Author Topic: Starting In Media Res  (Read 4381 times)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
Starting In Media Res
« on: January 25, 2011, 03:27:43 PM »
Has anyone started a Dresden scenario in media res? (even a Batman Cold Open counts).  I'm looking for advice on do's and don'ts. 
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Starting In Media Res
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 04:35:51 PM »
"Hey guys, I'm going to start you right in the middle of trouble. So consider this a sort of blanket Compel that starts you in the scenario 1 FP higher than normal."

Reward complications and manage expectations.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 05:25:56 PM »
"Hey guys, I'm going to start you right in the middle of trouble. So consider this a sort of blanket Compel that starts you in the scenario 1 FP higher than normal."

Reward complications and manage expectations.

Yeah... that's the way to go.

I'd be extra cautious though. You should have a reasonable explanation ready why the PC are currently in the "OH SHIT" situation. Some players tend to get a little skittish when the GM puts their PC in a situation they think he/she shouldn't/wouldn't end up in. Be fair, explain, give FP and try to get the awesomeness of the imagined scene across to them.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
The situation (spoilered in case any of my PCs stop by) Batman Cold Open;
(click to show/hide)
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:26 PM »
The situation (spoilered in case any of my PCs stop by) Batman Cold Open;
(click to show/hide)

I'd pretty much start it up as you have just described. You obviously have a pretty cool scene in mind witch doesn't seem to need much more flesh. My advice: look at the aspects of your characters. Do as the book says and draw some reasonable conjectures between fitting aspects and I guarantee you that you'll be able to come up with a nice reason why your PC are in a spectacular car chase with the evil warlock speed racer (*hums cartoon theme*).

The entry is totally Dresden Files so your players will probably dig it if they are fans. Explain as little as you have to about the reasons behind it and see how your players react. Or even better: have a short talk with them about the reasons behind the chase. The DFRPG is all about collective storytelling anyways.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:15:03 AM »
I am often tempted to try something, but I fear that it ends with some of my players arguing "Why am i here? What am I doing here?"

And having an argument that isn't that necessary eats to much of game time which is more worth to me.

But maybe I'll try it with pre-session compels and giving out more FP, as one suggested above.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »
I haven't done it in DFRPG yet, but I've started my group off in the middle of a chase or combat before in previous campaigns and it worked well.  It depends on the group I guess, but I'd think a lot of players wouldn't mind kicking off a game session with some balls out action, and that's before you bribe them with Fate Points.  :)

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
I think, setup-wise, I'm going to try the following setup (not recommended for all groups, but my players are all college freshmen, and they trust my judgment as 'senior geek' for some odd reason ::)):

At the beginning of the session, I'm going to had out a bunch of stacks of index cards and fate point chips; the cards will say "don't flip until the GM says so."  On the reverse of the cards is essentially a short line-by-line--one line per card--intro script for the situation ("Must go faster, must go faster!!" "Gregor, there's a dead fire elemental on your trunk again" "Don't worry, it'll go away at the next glacier!" etc) that'll cover enough exposition that they'll be able to follow past those few interchanges.  

I'm only taking that approach and thinking it'll work because my players are all newbies, will little to none roleplay experience (the most experienced only has a few years of rollplay experience) and a universal belief in their lack of polished rp skills, especially dialogue, most especially witty dialogue, which is something I've been trying to fix (yes, the NPCs have sadly gotten all of the good one liners).  So this approach will serve as both exposition and banter training.  

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
I am often tempted to try something, but I fear that it ends with some of my players arguing "Why am i here? What am I doing here?"
And having an argument that isn't that necessary eats to much of game time which is more worth to me.

I have seen those arguments, too, but they were because the players forgot what happened last session, or why the bad guy is calling them.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 05:13:44 PM »
I've done something similar in other systems but its kind of tough to pull off. might be easier in DFRPG though and yes it very much fits in with the Dresden way of things. I mean heck, one of the books opens with almost the exact same scenario; Harry being chased though a high school by poo-flinging flying purple monkeys! Granted it wasn't entirely relevant to the main plot, but you kind of get the point.
I like the idea for you scenario, let us know how it turns out.  

This also works well with "You wake up in a sinking ship with NO idea how you got there..." scenario. The rest of the session having to do with figuring out how you got there and how to get out of it...
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 05:19:49 PM »

"You're here because I bribed you with fate points to be here. You're chasing the guy I bribed you to chase. Let's play."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 06:29:58 PM »
Sounds like fun. What locations are you planning to use?

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 09:34:46 PM »
Thanks for the support, guys.  Knowing that I'm only partially insane helps alot.  ;D

Sounds like fun. What locations are you planning to use?

I'm still figuring that out.  But I do plan on having the entire route and attendant complications plotted out beforehand so I can spend my time and effort during the game on adjudicating what will undoubtedly be a chaotic batch of lunacy.  

As for locations I want to subject them to, more or less in order: (Scene Aspect: A Stern Chase Is A Long Chase)
An Icelandic glacier (complete with jumping off an ice cliff into the Nevernever portal before it closes)
A place in the fields of Winter.
St. Petersburg, Russia
A Goblin Market
A Bazaar (either the Khan Market or Chandri Chowk) in Dehli, India
A Nevernever jungle in Summer, inhabited by a plant that's a cross between kudzu, poison ivy and a venus fly trap.
The Phoenix Desert Botanical Garden
The Deserts Of The Crystal Pyramids
Either the Australian Outback near Uluru (Ayers Rock) or the Egyptian Sahara near Giza.
Then the capture and the "Um.... how are we going to get home?"
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:41:04 PM by bibliophile20 »

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 10:21:03 PM »
Not bad. So, how are you going to handle this mechanically?

I admit I'm slightly disappointed to see neither The Library or The Iron Spires on the list, but I suppose there are limits to what you can drive a car through.

PS: Why not put some of these locations on the wiki?
PPS: Great generator, although it's a little too hard on pedestrians for my taste. How do you intend to convert it from Storyteller to Fate?

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 10:35:58 PM »
Mechanically, it's going to be a race extended conflict; each time the PCs get too close to the warlock, he's going to open another portal.  Complicating matters are going to be obstacles taken from the above generator with a certain difficulty all its own; if the PCs don't manage to make it, then they will suffer the appropriate consequences (in answer to the PPS, I'm using the generator for ideas and inspiration, which I will then consider from scratch in the Fate system).  I'm not going to make the obstacles too numerous (no more than one hard one or two lesser ones per location), but at the same time, they'll certainly add a bit of spice to the proceedings. 

As for the the Library, I thought about it, but I've stated that the only Ways in to the Library are through deep concentrations of learning--and the image of driving a sports car into the elevator at the university is absurd.  As for the Spires, it's a thought, but nobody in the party drives 4 wheel drive, which means that's just murder. 

And I will put some of these locations up on the wiki... after that session.  My players have gotten into the habit of monitoring the "Recent Edits" page on the wikis I run. 

DFRPG Resources Wiki