Author Topic: How would you do this concept:  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
  • Wile E. Coyote. Suuuuper Genius
    • View Profile
    • Luke Green's Storefront
How would you do this concept:
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
Endcaller Mara: http://thrythlind.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d26pxhd
http://thrythlind.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d26njrx
http://thrythlind.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d143m97

Power-wise, she's a city of heroes Dark/Elec/Elec defender, so seems pretty easy to be a Wizard with familiarity with Darkness and Lightning...though she's also a devout believer in God (though somewhat irreverent about it) as well...

However, there's her backstory:

Mara is the survivor of a collapsed universe...somehow, she figured out what was coming and led some survivors through a the places between universes until they found another place to live...Mara herself got found and recruited by a group claiming to be angels since she'd seen the warning signs.   So while she looks not human, she's essentially the base mortal race of a world that no longer exists.

Her job: Endcaller...as someone that's seen an apocalypse coming, she's sort of touched by that, she is drawn to things that might literally bring about the end of the world...her job is to stop that before it happens

she's a somewhat low ranked Endcaller and considered to be a loose cannon, currently assigned to a world that has plenty of supernatural defenses of its own so they don't need someone strong to protect it (in CoH, it's Paragon and other supers...in DFRPG...well...obvious).  Her immediate supervisor, actually, is Saint George (of Saint George and the Dragon fame)...George de Lydda
Thrythlind Stories and Games: http://Http://thryth.webs.com
Original Fiction: Bystander, Greenwater, Zodiacs, Choice and Consequences
Fan Fiction: Chi and Chakra, Divine Blood, others
Games: The Unnamed System, Lycan Life
Fan Art
Blog on Writing Technique and occasional rants

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How would you do this concept:
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:53:41 PM »
and second question, how would most of the Dresden Universe react to meeting someone who's:

a) a non-native mortal
b) someone that's drawn naturally to world-ending situations
Fan Art

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 03:25:27 AM »
I don't know how familiar you are with the Dresdenverse, but there are basically three realms of existence--the mortal world and the realm of spirit (the Nevernever) are the ones of those that comprise what we would call reality, whereas the third is debatable as to whether it qualifies for the being "of existence"--the Outside, which is kind of like if you distilled the Cthulhu mythos and placed it beyond a pair of gates on the edge of the Universe.

Unfortunately, by canon, there are no other universes. As such, without a change to either your game's status quo or the character concept, I can't figure out how your character would be possible. Sorry I can't help more.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 03:38:23 AM »
I don't know how familiar you are with the Dresdenverse, but there are basically three realms of existence--the mortal world and the realm of spirit (the Nevernever) are the ones of those that comprise what we would call reality, whereas the third is debatable as to whether it qualifies for the being "of existence"--the Outside, which is kind of like if you distilled the Cthulhu mythos and placed it beyond a pair of gates on the edge of the Universe.

Unfortunately, by canon, there are no other universes. As such, without a change to either your game's status quo or the character concept, I can't figure out how your character would be possible. Sorry I can't help more.

hmmm....I was under the impression that there was more inside the Nevernever, somebody was telling me about a character who had the power to create worlds or something
Fan Art

Offline GruffAndTumble

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 05:57:04 AM »
Well, the Nevernever is enormous, and contains everything from Mount Olympus and Asgard to the courts of the Celestial Bureaucracy and the ruling seats of Faerie. But it doesn't contain things without mystical significance. I suspect the "create worlds" power that was referenced to you was the Demesne power, where a magical being shapes a pocket realm out of its mind and thoughts. There is absolutely no canonical reference to creating other planets, New Krypton style, much less entire universes.

Again, your game can have whatever you want in it. This is just the World According to the Books.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 06:10:33 AM »
ah aha...well, at any case, the current Dresden game I have, I'm playing a Focused Practioner, ectomancer, which I described as "imagine the lady from Ghost Whisperer being able bitch slap the ghosts she was dealing with"
Fan Art

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
There is absolutely no canonical reference to creating other planets, New Krypton style, much less entire universes.

