Author Topic: The Big Bad and surviving round 1  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Fedifensor

• Participant
    • View Profile
The Big Bad and surviving round 1
« on: December 03, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
Okay, so I'm running the final to our campaign's second Dresden Files adventure.  The heroes have figured out that the big bad (a Red Court noble) is in hiding in an old mansion, and they plan to go after him.  So, barring surprises on their part, the characters will end up facing the RCV on his home turf, after having plenty of time to plan and prepare.  They're also banked several Fate points during the adventure, and I'm fully expecting them to tag a ton of aspects and turn the big bad into dust in Round 1.  Now, I'm pretty new to FATE, so I may have missed something.  The players have narrative control and die modifiers in the form of Fate Points and Aspects.  What does the gamemaster have, aside from GM fiat and using compels?  How does a bad guy utilize their own aspects in a conflict? 

I want to have a memorable conflict that will shape the rest of the campaign, not a one-sided conflict (on either side).  Once they manage to get into the presence of the big bad, I don't want to have the PCs kill or severely wound the big bad in the first round.  It wouldn't be hard for the combat-capable characters to tag 3 of their own aspects (without even touching scene aspects or maneuvers imposed by other members of the group) to get +6 to their first attack roll.  One even has "Better Dead than Red (Court)", so extended social conflicts aren't an option.

Also, what scene aspects would you give for an old mansion that has been the hidden lair of a Red Court noble for the better part of a century?

Offline trubrujah

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: The Big Bad and surviving round 1
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 09:38:45 PM »
The mansion must have the aspect "Hidden Passageways" cause, well, its villian hideout in an old mansion.  And as the GM, you have Fate points as well for your big bad.  The recommended amount is somewhere in the book and will be based off your party of adventures power levels.  If the PCs have had time to prepare, i don't think it is unreasonable to assume the bad guy has too.  "Traps" could be an aspect on the building that could be compeled, and the bad guy could use Hidden Passageways along wth his own aspects to simply vanish away from danger (effectively invoked to add to his defense roll, or a pre-created Veil, etc). 

It really just depends on how this villian will fight, and how he'd protect his home turf, but there are a few ideas.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 09:43:22 PM »
YS p326 has guidelines for scaling your bad guys to the PCs, which should go some way to making your big bad as powerful as you need it to be.

You may also want to rule that the big bad has had some time to research the PCs, and can accurately invoke/compel some of their own Aspects to their disadvantage. Especially if they are carrying around Consequences inflicted in earlier scenes by his own minions. "Serious Abdominal Trauma? Thank you, Henchman 12! [PUNCH]."
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 09:53:44 PM »
In my D&D games I call this the meat grinder effect and the cold hard mistress of initiative.

So for the first part, your RCV boss should be a match for the players.  Following the advice on how to scale NPCs (can't remember the page, but they talk about Tim the Sniper) I believe you total the refresh your players used for stunts and power and that should be about the refresh of your villain.

For my RCV boss vampire her minimum refresh is -15.  I have planted seeds that she'd learned other magic as well, and indicated Evocation and Thaumaturgy which would make her -21, about even for 2.5 of my players.

While I wouldn't set up your own meatgrinder to drain the PCs of fate points, I would at least throw a few complications in their way.  A century old vampire is going to be seriously prepared for invaders, and for a way out.  As trubrujah says traps and escape.  If it gets too bad concede and have your aspect already in place.  To enforce a concession, maybe the old monster has a loved one or family member hostage, awaiting his message to prevent their murder and a pre-ordained time.  Or hell, just innocents.

You can run a social conflict if you want.  As an ancient vampire, why the hell would I even let them see me?  I'll have the house wired so I can project my presence anywhere, and ridicule them, Intimidate or otherwise annoy them, and make social attacks to eat up stress.  Blocked passages via iron gates and the like might enforce an extended contest to find me as well.

Finally you should have a few options for fate points for yourself.  I run with a start of 1 per player per session, so with four players my base refresh is 4.  Every time they invoke or otherwise spend an FP, I get it.  This is my total pool for all the NPCs I run.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 09:54:24 PM »
One thing that is talked about in the books is venom addicted mages.  You could have TBBG have a couple of mages around him, putting up blocks around him, giving him cover fire.  Heck, even some mortals/halfys should be there doing the same.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 10:41:18 PM »
    Or, maybe. Everything that has transpired up to this point was all just part of the Vampires plot to draw the players to a confrontation at his home. Thus, maybe some of the research the players did was misinformation. Rule one. If the Vampire is centuries old, he's almost certainly smarter than the players.
    Also, maybe the Mansion was his family home prior to him being turned, and maybe it has historical significance reinforcing its threshold (A threshold he's invited into, since it was his mortal home). Even a low threshold is a huge penalty to any casters in the group. 

Offline Fedifensor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 10:44:33 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.  Here's a bit more info...but as a few of my players may glance over at this board (Ryan, Mike, and Gary, I'm talking to you!), I'm hiding the spoilers.

(Is there any way to do spoiler blocks on this board?)

There are 5 PCs, all Submerged, with the following high concepts:
* Wizard M.D. (1 Refresh, 9 spent)
(click to show/hide)
Bouncer (1 Refresh, 9 spent)
* Reluctant Avatar of Kali (2 Refresh, 8 spent)
* Bearer of the Staff of Enoch (2 Refresh, 8 spent)
* White Court Vampire Searching For Something More (1 Refresh, 9 spent)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline easl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
The players have narrative control and die modifiers in the form of Fate Points and Aspects.  What does the gamemaster have, aside from GM fiat and using compels?  How does a bad guy utilize their own aspects in a conflict? 

As someone else mentioned, the bad guys also have fate points they can use.

But beyond game mechanics, you have here a senior RCV.  You want to play him/her smart.  He/she (hereafter; he for short) doesn't just set traps and make sure he's got an escape route (though he should have both), he seduces, addicts, or buys a host of human shields.  You know, the sort of folks the council would take a VERY dim view of being killed by magic.  He should be making alliances with other supernatural forces so that if the PC's kill him, they will make an enemy of someone even worse - and he should be advertising that alliance, for deterrent effect.  He should be setting up "dead men's switches" on the PC's families so that if he doesn't radio so-and-so by 1600 today, they die.  In short, if he is a major Big Bad, he should be doing everything in his power to make the PC's not want to kill him, because its not worth the cost.

Its mentioned in the game books as well as the novels that when Harry is faced with an overwhelming force, he doesn't try and beat it, he tries to outwit it.  If your bad guy is facing a posse of overwhelming force, he should be trying to outwit them too - but the evil, machiavellian version of outwit.

Sure, you can ratchet up the tension of the final confrontation by throwing more raw force into it.   But you can also ratchet it up by making it relatively easy to kill him, but making the choice of whether to do so really intense.

Now, since you say there is another big bad setting this guy up, you might use only one or two of these effects.  Or maybe the RCV sets them all up, cackles madly when the PC's come to a sudden halt, but then something unexpected happens to remove some of his advantage (i.e. the BIG big bad intervenes subtlely).  But I think you get the point - don't just ramp up personal power.  Think smart and nasty.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 03:57:54 AM »
The key here is what type of game are your players expecting. If they expect to crawl through the RCV's "dungeon" and unload a ton of Fate Points on round 1 and go home, how would they react if you rain on their expectations?

Depending on the type of game you are GMing (and it appears quite high powered), perhaps you should ask yourself if the RCV should not be outclassed, even though he is your big bad with every ploy that he might try to stop the PCs either being stymied or countered.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Fedifensor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 06:06:58 AM »
But beyond game mechanics, you have here a senior RCV.  You want to play him/her smart.  He/she (hereafter; he for short) doesn't just set traps and make sure he's got an escape route (though he should have both), he seduces, addicts, or buys a host of human shields.  You know, the sort of folks the council would take a VERY dim view of being killed by magic.  He should be making alliances with other supernatural forces so that if the PC's kill him, they will make an enemy of someone even worse - and he should be advertising that alliance, for deterrent effect.  He should be setting up "dead men's switches" on the PC's families so that if he doesn't radio so-and-so by 1600 today, they die.  In short, if he is a major Big Bad, he should be doing everything in his power to make the PC's not want to kill him, because its not worth the cost.
Now, since you say there is another big bad setting this guy up, you might use only one or two of these effects.
(click to show/hide)

Sure, you can ratchet up the tension of the final confrontation by throwing more raw force into it.   But you can also ratchet it up by making it relatively easy to kill him, but making the choice of whether to do so really intense.
(click to show/hide)

The key here is what type of game are your players expecting. If they expect to crawl through the RCV's "dungeon" and unload a ton of Fate Points on round 1 and go home, how would they react if you rain on their expectations?
I think they'll be fine with it - they will realize that a quick, easy kill of the Big Bad may be an ego boost, but it won't make for a fun campaign.

Depending on the type of game you are GMing (and it appears quite high powered), perhaps you should ask yourself if the RCV should not be outclassed, even though he is your big bad with every ploy that he might try to stop the PCs either being stymied or countered.
It's about as high-powered as you would expect from a beginning Submerged game.  It's not anything like the games where people are starting at 15+ refresh, but each PC is as tough as "Storm Front" Harry.  Whenever Harry is teaming up with people like Thomas, Michael, and Murphy, he can face off with some seriously major-league threats...and I expect to carry on that tradition in my game.

I expect the Big Bad to be defeated...but it will be a close thing, and the battle will be decided by player ingenuity and a few outside influences hedging their bets.  Despite everything working against him, the guy is a Red Court noble with a lot of RCV's backing him up.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 09:35:19 AM »
1) The 5 PCs find the mansion with the vampires holed up inside.
2) The 5 PCs do not want to face a prepared master vampire in its home turf - they take a picture of the mansion and stay a bit away from it.
3) The 5 PCs make a big-ass ritual, each sacrificing 2 mild and 1 moderate consequence, invoking 2 aspects and doing 2 skill declarations each, using some Red Court blood previously obtained from other Red Court killed for keying purposes.
4) The 80-shift ritual creates a landmine that attacks red-court vampires over the entire mansion with a 70-shift psychomancy attack that tears apart their demonic spirits. All the red court vampires go splat, toughness and immunity powers notwithstanding.
4b) The PCs, not having Red Court blood to key the spell, apply thaumaturgy to the location using a photo. They manipulate gravity, applying a might 40 effect for 30 exchanges on the entire mansion, which lifts off the mansion upwards piece by piece and holds the pieces (and the occupants) in suspended animation. The PCs then procceed to shoot all the involuntarily floating vampires to pieces.
4c) The PCs realize they got at least one human among them and that vampires aren't human. They use human blood to key a landmine not to affect humans. The landmine applies on the entire mansion a block 20 for 50 exchanges on anything that isn't human, effectively immobilizing them. The PCs go in and start shooting helpless vampires at point-blank range.
4d) The PCs pull a meteor out of the sky and crash-land it on the mansion. 70-shift awesome crushing attack on everyone and everything on the mansion.

In short, if the PCs know the BBEG is holed up somewhere, that the BBEG and most of its minions are not human and they got at least one spellcaster in their group, the monsters are dead. With a few PCs to provide consequences and fate, a powerful ritual is a matter of minutes, not hours or days. And since monsters can neither create nor pass magic circles, they cannot take advantage of that kind of defense. Not that a magic circle or even magic immunity is gonna do squat against a meteor crashing at 20 miles/second on your head anyway.

Offline Fedifensor

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 04:24:59 PM »
In short, if the PCs know the BBEG is holed up somewhere, that the BBEG and most of its minions are not human and they got at least one spellcaster in their group, the monsters are dead. With a few PCs to provide consequences and fate, a powerful ritual is a matter of minutes, not hours or days. And since monsters can neither create nor pass magic circles, they cannot take advantage of that kind of defense. Not that a magic circle or even magic immunity is gonna do squat against a meteor crashing at 20 miles/second on your head anyway.
If it was that easy, why didn't Harry do it?  I think you're looking at game mechanics, rather than the flavor of the series.  The only person to ever call down a meteor on a place was the Blackstaff.  He not only had the power to do it, but also the expertise to place it exactly where he wanted it, and a way to cheat the 1st Law.  A starting PC wizard should have none of those things.

I think people are carrying the Thaumaturgy rules too far.  It's a weakness in the system - if you have trouble dealing with Rules Lawyers.  If anyone could call up unlimited power when using Thaumaturgy, there is no distinction between a hack spellslinger like Victor Sells and members of the Senior Council.  Victor could throw some pretty major-league stuff...but he couldn't take down Harry despite having a direct thaumaturgical link to him, and the consequences from doing so got him killed.  Any GM who just lets the PCs whip up a ritual in minutes to take down the BBEG shouldn't be running Dresden Files.  If the PC Wizard in my group tried it, I'd be hitting the group left and right with compels (like Too Much To Do causing interruptions)...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »
4b) The PCs, not having Red Court blood to key the spell, apply thaumaturgy to the location using a photo. They manipulate gravity, applying a might 40 effect for 30 exchanges on the entire mansion, which lifts off the mansion upwards piece by piece and holds the pieces (and the occupants) in suspended animation. The PCs then procceed to shoot all the involuntarily floating vampires to pieces.

If this was a movie, it would go direct to video. The DVD kind, not Blu-Ray. Who'd want to watch something like this on the big-screen?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
All of these crazy rituals aside, if you want to have longer, more dramatic and more fun fights then you have to become a master of your environment. This is what aspects are for and don't just occasionally invoke said aspect for a single +2, compel them, create situations where the PCs are in peril. Using the "Traps" example above perhaps you compel it to place the aspect of "Dangling from the ceiling by a rope snare" on a PC, now you can invoke that on a regular basis as his constant instability makes targeting interesting and if he doesn't do anything about it you can start throwing out aspects like "Blood rushing to your head" and "About to pass out". See how a simple aspect has created an interesting situation full of drama and complications?

Additionally the fight should stagger itself at least a little bit. The big bad isn't going to be sitting in the foyer waiting to welcome guests, he's going to be in some dungeon study while his mortal (and possibly non-mortal) security makes sure nothing gets to him.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:50:56 PM »
And then when/if he survives round 1, he might note that yeah, the PCs are going to kick his ass.  Then he runs, and it turns into a fight AND a chase, and above all an opportunity to wreck MORE of the guy's mansion and the surrounding countryside!