Author Topic: Mjöllnir  (Read 4294 times)

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Mjöllnir
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 03:47:12 AM »
I approve of Mal's take on the Hammer.  Though, I lean towards requiring Inhuman Strength or a minimum Lift to use it (as a must).  It is constantly stated using it requires immense strength.  One could also give it a Seeming ability that lets it change shape into any size of hammer (including a necklace with a hammer on it), though that adds one to the refresh cost, of course (well, more precisely it makes the refund a -1 instead of -2) as someone already said.

I think technically the iron gauntlets were required to properly wield Mjöllnir, though that might depend on what myth one is paying attention to.  There's a fair amount of wiggle room in the myths and you can certainly decide some parts are true and others aren't.

Though, to be honest, I think of all the Aesir, Thor losing his way makes the least sense.  He seems even less likely to lose his way than Odin; heck, he's still often referenced in places with Nordic culture and even elsewhere (Marvel comics are essentially modern myths featuring him).  In fact, he was and is a more popular figure than Odin.  Of course, one can handle this sort of thing anyway one wants.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 07:07:29 AM »
Though, to be honest, I think of all the Aesir, Thor losing his way makes the least sense.  He seems even less likely to lose his way than Odin; heck, he's still often referenced in places with Nordic culture and even elsewhere (Marvel comics are essentially modern myths featuring him).  In fact, he was and is a more popular figure than Odin.  Of course, one can handle this sort of thing anyway one wants.
   Totally agree. Thor was the patron god/protector of the Common man. As such he had far more followers than Odin (the patron of the nobility). Also, Thor was stalwart and bullheaded, so he'd be unlikely to stray from his path. I think this concept can be illustrated best by the fact that prettymuch everyone in the world knows who Thor is (if only vaguely), as where some people have never heard of Odin.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 07:08:50 PM »
There's also Thorr-Sverd, the Sword of Thor.  Thor abandoned it when he was given Mjolnir.  But it was the weapon of a God, and so quite suitable as an Item of Power...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »
I personally think if your going to require inhuman strength to wield the hammer you at least have an excuse for making it weapons 4 or 5 as it would be massive and transfer a lot of force even without the strength bonus.  Considering really to wield something like that you probably should at least have supernatural Strength as I would rate Thor at Mythical Strength (he used the Hammer to nearly slay a serpant as long as the circumference of the planet) the damage would be massive at least for the massvie refresh.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »
I personally think if your going to require inhuman strength to wield the hammer you at least have an excuse for making it weapons 4 or 5 as it would be massive and transfer a lot of force even without the strength bonus.  Considering really to wield something like that you probably should at least have supernatural Strength as I would rate Thor at Mythical Strength (he used the Hammer to nearly slay a serpant as long as the circumference of the planet) the damage would be massive at least for the massvie refresh.

Well, inhuman strength as a requirement comes with the advantage of two-handed damage in a one-handed weapon, so I think it balances out.  Sure, any random bloke can't pick up and use Thor's Hammer, but I don't see how that's really a problem.  An alternative would be to have a Lift requirement.  You could make it so someone with Mighty Thews and Might 4 or 5 could use it then (or someone with Supernatural Strength and Might 3+)...or even someone magically augmenting their strength could use it for a time.