I agree with that, but...

Well, the Nevernever is enormous, and contains everything from Mount Olympus and Asgard to the courts of the Celestial Bureaucracy and the ruling seats of Faerie. But it doesn't contain things without mystical significance.

I'm not sure I agree with that.  I seem to remember someone commenting that you can find anything in faerie if you're willing to go far enough looking.

Either way, I'd actually be tempted to make this person a "pocket Outsider".  They went tween-dimensions anyway, and then came to ours...  I've always rather pictured "the Outside" as a hostile multiverse, not a single Hell, anyway.  It'd make her hunted and unpopular to anyone who realized, but they wouldn't necessarily have to realize.  >.>

Offline DesertCoyote

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 03:11:59 PM »
Something you might consider that doesn't violate canon:

Nowhere in Dresden does it say there are no other habitable planets within the "mortal world."  It's entirely possible that there are other planets out there that have intelligent life, but the humans (wizard and non-wizard) are completely oblivious to them.

That being the case, stuff in the Nevernever is linked by concept, not geography.  It's possible that another planet has an aspect that bleeds into all concepts on that planet, but that aspect is not present on Earth and there is no direct link between the two worlds.

Generally speaking, things from the Nevernever don't just dish out information and in 6,000 years of human civilization, nobody from Earth has ever struck the right bargain to gain knowledge of this other planet.

Maybe if you revised a little so that instead of a dying universe, your character came from a dying planet, that might fit within canon.

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 05:25:45 PM »
makes sense...and considering she's fits pretty close in to the Earth laws of physics, that would work excellently...

Fan Art

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
Endcaller Mara: http://thrythlind.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d26pxhd
http://thrythlind.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d26njrx
http://thrythlind.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d143m97

Mara Janissary

Power Level: Chest-Deep (or higher)
High Concept: Rookie Endcaller
Trouble: Illusion of the Demonic (she looks something like some layman's idea of a demon)
Musts: Worldwalker (-2), Supernatural Sense: Destruction (-2)

Background Aspect: I Looked Back

Mara, among others recognized the end coming and helped usher out a small number of people into the Nevernever in order to escape the coming apocalypse and the destruction of her homeworld.  Unfortunately, as they were leaving, she looked back through the rift in time to see her former home being torn apart.  The universe has never let her forget it.

Rising Conflict Aspect: Rosaries Aren't Meant to be Fashion Accessories

Due to the fact she looked back and witnessed the destruction of so much life in one moment, Mara was cursed with the ability to see Destruction.  When she and other survivors were found in the Nevernever by angels rescuing them from monsters, she was found and tapped to be an Endcaller, someone who was supposed to do what they could to prevent such destruction from occurring.  Unfortunately, while she proved incredibly dedicated and faithful to the spirit of the mission, she's never quite gotten down the sort of behavior her superiors would want her to display.

First Story Aspect: Wrath of God, Baby!

When Mara first arrives on Earth, she finds herself facing both misunderstandings of what she is and dangerous attention from things that know at least some of what she is.  Can she survive and find a place to stay in her newly assigned protectorate without drawing too much attention?

Powers:
Evocation: Spirit, Lightning and Darkness (-3) (she's not as versatile as a full wizard, but has two elements to draw instead of one like Focused Practioners)

Note: Mara specializes in flashy but generally non-lethal attacks, curses and protections.  Particularly, she uses lightning to physically exhaust an opponent until they are too fatigued to do anything.

