Author Topic: Item of Power Question  (Read 6028 times)

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
Re: Item of Power Question
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 10:02:59 PM »
you kinda hit on a point I was thinking of on your last point. Not all cities have concealment permits. some place have it where you have to have it in the open all the time, which carries all sorts of problems. Like people seeing it if it is revealed or the cop finding it if it's concealed and not supposed to be. You might want to find out the gun carrying laws of the city your playing in. And some cities I think might have laws where you can't carry guns at all. I'm thinking NY city has something like that, but am not completely sure, and can't remember where I heard it now.

Game is set in Seattle which does have Conceal Laws with a license.  So no worries there.  I figure he keeps this particular gun in a gunbelt locked up in a safe and warded by his Warden Buddy when he isn't using it.  The rest of the time he might carry a shotgun in the gun rack in his beat up old truck and maybe have a normal pistol on him. 
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »
Oh, another idea I forgot to mention earlier: Why not make your IoP a rifle, instead?  That way it would be clearly in the +2 category, and you also be able to call it a weapon:3 with longer range, as well.  Your pistol could be a normal weapon, and as concealable as you and your GM think it ought to be.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:49 PM »
Oh, another idea I forgot to mention earlier: Why not make your IoP a rifle, instead?  That way it would be clearly in the +2 category, and you also be able to call it a weapon:3 with longer range, as well.  Your pistol could be a normal weapon, and as concealable as you and your GM think it ought to be.

You can't be a Gunfighter from the Old West with a Rifle.

*Cowboy Hat over Heart*

It's the Law of the West.....
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 10:25:28 PM »
You can't be a Gunfighter from the Old West with a Rifle.

*Cowboy Hat over Heart*

It's the Law of the West.....

I beg to differ.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
I'll admit that I haven't seen an authentic Western in some time ... but I'm damn sure that the gunfighter who didn't have a rifle tucked into a saddle holster was a rare exception, and probably mocked (rightfully so!) by his peers.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:33 PM »
It is funny.  I was just thinking the same thing.  A Henry Rifle (which would HAVE to be a +3 dmg) or a Winchester would be pretty cool.  And it would mitigate this whole argument.  Hmmmm. 

Oh and I loved the Rifleman when I was a wee bairn too.  :D

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline muchan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2010, 11:38:36 PM »
How about a Mare's Leg for the IoP? Clearly big enough to warrant the +2 discount, rifle damage, and yet, could be used in a very gunfighter kind of way. That, and it's unique.

Worked for Zoey... :D

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 12:50:55 AM »
You could also look back for a post by ... belial, I think, which had a character concept with a background similar to yours and a Really Big Friggin' Gun -- the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro Express Magnum.  This was, apparently, a pistol designed make those pesky Wooly Mammoths tremble in their boots, just in case you ever happen to see one.  Thirteen pounds and then some and nearly two feet long.  The kind of sidearm Crocodile Dundee would carry next to his knife, if he ever needed more than the knife.

Look at the picture, then scroll down a bit until you see the picture of the gun being held by someone:

http://www.vincelewis.net/60magnum.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCInkw3641w

Enjoy!  I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 02:44:10 AM »
And, depending on the ST conceal and carry permits are available in almost all cities.  The question is how easy it is to obtain one.  If you have a record or get arrested forget it.  So, it is a concern brought up in game play...  Fate Point situation like being out of ammo.  I mean let think back to the books.  The knight carry around freakin swords and more through the cities.  Play it smart and you should be fine.  The only state currently in the union that allow you to carry a sword is LA.  If you are 21 and a male land owner you can carry a sword.  However, they have a nice little catch all called "alarms the populous" which basically means you scare other people and we can make you stop.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 02:45:37 AM »
You'd do it for Randolph Scott!
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
Carrying a sword in Seattle is a bit more problematic.  Don't know if you guys remember that guy who got shot down by the police here a few years back for brandishing a katana.  Pretty crazy stuff. 

I like the idea of a Winchester and a Mare's Leg might be the perfect compromise. 

I don't think I really need a Wooly Mammoth killing pistol.  Until some necromancer shows up on one in a sad parody of riding Sue that is.   ;D

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 05:33:44 PM »
You could also look back for a post by ... belial, I think, which had a character concept with a background similar to yours and a Really Big Friggin' Gun -- the Pfeifer-Zeliska .600 Nitro...Look at the picture, then scroll down a bit until you see the picture of the gun being held by someone:

Which of course inspires: "Look at your gun, now back to mine, then back to your gun, now back to mine... your gun isn't as big as mine."
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
And, depending on the ST conceal and carry permits are available in almost all cities.  The question is how easy it is to obtain one.  If you have a record or get arrested forget it.  So, it is a concern brought up in game play...  Fate Point situation like being out of ammo.  I mean let think back to the books.  The knight carry around freakin swords and more through the cities.  Play it smart and you should be fine.  The only state currently in the union that allow you to carry a sword is LA.  If you are 21 and a male land owner you can carry a sword.  However, they have a nice little catch all called "alarms the populous" which basically means you scare other people and we can make you stop.

I think you meant California and leave it to the state run by Conan the Barbarian to be the only one that lets you carry a sword  :P
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »
I think you meant California and leave it to the state run by Conan the Barbarian to be the only one that lets you carry a sword  :P

I think you mean Conan the Republican.   :D

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 01:08:02 PM »
I think you mean Conan the Republican.   :D

depending on who you ask they can mean the same thing  :D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...