Author Topic: The Mating Habits of Dragons in the Dresdenverse  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Aohd

• Participant
    • View Profile
The Mating Habits of Dragons in the Dresdenverse
« on: October 30, 2010, 03:36:33 PM »
A lot of this is just simply not covered by the books, I am basically looking for opinions on what fits.

1. some of the source material seems to indicate that dragons are rare in the extreme or perhaps that they are a dying race. Can they produce offspring?

2. Can a dragon breed with other races in the Dresden-verse? This is a fantasy troupe, but I am not sure if it fits. We know that they are powerful shape-shifters but it seems like they would be uninterested in the lesser creatures.

3. One of the plot devices in my game is an object which turns out to be a Dragon egg. Does the idea that a dragon lays a physical egg not fit in the Dresden-verse? It seems a bit off to me. It seems too, I don't know, mundane for a dragon. Never the less the plot basically revolves around a stolen dragon egg. What would the egg look like if there was an egg? How large would it be? Am I over thinking the egg?

Any ideas?

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: The Mating Habits of Dragons in the Dresdenverse
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
Make the egg something special. A gemstone the size of a basketball, perhaps. Is this a little D dragon, or a Dragon? I don't think the big Ds are reproducing much anymore, but little Ds are probably making a comeback with the end of knights hunting down dragons to save damsels (or, as was more likely, the dragons are coming back from various human pogroms caused by the theft of livestock).

Dragons laying eggs is fine by me.

I don't know for sure if Dragons can interbreed, but I think they can. My theory about Drakul (and by some extension his son Dracula) is that he was sired by a Big D Dragon. As far as the little D fire-breathing lizards, I don't know if they could or not.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 07:24:04 PM »
Drakul is specifically referred to as "That old Serpent". This might be evidence that dragons can breed with humans.

Or this might be evidence that Lucifer has appeared as a physical dragon once or twice.

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 09:22:04 AM »
or world serpent, serpent could also that pesky snake in the garden. but lets think of what harry saw when he used the sight on Kincaid the son of the son of drakul or was he just the son of drakul i cant remember. any ways his form was demonic, which makes me think that its good ol lucy more than a D dragon.

Offline Aohd

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Make the egg something special. A gemstone the size of a basketball, perhaps. Is this a little D dragon, or a Dragon? I don't think the big Ds are reproducing much anymore, but little Ds are probably making a comeback with the end of knights hunting down dragons to save damsels (or, as was more likely, the dragons are coming back from various human pogroms caused by the theft of livestock).

This would be a Capital D Dragon. Aži Dahāka of Zoroastrian myth in fact.

I also get the impression that the big Ds don't breed much, though I am not sure where I am getting that idea.

I like the idea of making the egg an object with a powerful veil or an object invested with will as a vessel of the unborn rather then an egg that might have a yoke inside. I think this is how I will play this. Not sure what would happen if it hatched though.

Offline Aohd

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 01:46:55 PM »
or world serpent, serpent could also that pesky snake in the garden. but lets think of what harry saw when he used the sight on Kincaid the son of the son of drakul or was he just the son of drakul i cant remember. any ways his form was demonic, which makes me think that its good ol lucy more than a D dragon.

My theory is that Big D dragons in the Dresden-verse are all somehow related to the Lucifer. Perhaps they are merely one form of the original fallen, or the first offspring of the morning star. Maybe they where just the first creatures to align themselves with Lucifer after the fall. 

For the record, I think that the vision of Kincaid was implying that he was a Nephilim.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 01:57:27 PM »
WoJ on Ferrovax

Ferrovax feels absolutely no need to boast.  It's because he /is/ a Dragon, large D, an elemental force of the cosmos.  He isn't some kind of Smaug hanging around a nice apartment.  He's a Dragon in a more Asian sense of the concept, a semi-divine being who was once given authority over various portions of the mortal universe, and who was responsible for their orderly procession.  There /are/ Smauglike dragons (though not nearly as many now as there have been in the past, thanks George!) but they are essentially nothing but emissaries and servitors created in the image of the real thing.

Regardless of big D or little d, dragons almost universally resent humanity for usurping the balance of power in the world.

Source: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,11033.msg494010/topicseen.html#msg494010

Offline Aohd

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »
WoJ on Ferrovax

wow that's mega BA

This would be a Capital D Dragon. Aži Dahāka of Zoroastrian myth in fact.

also i think the WoJ would work hand in hand for the Dragon in your campaign
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
Since this is something that you are going to be making up off the cuff it is entirely up to you.

If I was coming up with a mating habit for dragons that explains the differences between d-dragons and D-Dragons I think I would use some basic rules.

If 2 D-Dragons mate then the eggs produced will produce D-Dragon eggs. (maybe a once in a millennia occurrence)
A D-Dragon mating with anything else will produce an offspring that can evolve into a D-Dragon with proper mystical prowess and knowledge. (maybe a twice in a millennia occurrence)
2 d-dragons mating will produce an offspring that can evolve into a D-Dragon with proper mystical prowess and knowledge. (maybe a once in a century occurrence)
A d-dragon mating will produce an offspring that is a d-dragon and cannot evolve beyond its current level. (maybe a twice in a century occurrence)

Now, just so we are clear remember the power levels we are dealing with on this forum.  Any drake is a match to most wardens and some of the lower council members.  The D-Dragons are powerhouses that could eliminate damn near all the white council if they set all their resources to accomplishing that goal.  Tread carefully here, so that you do not over power your game.

I hope this helps.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »
Now, just so we are clear remember the power levels we are dealing with on this forum.  Any drake is a match to most wardens and some of the lower council members.  The D-Dragons are powerhouses that could eliminate damn near all the white council if they set all their resources to accomplishing that goal.  Tread carefully here, so that you do not over power your game.

ok idk about this i really think you're underselling the wizards here think about Michael killed  Dragon by himslef and from the impression I got he was pretty new to the whole KotC thing when he did it

if a newbie Knight of the Cross can take out a Dragon I'm pretty sure that a well trained warden with a couple centries of combat experience could do it
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Tbora

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 09:03:37 PM »
Michael took out Siriothax (SP?) the weakest of the Dragons true, but consider this - he also has the backing of the White God - a being that is powerful enough to have a credible claim to the title Almighty.I'd say that evened out the fight, in any case I suggest you read the power trapping "All Things Are Equal Before God" on the Sword of the Cross item in the Knight of The Cross Template.It lets them for a fate point, bypass any armor and toughness an enemy has by substituting it for its Catch.That is how Michael managed.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 10:28:25 PM »
Not to mention that Michael probably had about 10+ fate points at this point (if not a whole lot more). Lots of compels to get him there, likely. And I'm sure he spend most of them during that fight. :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 10:59:49 PM »
Thanks for the backing guys.  I know that wizards are powerhouses.  But, what I always remember is that they are glass cannons.  They can cause all kinds of damage.  However, when it comes down to it a wizard is just a mortal with magic.  Hell a gang banger with a knife could gak Luccio if he got the drop on her.  Dragons, even the weakest of them are physical beasts not to mention the chance to learn ridiculous amounts of mystical knowledge and equal or best a wizard in the arts of magic.  On an equal basis dragons of any stripe will mop the floor with most wizards. 

Now as Dresden has stated wizards are god awful sneaky.  Given time I trust humans and their backstabbing, sneaky and borderline evil natures to win the day if they are given a chance to prepare.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »
with all the over whelming disagreement I have to admit that I didn't give Michael a fair chance also I totally forgot about the All Creatures trapping on the sword all that said I still think that with a bit of Thaum and preparation a Wizard with a high enough paygrade could take out a dragon