Author Topic: Anyone converted Fudge to Open D6  (Read 1308 times)

Offline npd740

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Anyone converted Fudge to Open D6
« on: November 10, 2010, 10:59:14 PM »
Hello,

I love the Dresden universe and like what Evil Hat did with the products for the Dresden game.  Unfortunately as much as I think they were able to capture the spirit of Dresden, I and my group aren't fond of the Fudge System.  I plan to convert the Fudge system to the Open D6 system.  Before I do so though, I wanted to make sure no one had already done so. 

If anyone has a site that they have already done this, could they please give the address.  And/or if there is a better system that I am missing that Fudge converts to easily could someone point that out to me.

Thanks

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone converted Fudge to Open D6
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 12:24:25 AM »
Hm.  I think that trying to convert a rules-light narrative game into a full-rules system is going to be a challenge of a scale similar to creating a new game from scratch.  In particular, I think that trying to convert concepts like "Aspects" and the Fate Point economy into almost any system is likely to be frustrating.

Looking over the D6 stuff I see online (I've only really looked at the old Star Wars and MetaBarons versions of D6 before now), it looks like they have a variety of powers and such; I think it would make more sense to build house rules on top of D6 Adventures and D6 Magic to try to add more of a Dresden feel to it than to approach from the other side of things.

As an aside, what is it about Fudge that you don't like?  And given how different Fate is from Fudge (other than the dice), does Fate share that thing you don't like?

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone converted Fudge to Open D6
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 03:24:49 AM »
And given how different Fate is from Fudge (other than the dice), does Fate share that thing you don't like?

To be fair, FATE is a specific implementation of Fudge, not a different animal. A bunch of the stuff that FATE does is present in some form somewhere in Fudge. FATE is just tuned toward some specific goals, and it implements some of the bits differently.

So, while someone who dislikes some specific thing about Fudge might like FATE, someone who just generally doesn't like Fudge isn't likely to enjoy FATE a whole lot.

I wish I could be more helpful, but most of my conversion experiences involving FATE have been dropping the system of some game in favour of FATE.