World-Walker (-2)
Supernatural Sense: Destruction (-2)

Due to her looking back as her world was destroyed, Mara is cursed to see the potential future destruction of objects and people.  In most cases, where the destruction is distant and there are far too many possibilities, this is only a barely perceptibly haze.  It becomes more and more visible as options are cut down and the time comes close.  For example, she may be watching a door and just seeing a door, until a troll down the hallway decides that it's going to cave that door in within the next thirty seconds...suddenly, Mara sees it as already shattered, however she has no idea what will shatter it.  This might let her in on some catches for supernatural threats, but generally that destruction would have to be very close at hand in order for her to see it...of course, her learning a catch might accelerate how quickly that destruction comes.

The bigger and more likely the destruction, the more likely she is to see it clearly.

Total Refresh: 8
Refresh Cost: -7
Remaining Refresh: 1

Skills

Superb - Conviction
Great - Presence, Stealth
Good - Lore, Intimidation
Fair - Discipline, Investigation, Alertness
Average - Endurance, Rapport, Performance, Empathy, Scholarship

Rotes:

Electric Fence
Type: Lightning Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 5 shifts (maneuver 3 + 2 duration)
Control: Discipline + Appropriate Items
Effect: Rings of black-yellow lightning encircle the target making it impossible for him to easily step one way or another.  Apply the temporary aspect TRAPPED BY LIGHTNING for this exchange +2.

Short Circuit
Type: Lightning Evocation, Manuever
Power: 5 shifts (maneuver 3 + 1 duration + 1 area)
Effect: Every enemy within the area immediately around Mara is struck by arcs of yellow-black lightning and have the temporary aspect ACHING BODY for this exchange +1.

Shadow Fall
Type: Darkness Evocation, Block
Power: 5 shifts (2 Block + 2 Multiple Allies + 1 Duration)
Effect: Shadows rise up around Mara and her allies making it difficult to effectively strike her or her friends.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:57:11 PM by Thrythlind »
Fan Art

Offline Thrythlind

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
Oh, Wizard's Fortitude (-0) would make sense

Items would be:

Rosary Focus Lightning +1 Control

Enchanted Item:
The Kent Glasses - Always on item, gives her Human Guise to hide her horns, tail and non-usable wings

unknown on the other...

« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 10:36:07 PM by Thrythlind »
Fan Art

Offline newtinmpls

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:10:33 PM »
"Well, the Nevernever is enormous, and contains everything from Mount Olympus and Asgard to the courts of the Celestial Bureaucracy and the ruling seats of Faerie. But it doesn't contain things without mystical significance. I suspect the "create worlds" power that was referenced to you was the Demesne power, where a magical being shapes a pocket realm out of its mind and thoughts. There is absolutely no canonical reference to creating other planets, New Krypton style, much less entire universes."

This is interesting enough, and probably accurate enough, but I think the next line is the telling point:

"Again, your game can have whatever you want in it. This is just the World According to the Books."

I reserve cannon for the actual books (I'm a total picky snob about writers staying with what they have established in their world). I really don't care for/can't easily wrap my brain around the way Butcher does the Nevernever, so I just don't do it that way.

In my game, there are an infinite number of universes (see Azimov's "The Gods Themselves" novel - "any number between 2 and infinity makes no sense") and the Nevernever is the place between them. It's dreams, it's travel, it's not so much physical space as it is conceptual space. In my universe, it might be easier to get to "the Akashic Library" if you start from the local one. And travel through could be thought of as a highly dangerous/metaphysical game of "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" each step has to "make sense", but if you lose track, or get lost, or get scared - well that is where you go.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »
It could completely exist in the Nevernever.  We know that some parts of the Nevernever are truly weird so they could be from distant part of it.

If you think "Nevernever Realm" verse world, then when one Realm collapse the inhabitants fled to Ways of the Nevernever.  Maybe the Realm's destruction was the result of an outsider poking Its way into reality? That's workable.

Think of her and her people as surviving fairies if both the Winter and Summer court fell to Outsiders.

Something that deep in the Nevernever might not have interacted with Earth for millennia.  They could be mortal beings whose ancestors were warped by generations of living in the Nevernever...

Richard