Author Topic: One on One play?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Armos Black

• Lurker
    • View Profile
One on One play?
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:27:42 PM »
I am sure this has been brought up many times before but I searched for it and came up empty. Dresden has a great character creation system but what if you only have one player to start with a my get more done the line. What would be the best way to go about this? Any ideas or links to this topic on the forums? Thank you all.

Tbora

Re: One on One play?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:29:20 PM »
Well it seems to me that you might want to wait till you have more players, one of the biggest strengths of the DFRPG is its reliance on collaboration.

Not much help I know, but its how I have seen things work the best by and large.

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:44:01 PM »
I've had a couple rounds of recruiting new players in my game.  And so far, there have been two new players each time.  Which is a problem because they need another story to guest star in.  I generally pick an NPC and come up with a story for him.  That way the player is a little more connected to the city and the story I'm trying to tell.  It's also a good way to give the player a contact that can do things the player can't (but be sure not to let the NPC outclass the PC.)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:35:33 AM »
I think the novels are a pretty good example of how this works out.  You have one actual player (Harry) and several player-grade NPCs who fill the role of other players (Thomas, Murphy, Michael, etc).  Generally speaking, most of the planning and heavy thinking is done by the player, with the NPCs providing occasional firepower, information gathering, and other roles (much like in the novels).  Just make sure its the player driving the story, not the NPCs.