems maybe a bit grittier and dangerous then what I would first imagine for a Bleach/ish setting, but again, if it works for you, then awesome!

But if you want to look at other systems, I'd maybe think the "Strands of Fate" game might be helpful...  I could be dead wrong though >.<  Its based of the fate system, and has a much more open ended way of doing well...  Just about everything you could imagine.  But it also goes into a much different rule set and such, and it WOULD be learning a whole new game, just with the basic Fate system still in place.

Anyway, good luck, and hope everything goes well.
my 2 cents

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:23:50 PM »
A Zanpakutō would be a +1 Item of Power (easily hidden).  Probably the easiest way to model the various powers would be with Refinement spent on Enchanted Items (power still based on the Lore of the character unless someone has a better idea, but for consistency's sake it shouldn't be based on a combat skill).  or grabbing certain Supernatural Powers like Breath Weapon (though it is overpriced).  A lot of these weapons are hideously powerful and might need multiple points in Refinement to duplicate or just custom-powers.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:37:33 AM »
The power of the Zanpakutō should defiantly be off conviction rather than lore, as the Zanpakutō’ seem to get stronger will the fighters battle spririt and killing itent. 
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

FutureGameDesigner

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 11:22:31 PM »
@ jybil178
No worries, the gritty danger is actually what I want.  I always felt Bleach should've been a little more harsh.

@ Drachasor
They are +1 discount Items of Power, I just mistakenly put a - instead, fixed now.

I agree that using a combat skill would be a bad idea for basing any of a Soul Reaper's powers on.  As spirit beings, Conviction, Discipline, and Lore should be foremost.

The idea of using refinements as a foundation for determining a Zanpakuto's powers is an interesting one, and might work.  Gotta figure something out because the Sword of the Cross is a lousy example in the book.  The Holy Touch ability of it is about the only thing that has at least a rough equivalent of a power in the book.  Granted we're supposed to come up with our own powers, but some kind of example using what was already available would've been more useful for comparison.

@ bitterpill
I think it's variable.  I think Kido-type Zanpakuto like Aizen's and Soi Fong's should be based on Lore, Elemental-types like Yamamoto's and Toshiro's on Discipline, and Combat-types like Kenpachi's and Ichigo's on Conviction.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »
What do you recon Aizen's lore would be I was trying to stat absolute hypnosis, I see it as two parts the first part is showing people the ritual which places a sticky aspect of 'witnessed the ritual' on all those who viewed it for the rest of their life. The second part the Zanpakuto actual power would be an area of effect incredibly potent mental grapple using the tagged aspect ‘witnessed the ritual’ which I would put at least power 20 (no one can resist it) so if Aizen’s lore is 10 then it would represent a power of 20 + 10 area (5 zones) and another +20 for duration (using thaumaturgy timescale) at least 20 times a session. So it would represent 60 enchanted item slots so 15 refinement and ignoring all the limitation on item creation. This may show a slight power level problem in adapting bleach for Fate.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 01:19:01 AM »
What do you recon Aizen's lore would be I was trying to stat absolute hypnosis, I see it as two parts the first part is showing people the ritual which places a sticky aspect of 'witnessed the ritual' on all those who viewed it for the rest of their life. The second part the Zanpakuto actual power would be an area of effect incredibly potent mental grapple using the tagged aspect ‘witnessed the ritual’ which I would put at least power 20 (no one can resist it) so if Aizen’s lore is 10 then it would represent a power of 20 + 10 area (5 zones) and another +20 for duration (using thaumaturgy timescale) at least 20 times a session. So it would represent 60 enchanted item slots so 15 refinement and ignoring all the limitation on item creation. This may show a slight power level problem in adapting bleach for Fate.

Some stuff will either have to get toned down and just turned into plot devices.