Author Topic: Navel-gazing manuvers and stacking taggable aspects  (Read 3398 times)

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Navel-gazing manuvers and stacking taggable aspects
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 01:43:10 PM »
As far as I can tell you would have to beat his endurance for each individual aspect. This is mostly based on my understanding of the maneuver action when it's opposed and then how magic interacts with that, but then again that's based mostly on evocation as well, so there's no hard and fast answer.
If applying aspects to an opponent via maneuver, you'll need to beat the resisting roll for each maneuver.  That may not be endurance - a weakness spells might be opposed by Might, clumsiness by Athletics, etc.

If swinging blind, it's probably easier to apply aspects to the yourself, an ally, or the scene.  But when you know an opponent well enough to target a weakness...   ;D
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 02:17:27 PM »
Hmm... well, that is very good to know, hehe... I want to say i heard somewhere on the forums a little while ago there was a limit, then I couldn't find it in the book...

In DFRPG, you cannot invoke the same Aspect more than once on an action (or is it more than once an exchange?), but you can invoke/tag as many different aspects as you have FP for / free tags.

Some FATE variants, like Diaspora, DO limit you to one character aspect/action, one environmental aspect/action, and so on.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
I think you are mistaken on this.  I'm pretty sure that the RAW specifically states that the chart is a good reference but until sunrise is a good default for these types of thaumaturgical evocations.

Devonapple brought this up on another thread but it proves my point. YS265

In other words, if you want to
take advantage of two tags against a target of
Good Conviction, you’ll need to set up two
maneuvers, for a minimum complexity of 6 (3
for each, as per above).

And above YS264:

With a target, it varies,
because it’s a matter of beating whichever skill
the target would use to “defend” against the spell.
Technically, you can set a complexity of your
choosing, with the understanding that the target
is going to roll something to resist. So if the
target has Good (+3) Conviction, the minimum
complexity for the spell is 3—enough shifts to
successfully land a maneuver against a roll of +0
on the dice. If you want a sure thing, go for a
complexity of at least 8, which is one more than
the target would get with a max roll of +4.

The navel-gazing maneuvers would have a complexity set by the GM and would be that number per maneuver (or per taggable aspect).