Author Topic: Defensive item examples  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Defensive item examples
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:38:42 PM »
Crystal of Defensive Precognition
Divination 3 shifts, applies "glimpse of foresight" fragile aspect that may be tagged to increase/reroll your defense.
As an enemy attack is about to land on you, this item activates and your perception of time alters, giving you a brief glimpse into the future. You see how the enemy attack will be carried out and what you might do to evade it.

Anklets of Translocation
Transportation 4 shifts, moves you into a zone up to 4 zones away from you that is the farthest from your attacker. (similar to potion of escape)
As the enemy attacks, this item activates and teleports you the furthest possible away from the attacker, fouling their attack. Teleportation spells are hard to control however; if this item activates, you will get in the furthest possible zone with no regards to other dangers. You might be teleported off the edge of a bridge or away from a ghoul and next to its black court master.  Thus, this item is usually used as a last resort to escape fatal danger; if you're about to die, any danger might be acceptable.

Daira's Instant Circle
Water Defense 3 shifts, applies "active circle" fragile aspect on you.
To prepare this item, you draw a pint of your blood and place it into the enchanted bottle. When this item activates in case of magical attack, the water magic of the enchanted bottle expels your blood from the bottle and guides it to fall into the precise shape of a circle around you, blocking the magical attack as circles do. Unlike most enchanted items, in order to recharge this you need to refill it with your blood manually - this is the act of will on your part for the circle to work - and this might or might not require a consequence (GM-dependent). Blood stored in this way is good for a few hours at most - nonmagical anticoagulants can do only so much.

Ring of Invisibility
Veil 8 shifts
The ring makes you invisible, preventing enemies from aiming at you. Area attacks work normally, provided the enemy hits the right zone.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Defensive item examples
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »
Those look pretty good. Unless the Anklets of Translocation are meant to negate attacks, in which case they are far too strong.

I might have a few ideas of my own to add, if you're okay with that.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 12:18:35 AM »
The anklets are meant to negate attacks, yes. However, the drawback is that the wizard cannot control the teleportation and being teleported, for example, four zones to the left when you're at the top of a 20-storey building only 2 zones wide,  or four zones back and find yourself in the middle of a highway,  is not something you'd do with most attacks - only with something that would kill you.

Compare with the following two items, which are more powerful but far more effective;

Bracelet of the Interposing Gate:
Worldwalking defense 6 shifts
This item opens a Gateway between you and an incoming attack, shunting it off to the Nevernever if you are on Earth or into Earth if you are into the Nevernever, effectively countering it outright. You could also activate the item on your own to block off pursuit by simply filling the width of a passage with a gateway; pursuers that cannot dispel the gateway would either find themselves to the Nevernever or be forced to break through the walls or find alternative routes to follow you.

Ring of Elminster's Evasion:
Worldwalking/Transportation defense 13 (6+1+6) shifts
One of the most powerful defensive items designed by a mighty mage long ago, if this ring is activated, it opens a gateway to the Nevernever, teleports you just far enough to pass through it then counterspells the gateway behind you in almost the same instant. For most anyone watching, you appear to suddenly vanish with no trace.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
One of the things I've noticed that most players simply don't do is to cover mental and social attacks... but why not?

Sparkling Dentures
6 shifts (whatever element, but we'll use fire!)
Magical dentures create a 6 shift block versus social attacks, which are deflected by your extremely dazzling smile.

Big pimpin' gold chain
6 shifts
Provides armor: 2 versus mental attacks for 3 exchanges. Nobody tells a pimp what to do. (Note: mental armor does not protect against stress from your own spellcasting).

Why not cover items you care about?
I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance
10 shifts
This magical license plate provides one 10 shift block per session, for your car.  Finally tell those flying, poo-flinging apes how you really feel.

For that matter, I never really even see someone just do this:
I'm a hero, dammit!
10 shifts, air, works by creating a cushion of air resistance around protected people.
Provides an 8 shift block for all allies in the zone; allies being interpreted as "anyone not blatantly hostile to me". 
Or the slightly more questionable:
Provides a 7 shift block for all allies in one zone, up to one zone away from you. Now you can save falling victims with a cushion of air, without breaking a sweat to get there.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »
Why not cover items you care about?
I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance
10 shifts
This magical license plate provides one 10 shift block per session, for your car.  Finally tell those flying, poo-flinging apes how you really feel.

I have to ask: wouldn't the magic from the plate just aid and hasten the death of the car from the wizard's background hex-count? (If not, I know what my PCs are making next...)
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Tbora

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
I have to ask: wouldn't the magic from the plate just aid and hasten the death of the car from the wizard's background hex-count? (If not, I know what my PCs are making next...)

Hexing per the books is from outbursts of magic from intense emotions, basically a result of free will, so as a spell it might not work ( you would roll for it) but if you did it as an enchanted item and applied it that way it would work imo.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 11:06:26 PM »
Like the Weasley's flying car.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 02:16:43 AM »
Well, harry's stuff is regularly in his car, and it doesn't break it too often... but i suppose you could totally just buy off a hex compel with a fate point :)

Still, jury rigging from a hex is better than having your car totaled.