Author Topic: An Eruv is a threshold and can support wards  (Read 4307 times)

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: An Eruv is a threshold and can support wards
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 04:50:14 PM »
Or perhaps each generation since it was founded?  Raising a family strengthens the threshold, after all.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 07:18:20 AM »
I think you worded it wrong, Ryan.  An Eruv is a boundary and can support a ward or threshold.  As pointed out above, I suspect that most Eruvs are formalities, and would therefore not support a threshold, though some very tight-knit communities might.  But even if it had no threshold, I would think that the boundary (which according to the article is often demarked by a wire enclosure complete with wire 'doorways') would be suitable for erecting a ward upon. 
That article is a bit of an oversimplification when it comes to virtual eruvs. The Talmudic laws on the Eruv (which I admit, I have studied only a wee little bit) are based on the idea that the entrance to a courtyard is symbolically similar to the opening of the First Temple, and also the Tabernacle and must follow certain height and width limitations. But, if there is a lintel at a certain height, you can use an opening of any width (as long as there are doorposts I think). Effectively, the wires are lintels. So, they're not walls. The whole virtual eruv is threshold.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »
The other example we have of thresholds is a Church. 

- It's a public building.
- Everyone is theoretically invited.
- Maintenance/Electricity all apply.

The reason it gets a threshold status is because of "hallowed ground", and it's understood that there is some sort of divine protection going on.

While an eruv wouldn't have that divine aspect quite so strongly, there is certainly a religious component to it, which I would argue would make it more powerful than an your average "intrinsic" threshold created by a community/family who never gave any thought to it. 

Another point in favor of an eruv is that in many cases the community is actively checking up on and religiously (pun intended) attending to it.  It is common practice in the US to have an automated voice message and weekly e-mail telling people that the Eruv is "active".  To me this feels like the constant maintenance described that is needed for focus items in the RPG.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html