Author Topic: Thresholds and Shape Shifters  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Ranthog

• Participant
    • View Profile
Thresholds and Shape Shifters
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:32:53 AM »
I am running a game and we have two different shape shifting characters.  Offhandedly in the game last night I mentioned that I thought that the threshold they had just crossed without invitation would suppress at least some of their powers.  With most things I look to the RPG books and then to actual books themselves.  In fact, Your Story  but I can think of a time where any of the alphas or hexen wolves shape shifted behind a threshold they were not invited behind... Nor were they ever in a position to need to.

Personally after looking through the rules, I'm just inclined to have thresholds suppress or block supernatural abilities outside of True Faith abilities outlined in the books, starting with the active and offensive powers first and the last powers are the defensive and passive abilities.  Some exceptions for things like Casandra's Tears, and other powers where the power is physically part of the creature, for instance if an Ogre is strong enough to get past your threshold he's going to be very strong still.

I'm just still struggling with this since I know there is some disagreement in my gaming group on this issue.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: Thresholds and Shape Shifters
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 06:38:55 AM »
I would say they couldn't shift inside the Threshold without invitation. So once they go in, they are either human or animal. Otherwise, no penalties.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Ranthog

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 06:48:34 AM »
I probably should mention that they have other abilities linked to their shifting like Supernatural Toughness, Supernatural Speed, and Supernatural Recovery.  One of them has abilities that manifest in human form because they come from an item of power. 

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 07:37:30 AM »
Well, if they are getting the power because they are an animal that qualifies for that power, they shouldn't have it Thresholded. An Item of Power might have some of its powers downgraded, I am not sure.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+