Author Topic: Compelling an Item Of Power  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Compelling an Item Of Power
« on: November 20, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »
Items of Power are - as per the rules - referenced as an Aspect or part of; wanted to get some feedback from the community on how you've been compelling (or have been compelled) on all the swords, rings, staves and bracelets out there.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
Re: Compelling an Item Of Power
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 06:33:18 PM »
The simplest way I've heard of is just simply taking the item. Other than that if the item has a purpose or personality you compel it along those lines.

Like for example Uruv the Red the Evil Saber likes to drink blood, kill folks, and do other such evil shenanigans.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Offline Nyarlathotep5150

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 06:59:59 AM »
   Yeah. Unless the Item has built in flaws (not all do), or special ways to destroy them, the only reliable compel is that they can be stolen/disarmed/lost.

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 07:42:41 AM »
The easiest way to compel most "weaponized" items of power should be "dragging someone into conflict", even if its wielder is either outclassed or outnumbered by his opponent(s).

The GM can also drag the Item's bearer into a non-physical conflict,f.e. it might be a social-conflict-compel, where the GM compels the player to use an alternate solution instead of picking up a fight with his opponent, even if he would clearly win a physical conflict and might loose a social conflict.
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 09:53:10 PM »
The GM can also lay compels against the player relating to the nature of the IoP and the oaths, requirements, etc. that come with the wielding of that IoP.  For example, Michael is often limited regarding the use to which he can put the Sword.  I see a number of places in the series where the player of Michael might have wanted to slay a coin-bearer (for example) outright, but the GM stepped in, handed the player a Fate point, and said "Don't you think it would be better to try your absolute hardest to save the poor mortal soul locked within that monster's body?"