Author Topic: Navel-gazing manuvers and stacking taggable aspects  (Read 3405 times)

Offline yogshog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Navel-gazing manuvers and stacking taggable aspects
« on: January 29, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
Howdy!

In http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23179.0.html , devonapple mentioned stacking taggable aspects using "navel gazing maneuvers". I am completely unsure of what that was intended to mean. Is it an obvious thing or something that has been discussed before? I tried searching the forums but no luck.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Navel-gazing manuvers and stacking taggable aspects
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 03:09:01 AM »
A navel gazing maneuver is essentially a maneuver intended to place an aspect on yourself. Navel gazing maneuvers are typically not opposed by other characters, but it can happen if the other character has a decent justification. The base difficulty for such a maneuver, if I recall correctly, is Good (+3).

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 03:09:53 AM »
Navel Gazing Maneuvers are described in the Taking Action chapter of the YS book. They are maneuvers that involve internal stuff like Deep in Concentration, Listening or Hard Core Method Acting.

Basically anything where, you're rolling dice and applying Aspects, but visually your character is gazing at their own navel.

www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline yogshog

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 03:11:44 AM »
thanks!

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 03:12:04 AM »
A navel gazing maneuver is essentially a maneuver intended to place an aspect on yourself. Navel gazing maneuvers are typically not opposed by other characters, but it can happen if the other character has a decent justification. The base difficulty for such a maneuver, if I recall correctly, is Good (+3).

That's the base maneuver difficulty for evocations....navel-gazing maneuvers themselves don't seem to have a base difficulty (beyond I guess 0)...it really seems to advise against being overly bothered by difficulty on them.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:14:52 AM »
It may be intended to mean meditation manuevers.  There are a lot of people that use the phrase "Navel-gazing" to refer to meditation.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 03:26:14 AM »
Navel-gazing maneuvers is a term coined on YS207 to mean maneuvers placed by yourself, on yourself. They don't even have to be internal. Examples of external navel-gazing maneuvers could be finding cover, or a good place to shoot from.

As for maneuver difficulty it varies based on the circumstances and could be anywhere as low as average or any higher.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 03:34:28 AM by sinker »

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 06:53:30 AM »
Now a question on this... is there a limit to how many aspects you can Tag at a time? I know the only real limit to Invoking, is the number of aspects and fate points available to you, but if say, you wizard friend put an aspect on someone, another friend has put a Pinned Down aspect on him from cover fire, and you spend a turn to get an In Your Sights aspect, could you turn around the next turn, and tag all three of those aspects?
my 2 cents

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 06:58:45 AM »
Now a question on this... is there a limit to how many aspects you can Tag at a time? I know the only real limit to Invoking, is the number of aspects and fate points available to you, but if say, you wizard friend put an aspect on someone, another friend has put a Pinned Down aspect on him from cover fire, and you spend a turn to get an In Your Sights aspect, could you turn around the next turn, and tag all three of those aspects?

Yes indeed! This is the ultimate goal of most FATE conflicts: line up a bunch of Aspects and then tag them all at once to "take out" the opponent. That keeps combat from being a slog of stress-box attrition. Better to line those Aspects up and then wait until you have enough to make a decisive dent in the opposition.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 07:01:47 AM »

Yup.

This is the only real way to do damage to tough opponents in fact.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:13:51 AM »
Hmm... well, that is very good to know, hehe... I want to say i heard somewhere on the forums a little while ago there was a limit, then I couldn't find it in the book...

So in other words, another thing you could do, as a thaumaturge at least...

You basically cast a spell, that will cause your target, under a specific set of conditions that you plan to set off at another point in time, to be suddenly struck by a sudden jolt of electricity... But rather than it be something to actually hurt them (while you could add a little bit to the spell i guess if you wanted to) it instead is the set up that its been cast for.  The shock spell basically puts the tag-able aspects of Blinded, Dazed, Muscle Spasms, maybe a few more I can't think of.  Then in your moment of truth, pull out a gun, tag your aspects, and pull your trigger?

And as a guess let me see... Not caring if the tags are made sticky, would that mean 3 or 4 complexity per aspect? And obviously, need to probably get past his Endurance and maybe a little more to be safe, so the spell will effect him... So.. would that be around a complexity 17 spell give or take in general, 6 to get past his Endurance fairly safely, and 3 comp each for the aspects?  Would I need anything else, or does that sound about right?  And a spell like this would probably fall under an Entropy Curse (Weapons-Grade) or along those lines at least, correct?
my 2 cents

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:45:02 AM »
Hmm... well, that is very good to know, hehe... I want to say i heard somewhere on the forums a little while ago there was a limit, then I couldn't find it in the book...

So in other words, another thing you could do, as a thaumaturge at least...

You basically cast a spell, that will cause your target, under a specific set of conditions that you plan to set off at another point in time, to be suddenly struck by a sudden jolt of electricity... But rather than it be something to actually hurt them (while you could add a little bit to the spell i guess if you wanted to) it instead is the set up that its been cast for.  The shock spell basically puts the tag-able aspects of Blinded, Dazed, Muscle Spasms, maybe a few more I can't think of.  Then in your moment of truth, pull out a gun, tag your aspects, and pull your trigger?

And as a guess let me see... Not caring if the tags are made sticky, would that mean 3 or 4 complexity per aspect? And obviously, need to probably get past his Endurance and maybe a little more to be safe, so the spell will effect him... So.. would that be around a complexity 17 spell give or take in general, 6 to get past his Endurance fairly safely, and 3 comp each for the aspects?  Would I need anything else, or does that sound about right?  And a spell like this would probably fall under an Entropy Curse (Weapons-Grade) or along those lines at least, correct?

You could also use thaumatergy to give yourself a bunch of aspects before you go to fight the big bad.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 08:02:34 AM »

As far as I can tell you would have to beat his endurance for each individual aspect. This is mostly based on my understanding of the maneuver action when it's opposed and then how magic interacts with that, but then again that's based mostly on evocation as well, so there's no hard and fast answer.

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:07:04 AM »
As far as I can tell you would have to beat his endurance for each individual aspect. This is mostly based on my understanding of the maneuver action when it's opposed and then how magic interacts with that, but then again that's based mostly on evocation as well, so there's no hard and fast answer.

I'm pretty sure since it would be the same spell, you only need to defeat his Endurance once, then the rest of the spell can just be placed normally.  You COULD just make it a little easier on yourself though, and rather than cast a huge complexity spell, just divide it into a few smaller spells. But each of those would definitely require you to beat their endurance every time.  You'd also probably need to up the duration a bit on the first few, cause it'll probably take a little while to get all those tags on...
my 2 cents

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »

I think you are mistaken on this.  I'm pretty sure that the RAW specifically states that the chart is a good reference but until sunrise is a good default for these types of thaumaturgical evocations.