Author Topic: Very Dumb Question about "The Catch"  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Very Dumb Question about "The Catch"
« on: December 22, 2010, 08:52:17 AM »
although i am being a DFRPG GM for a while, i am still puzzled over one thing:

what happens if the catch is satisfied? maybe i missed it in the books, but i came to 2 (or 3) different answers. luckily the most enemies my players had to go up against were cannon fodder and therefore without toughness or recovery powers.

i have three theories and would like to be sure which one is correct.
a) when the catch is satisfied, the toughness and recovery is completely negated. (i think i read that somewhere, but can't find it again. i think it was with the sowrd of the cross power.)
b) when the catch is satisfied, toughness and recovery are used as if one category less than it is. (i think i also read that somewhere in YS.)
c) both are true. (the sword completely negates the powers, but other catches only reduce them by one category.)

i am sure you can help me out.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: Very Dumb Question about "The Catch"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 09:11:27 AM »
The Catch, whether it be Cold Iron, Holy Water, or some other thing, completely ignores Toughness, and Recovery does not apply to wounds caused by your Catch. Or, it could be run as a Compell against the High Concept for other things.

Soulfire has the ability to downgrade the Toughness of some things, depending on what it is. You could also make a power to do that yourself.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 03:40:07 AM »
So, if you have 3 physical stress normally, and inhuman toughness, against your catch, you're treated as only having 3, right? so a 4 stress hit would take you out?
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 04:21:44 AM »
Yes.

Offline Mij

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Undertown!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »
That's why powers with a Catch are usually highlighted in some way.  To use your example, extra stress boxes from inhuman toughness are put in parentheses.  It's to remind you that if the Catch is satisfied, they go away.

Hope this helps!
Your Laundry skill is Poor (-1), and the difficulty here is Great (+4) owing to old machines, poor lighting, and panty-stealing neighbors.  Roll the Fudge Dice, please.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 08:25:40 AM »
thank you everyone. after reading all answers here and re-reading some parts of YS i think i found where my confusion came from. i mistook the ability of some sponsored magics to be more effective against some targets (like summer vs. winter) for the catch.

thanks again, everything is clear now.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 07:59:41 AM »
It is what I thought, but wanted other's input, and to make sure there was clarification.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]