Author Topic: Invoking/Compelling for Effect?  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Invoking/Compelling for Effect?
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:47:03 AM »
So, some of the people in my group and I have hit a brick wall with Invoking and Compelling Aspects for effect.  Mainly we don't know what exactly is possible to do.  I know that you basically make a declaration on the person or scene but there were very few examples of this listed in the book.  So what effects have you all gotten from aspects?

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Invoking/Compelling for Effect?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
I hate to give a cop out answer, but really it's one of those things where it can do anything your group feels comfortable with it doing.  So far as rules go you can do 3 things with aspects

1) Add +2 to a relevant die roll
2) Make a declaration (add an aspect) as appropriate
3) Exert narrative control.

The first two are fairly straight forward, the third is where most of the power and problems lie though.  Personally I like aspects to be very powerful, I feel that being able to exert a lot of narrative control makes the game more engaging and dynamic.  In my games we're have someone use a combanation of 3 aspects (LEAKING GAS from the previous aspect TIPPED OVER TRUCK, CRAFT SERVICES TABLE from the previous aspect ON SET and B-MOVIE ACTION STAR which was a character's high concept) with the result of creating a weapon 4 attack over a zone.  In another story I was in a couple of times party members used the scene's aspect ON THE CLIFF'S EDGE to narrate enemies falling to their death after a successful attack (which itself was not powerful enough to kill).

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:49:46 PM »
Aspect: Observant
Invoke for Effect:  "I just happened to notice [ITEM] that would be useful right about now."

Basically you can use it to dictate details about the game as if you were a game master.  Is there a fire?  You can happen to notice, or have in your possession, an extinguisher.

A: Well Connected
E: "I just happen to know someone who could help us with this situation."

A: War Veteran
E: "I had that nerve cluster moved after I got hit with shrapnel in the war."

A: Famous and Beautiful
E: "Oh, you're a fan!"

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »
In my game one of my players has "rodney dangerfield complex". He's a 18 inch tall fairy. whenever someone makes a comment to disrespect him I compel his one aspect to stand up for himself and start talking back to him. combine this with another player who has a smart mouth and an aspect "Say what?". She made an off comment about his size (had to do with a dog collar). I compelled his aspect to stand up for himself and give some lip to my second player who I compelled with her aspect to start a social conflict with each other.

Anything is possible if the person in question is willing to work with the fate points, I suggest though that for compelling that you spell out both sides. Tell them what happens if they accept the FP and what happens if they turn it down.
"The door is ajar"

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »
I don't know for Sure if this works, but here is an actual spell I came up, inspired by devonapple's thread about a bridge spell a while back.

If you want the full info, just give me a holler, and I'll go find it, these are just the cliffnotes pretty much, hehe...

Its a two spell process, evocation by the way.  The first spell is lighter then the first one, an earth spell that gathers a great amount of magnetic energy and atmospheric particles, placing the aspect of "The Aurora" on the zone border, between where you are and need to go.  The second spell uses the first spell as an invoke, and places another aspect on the zone, "Bridging the Gap", which is the one that I then Invoke for Effect to allow passage for your and your group.  The second spell is a doozy, but I think its somewhat similar to ((book 9??, White Night))
(click to show/hide)
my 2 cents