Author Topic: Hex Vs. Items of Power  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
Hex Vs. Items of Power
« on: December 29, 2010, 05:19:21 PM »
So have a question that popped in my head after reading a few of the post.

here it is

If a Item of Power, in this case a Pistol, was to get hex’ed would it work or could they be effect by the field that Dresden givens off that messes with Tech.
Sense Most Item of power cannot be destroyed, does that mean they can’t stop by a hex.
It could be anything, A car( why is there an item of power in a car, because I said so…), Flying machine(thinking da Vinci flying plan), anything..

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 05:28:11 PM by Vryce »
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline Ala Alba

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Hex Vs. Items of Power
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 05:25:30 PM »
I'm sorry, I know it was just a spelling mistake, but I can't get the idea of a flaying machine out of my head. Truly a fearsome item of power.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 05:27:31 PM »
ohhhh, yes my flaying machine is evil.... mmmm will fix that. heheh
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
So are we adding in Necro's into the Dresden Verse?

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 06:11:41 PM »
Dunno, but I've been bouncing around similar ideas, particularly an IoP that's a famous/iconic vehicle (granting Speed and Worldwalker).
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »
Well, an Item of Power is indestructible. I'd say a hex couldn't damage the gun. However, bad ammunition and such could still jam it.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 07:27:19 PM »
Well, an Item of Power is indestructible. I'd say a hex couldn't damage the gun. However, bad ammunition and such could still jam it.
What about lack of maintenance?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 07:36:14 PM »
I think this is all apart of what im asking: should a Item of power always work?
does the Swords ever get dull?
thanks kind of thing

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
I'd say that general maintenance would probably be required or else it might become less effective. It wouldn't destroy it though. Ages in a cavern puddle would probably rust and dull a sword IoP, but a bit of work it would come back up to full power. For the hex, I'd say it would have to be pretty powerful, and even then it would be temporary. Person who controls the hex goes away, so does the hex, and the IoP would be fine.
"The door is ajar"

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 09:31:39 PM »
An idea: if a player already had an Aspect related to sloppiness, laziness, forgetfulness, etc., then you could Compel that Aspect to say that the IoP is unavailable for some plausible neglect-related reason. Otherwise, I think regular maintenance is something which most stories only casually mention, if at all, and I feel is best left assumed unless narrative impact dictates otherwise.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline CGregory

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 04:26:57 AM »
Personally, I don't think a mortal wizard's hex should be enough to affect an item of power since items of power are supernatural in their own right.  However, if you are wanting hexing to affect them, I'd suggest adding the refresh cost of the item plus the discount for the item to the base power cost of the delibrate hexing table.

For example, a complicated modern gun that is an item of power with a refresh cost of 3 and a 2 discount, would have a power cost of 9.
(4 for the gun plus the 3 refresh cost plus 2 discount).  This way the more supernatural the item the greater the shielding against hexing.

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »
If this were in my game I would allow the Hex but at a higher difficulty (I'd consider the number of fate spend on an IoP as a block against Hexing).  My logic for this is that every item of power 'Is what it is" so a gun is a gun and benefits from the associated advantages (specialty ammunition, not drawing as many funny looks as a sword etc) but also carries with it certain drawbacks.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 05:50:29 PM »
Hexing an IoP seems like a decent compel.  I'd treat it as one.  That lets the character buy out of it if they want.  And, if a PC is attempting to hex an IoP, I'd require a fate point which goes to the NPC owner in addition to the roll.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer