Author Topic: Magical Batteries  (Read 4319 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Magical Batteries
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 04:19:45 AM »
Perhaps a twist on Sponsored Magic would work best?
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 05:15:47 AM »
I am looking for a way to store shifts of power, as I think it would be a great way to have a Thaumaturgist that is capable during a fight and not just useful out of one. I can see a particularly clever one coming up  with something like this, and using it during the Climax of a fight or some such against the Big Bad.

Yeah, seems to me this is what they did with enchanted items.

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 06:30:33 AM »
Here's an idea: have an Enchanted Item that creates a persistent effect that does nothing aside from staying there for a few rounds, then harness it a la Redirecting Spell Energy when you need it. Probably be a maneuver with Ambient Magic on the scene, then grab that as needed, though the risk is that someone might grab it from you.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 06:36:53 AM »
The book already has a great mechanism for that: enchanted items and potions.  

And the reason "free" shifts don't work is that you don't get something for nothing. The idea is game breaking. Lets say i rely on some items for offense and defense, leaving mental stress track free, so at the end of every scene, i dump all into this "item". So what about every scene not described. Assuming each scene is 15 minutes, thats 96 shifts per day. Minus what you spend. Game Breaking. That is over 100 shifts per scene that you *could* throw around every day. After a week of not doing anything, you could get nearly 1000. As a GM, no effing way. not unless every baddy could to.  And with them sacrificing people, 10,000 per week easy.  Nuke. 50 shifts to a small city for an hour... Can your wizard survive that???
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 03:41:36 PM »
Here's an idea: have an Enchanted Item that creates a persistent effect that does nothing aside from staying there for a few rounds, then harness it a la Redirecting Spell Energy when you need it. Probably be a maneuver with Ambient Magic on the scene, then grab that as needed, though the risk is that someone might grab it from you.

Hey now, that's very creative!  I like that, and I think it works with the mechanics of the game.  I probably would go with a Navel Gazing Maneuver to apply the Charged With Energy Aspect to yourself.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
Hey now, that's very creative!  I like that, and I think it works with the mechanics of the game.  I probably would go with a Navel Gazing Maneuver to apply the Charged With Energy Aspect to yourself.

And you could stack it with multiple copies of the same Aspect, so it could be tagged for free multiple times.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:14 PM »
And you could stack it with multiple copies of the same Aspect, so it could be tagged for free multiple times.

Can you do that with one item?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 05:03:40 PM »
Can you do that with one item?

You can with a Ritual, according to the rules, but it increases the Complexity, so an Item may be too limited by the creator's Lore skill to allow it.

Offline Ophidimancer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »

That's true, but the effect the original poster was trying to achieve was to have shifts of power ready at his command, not to have an Aspect to tag.  Basically he'd have the Charged With Power spell up and just redirect it with Evocation as needed without having to endure the stress of casting a new spell, as well as having however many shifts in the spell to redirect.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 05:36:16 PM »
That's true, but the effect the original poster was trying to achieve was to have shifts of power ready at his command, not to have an Aspect to tag.  Basically he'd have the Charged With Power spell up and just redirect it with Evocation as needed without having to endure the stress of casting a new spell, as well as having however many shifts in the spell to redirect.

Ah, got it. There was a shift of terminology and I got lost. Sorry.

Offline Peteman

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2010, 04:32:39 AM »
The reason why I talked about a Maneuver was because this seemed like an Evocation effect and Evocation lists four things you can do with it: Attack, Block, Maneuver, or Counterspell, and it didn't seem to fit the other three.