Author Topic: Gambling in DFRPG?  (Read 1402 times)

Offline ScottMcG

• Participant
    • View Profile
Gambling in DFRPG?
« on: January 26, 2011, 05:05:22 PM »
I noticed that SotC has a skill for Gambling, but DFRPG does not.  Has anyone found an appropriate stand-in for this skill?

-S

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Re: Gambling in DFRPG?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 05:09:32 PM »
Depends on the type of gambling; poker is deceit modified by either empathy or rapport.  Blackjack is discipline modified by scholarship.  Roulette is a straight die roll, with a +4 needed for some of the bigger payoffs (unless you have a subtle spirit/telekenesis spell to do some nudging...).  Etc and so forth.
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:31:56 PM »
Gambling can be whatever type of mini-game or challenge you and the GM want to make it. At its simplest, you can reflect someone who gambles consistently well with a Resources stunt. I've seen a Stunt on the boards called Windfall (Resources): Spend a fate point for +4 to Resources for one check. You could call it "The Gambler" or "Lucky at Cards" and leave the actual gambling as an off-screen bit of character background. If you had an Aspect about gambling, you could similarly just spend a Fate Point for +2 to a Resources check (though the GM may later Compel you with a gambling-related complication, but you'd get a Fate Point for it).

For an actual mini-game, the suggestions which bibliophile20 proposed sound like a great start.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 06:27:03 PM »
There's a Resources stunt called Gambler in the master list. It gives you +2 to a Resources roll if you win a coin flip.

There's also a power on the custom power thread that lets you gamble with your fate points.

These don't actually answer your question, but they seem appropriate.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:15:53 PM »
It'd be a social combat, in my opinion. Rapport, Deceit, or Discipline to defend (your 'poker face', or an act as far as Deceit goes). Empathy to read the others. Maybe the GM should actually deal out a deck of cards for each 'player' and the real challenge is making yourself unreadable, while trying to figure out what the others have.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline ScottMcG

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:16:16 AM »
Thanks for the input, all.

The resources angles don't really hit what I'm looking for,  as the gambling I'm looking at  is more story-oriented and less about access to monetary resources.  I think having a stunt that would allow the player to use one of the skills of their choice as "gambling skill" for any gambling might do the trick.

Thanks again!