Poll

Does your group play any ambient music during your game sessions?

No; it's distracting.
8 (22.9%)
Yeah, we throw something on but we more or less ignore it.
7 (20%)
Yes, but we turn it off when concentration is a must.
1 (2.9%)
Yes, and we even have themed playlists like "Creepy," "Epic," or "Battle."
11 (31.4%)
Yes, and not only is it used, the GM times his interaction to go along with the music.
3 (8.6%)
Yes, and I even work it into the plot, with a musical spellcaster or other somesuch.
2 (5.7%)
Other. (Will comment)
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: At The Table: Music While Gaming  (Read 1984 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
At The Table: Music While Gaming
« on: February 01, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »
Just wondering; in the games I've been in, I prefer to have music to help my creative juices flow in the right direction, while another GM that I've played with finds music distracting and bans it from the table. 

And for a last question that's impossible to create a poll for: recommendations for music that fits the feel of the Dresdenverse.  :)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Shadow lion

• Lurker
  • Damn I love my duster.
    • View Profile
Re: At The Table: Music While Gaming
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
Slipknot koRn Ozzy are great for battles and world ending music
"When all else fails, just set you're Enemy on fire and roast some marshmallows"

"Life is like a taco, its good at first but you'll regret it latter"

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:11:19 AM »
With upwards of nine people in the group I play with regularly we usually can't do music. It's hard enough to hear everybody as it is. However when I'm running deadlands (or any horror game) it's a must and I even set up different playlists for slightly different atmospheres.

If you're going for creepy (my expertise) then the koudelka/shadow hearts game series has surprisingly great music for that (I have all of the soundtracks). I often look at anime/TV/movie/Video Game soundtracks simply because their whole point is to subtly create a specific mood. Just don't pick up soundtracks that are too old, cause they can be terrible in any number of ways (particularly old video game soundtracks).

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 01:19:36 AM »
We don't use music in my group really.  There is one person that we play dnd 3.x with who will turn on music but it ends up being distracting (techno bollywood song set on repeat at full blast).  I feel like it is distracting in that it is another thing for someone to have to fidget with in play (changing the playlists to fit the situation).

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 01:48:40 AM »
I like to work up playlists for my games - nothing that I'd have to switch during play, but in my Highway to Hell campaign I'll pick out a song to blast as I shout "CREDITS!" at the players, and then put the rest on as background.  It's all 70s-80s metal, with some exceptions made for particularly thematic modern songs (Lamb of God's "Walk With Me In Hell" is going to feature in a session dealing with Denarians for sure).

Fitting music to campaigns is, to me, a pretty touchy art.  You could just play whatever crap you like at the moment (and sure, I obviously skew my choices towards my own crap), but I find it's better if you can go 1) full-on ambient so nobody recognizes the music but it creates a mood or 2) songs people know but that fit the theme created by the interplay between your setting, the characters, and the adventure they're on.

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:19:08 AM »
I've tried putting some Tom Waits on at a low volume when I want to do something creepy. It works with several of my friends.
My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.

Offline Cavallo

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 08:34:56 AM »
I picked "Other". Just can't be bothered really. As much I would love to I'm to lazy to prepare proper playlist. But I'm looking forward to learn some tips and tricks from you guys in that matter.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:46:46 AM »
Every PC gets his own theme.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
Hmmmm.....

You know, now that I think about it, it would be awfully cool to hide a little speaker and my MP3 player in my bag.

That way in the next epic battle, after my character stacks about 5 or 6 (or maybe 9) taggable aspects, I can play

Ride of the Valkyries  (I think Wagner was a wizard)

while I smash the shit out of something with a disgustingly powerful evocation.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55:44 AM »
I have been using custom soundtracks for close to 20 years, including sound effects. It has come to the point were I can hardly think running a session without it. Every campaign gets its own "intro song" and "end song" (played at the beginning - and end of the session, respectively).

The tracks are taken from various films, edited for personal use only and looped so that they can be played for at least five minutes without audible gaps. The tracks are then named after the mood that I feel when listening to it (like "Breaking in", "Early morning" etc) which makes it easy to find a suitable track during play.

Finding the right music for the DFRPG is what I am working with right now (after 20+ years of running Call of Cthulhu).

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Oddly this is something I've been thinking about adding to my current game. I've done some playing around with music during games, usually just as background music. I had a player come up with a mix cd for a Warhammer Fantasy game we played; were good classical pieces that fit the atmosphere. he also did up a cd of 4-5 songs of flute music for a Legend of the Five Rings game. Played low in the background it added a nice background.
Wordless music works best so there are no subtle influences.

Since my current game is set in Miami I am going to put together a list of music form various soundtracks. In particular; Pirates of the Caribbean (Which I listen to daily, its a FUN album!), Conan the Barbarian, Gladiator (the Song for the big battle in particular is great for epic fights) and probably some bits from Predator. I'll have to look through my collection for some other bits to make a decent playlist...someday I really need to learn how to use itunes.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me