Author Topic: Why would the Autumn/Spring courts have Queens?  (Read 1574 times)

Offline Grokken

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Why would the Autumn/Spring courts have Queens?
« on: January 19, 2011, 03:27:56 AM »
Summer and Winter have Queens yes.. but that does not need to imply that ONLY Queens can rule.  There have to be Kings somewhere (and not just the Erl-King either).  I remember from a lot of the enumberable books on Fey and Faerie that there were Kings.  Oberon was often away, and the Queen had a lot of power  (I see them as Oberon/Spring and Titania/Summer).  I'm looking at this as a power play by the Queens to usurp a good bit of power and weaken a potential rival at the same time. 

I plan to use Oberon as the King of Spring and I think that King is better for the aspect.  It is the planting season, the Farmer tills the land.  Summer is more the nurturing and caring of the crop.  I'm thinking of using Mabon as the Autumn King as Mabon was listed in many tales as a mighty Hunter, a harvester if you will.  Mab would be more life in suspension, awaiting the coming of Spring.

My current thought is that Oberon had gone missing some time ago and Titania took over as much of his power as she could, Mab unwilling to allow her rival to create such a significant change in the balance of power had to do likewise to Mabon.  I see Mabon being either a prisoner in the Winter areas of the Nevernever or possibly in hiding.  Oberon is simply wandering about either in our realm far from caring about the intrigues of court.  The courts of Spring and Autumn decided not to go head to head without their Kings and keep quiet and out of the line of fire until one or both of the Kings return.

This seem like a reasonable idea?

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Why would the Autumn/Spring courts have Queens?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 04:11:16 AM »
Given the waxing and waning nature of the courts, maybe Spring and Autumn are in wane during this era and in a few thousand years they'll be waxing again while Summer and Winter will be waning.

Offline Clotho19

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 04:28:01 AM »
It seems reasonable, albeit it clashes with WOJ. In one interview Jim states that the Erlking is the king of Summer and Santa Clause the king of winter.

Dragon-Con @6:30
Where are the Farie kings?  Do they exist?
Yes they do.  The Erlking as sort of the Hunter king, and Santa Clause, the Winter king who is not the commercial Santa Clause.  The kings are sort of the opposite of the queens in their given season.  They are independent of their Queen’s courts.  The Erlking is a summer king and he is not a particularly friendly guy, whereas Santa Clause, one of the winter kings, is kinder, the spirit of generosity in a time of bleakness.  Yah I’ve gota have Harry ask Mab about him so she can roll her eyes.

However it is your game, and you are free to change whatever you want really to make it work for you :-)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 04:43:00 AM by Clotho19 »

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:32 AM »
The Maiden, the Matron, and the Crone as different aspects of the same force are a recurring theme in many european pre-christian religions.

Offline Grokken

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:06:12 AM »
It seems reasonable, albeit it clashes with WOJ. In one interview Jim states that the Erlking is the king of Summer and Santa Clause the king of winter.

However it is your game, and you are free to change whatever you want really to make it work for you :-)

Seems a little to ... pat perhaps?  In most of what I've read the Kings were more "aloof" but were there.  They were certainly willing from time to time to interfere and meddle in mortal affairs whenever the chance arose, but were just less likely to dive in head first. 

From the way the characters are trending, its going to be a lot of walking the edge of bringing the wrath of someone down on everyone's head.  Outlaws from the court, outlaws from the council, upstarts and renegades... making a political scene twisted and Byzantine just seems only fair.  The players know there will be very little Council presence in the area, and the closest warden will be 3 hours away.  The big danger is annoying that irascible wizard in Missouri and having him drop in for ... a little talk.