Author Topic: Help Me Get Out of These Ropes  (Read 2369 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Help Me Get Out of These Ropes
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:28:24 AM »
I can see several factors coming into play when one character binds another, such as with rope, or handcuffs. Generally, I think most of us can assume that being bound like that is most likely an element of a Concession or being Taken Out, and the bonds will come off when it comes time. Conversely, the right Aspect means that a bound character could just buy his way out at the right time with a Fate Point.

But having rules for escaping such bonds could suit plenty of character archetypes, so if a GM opted to make it an option, how would we rule it, without creating too many rules?

I can see the Escapee's Athletics, Stealth and Might possibly coming into play. Manufactured bonds would just be a Static difficulty assigned by the GM. Actual rope-tying would be some sort of test between the binder and the victim, and I imagine the binder would use Scholarship or maybe Craftsmanship. How would we build a Stunt for people who are good at slipping bonds?

Then again, maybe it is best if this remains a function of Aspects, Compels, Concessions and Fate Points.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me Get Out of These Ropes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 06:03:08 AM »
Might to break em, Athletics to untie em. A Contortionist Stunt would might allow an invoke at +3. Or how about a "No bonds can hold me" stunt where you take a minor consequence but free yourself?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:18:45 AM »
Well, I don't think a concession like "you stay tied up and can't free yourself" is appropriate.  Something like "I get to tie you up/imprison you" is good, or "you are knocked unconscious and I imprison you or tie you up."  That said, an aspect applied to you like "tied up" is certainly appropriate at that point, then the GM can compel you to stay tied up for a bit longer.  Anyhow, if the bad guys can't find a good way to hold you if they can put you into any sort of cage/binding they can get their hands on, then they shouldn't be able to keep you.

Not sure what a great skill for binding someone with ropes would be.  Nothing really fits that well.  Perhaps just a base difficulty by material with modifiers from aspects.  Oddly, there's no great escape artist skill...athletics seems closest, but it isn't a great match.  Might is obvious for breaking things.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
Not sure what a great skill for binding someone with ropes would be.  Nothing really fits that well.  Perhaps just a base difficulty by material with modifiers from aspects.  Oddly, there's no great escape artist skill...athletics seems closest, but it isn't a great match.  Might is obvious for breaking things.

I'm thinking Athletics modified by Stealth, maybe... the person bound up could also spend several exchanges making Maneuvers using Stealth, Athletics, and whatever else they can justify before making the final Might roll to "break out."

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 06:48:47 AM »
Deceit and Burglary cover locks of various kinds, and Deceit for sneaking in something like a knife to cut the rope. Deceit is the misdirection type stuff, sleight of hand, etc.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:56:11 AM »
Deceit and Burglary cover locks of various kinds, and Deceit for sneaking in something like a knife to cut the rope. Deceit is the misdirection type stuff, sleight of hand, etc.

Also good thoughts. The more examples I hear, the more it sounds like breaking out of bindings is a Maneuver exercise, and the only real variable is the DC at which the GM sets that particular binding.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 07:07:06 AM »
Yeah, just seems a shame there isn't a Houdini skill.  I suppose one could create "acrobatics" (though there's always that annoying overlap with athletics).  I suppose one should just use Athletics and just suck up the inaccuracies of that.  Hmm, or is Endurance a better skill for escape artistry?  I see it being useful for handling slipping out of cuffs by dislocating a joint.

Hmm, or one could look at it from a thematic viewpoint, and that such slippage involves a lot of stealth or deceit, so perhaps those, like Devon said, modified by endurance or athletics as appropriate for slipping bonds.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 08:20:16 AM »
You don't really need one way to get out of ropes. A character with a high might is going to do it differently than someone with a high athletics. And that's okay.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 08:25:38 AM »
You don't really need one way to get out of ropes. A character with a high might is going to do it differently than someone with a high athletics. And that's okay.

But it would technically be more difficult for someone to break OUT of the restraints, rather then to just wiggle free... But then again, that would probably change from one constraint to another...
my 2 cents

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
But it would technically be more difficult for someone to break OUT of the restraints, rather then to just wiggle free... But then again, that would probably change from one constraint to another...

Oh, totally.  Breaking handcuffs is hard, but even a quick google search indicates it's possible depending on the make of cuff and willingness of the individual to harm themselves and so on.

I'd personally put the difficulty for breaking (Might) out of handcuffs at 7 or 8.  That's potentially reachable by a person with Great or Superb Might and a great roll.  I'd also let them add shifts like thaumaturgy by taking consequences.  Break a thumb to get out as a moderate consequence?  Add +4 to your roll, and so on.  You might have Endurance restrict Might for breaking free as well, to represent the need to withstand pain.

Actually, now that I think about it I might keep the difficulty static regardless of the person's chosen method and let the person trying to break free use whatever combination of maneuvers and consequences and invocations they want to to beat that difficulty.  They might use Burglary to maneuver a "I've done this before" aspect, but get most of the work done with Might, or set up a "High Pain Tolerance" aspect maneuver with Endurance or Discipline before dislocating their thumbs and rolling Burglary or Athletics, and so on.

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:57:41 PM »
Cuffs/Bindings, depending on their make and how they work, could work as a -x to all physical skills, and a sticky aspect as well. Might, athletics, burglary, and maybe deceit (or performance with a stunt) could be used, and stealth or deceit to make sure no one notices you getting out.

Offline AlexFallad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:27 AM »
Oh, totally.  Breaking handcuffs is hard, but even a quick google search indicates it's possible depending on the make of cuff and willingness of the individual to harm themselves and so on.

I'd personally put the difficulty for breaking (Might) out of handcuffs at 7 or 8.  That's potentially reachable by a person with Great or Superb Might and a great roll. 

Though he was in The Matrix at the time (bending and breaking rules, etc. but also pretty well beat down), I always loved the scene when Morph snaps the cuffs...