Author Topic: DFRPG for Kids  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
DFRPG for Kids
« on: October 19, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »
So, I have 3 kids, ages 8 (girl), 9 & 10 (boys). The boys are interested in Dad's hobby, and while the girl currently isn't, she is often wanting to get involved when she sees us having fun.

So, since I was waning to get DFRPG anyway, and I'd heard that FATE might work for kids, I picked up Your Story, and getting Our World in a couple weeks.

Aside from probably dumbing things down for a bit, and taking out the racer elements (such as WCVs who feedbon lust), as well as denying.the templates that have too many options in play to start out with, such as spellcasting, any suggestions? I was leaning towards a Sorcerer's Apprentice feel for them due to their age.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG for Kids
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 05:32:23 PM »
Hey! Welcome to the boards!

I think the game might work very well for kids. Giving the age of your kids I suggest keeping things very low, witch shouldn't be a huge problem. I suggest keeping it purely mortal for several reasons: 1. wizard talents usually manifest during puberty so the apprentice thing might be problematic. 2. While the rules for the normal stuff are pretty simple, the magic rules are more complicated.

If you want to keep their characters their age you could design some adventurous kids campaign where they stumble over a boogie man or such. Or you could create some little folk PCs for them ... possibly even some of the 'Za-Lords Guard who have to defend the pixies from Mister or something. Lots and lots of funny possibilities.

Reduce the aspects of the characters to only a high concept, a trouble and one more. Keep the fighting simple and reduce everything to a physical stress track. I imagine fun and entertainment along with engaging their imagination are the highest priorities.

All in all the DFRPG is probably one of the best starter RPG-systems I have come across over the years.   
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 05:51:55 PM »
I wouldn't limit the aspects if you don't have to. I know it always depends on the kids. Some don't have the attention span to go through the process but some could come up with aspects forever if you let them. I would start at the beginning and then stop when they started having trouble/losing interest.

If you were set on magic there are a couple of things you could do to streamline the process. One would be sticking to evocation/channeling (thaumaturgy is much more complex) and the other would be simply having a very good understanding of the process so that you can immediately respond with a roll when they say "I want to do this."

Have fun and Good luck, I love bringing young'ins into the fold.

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 12:24:08 AM »
Keep us posted on how it goes!!
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 01:27:58 PM »
Keep us posted on how it goes!!

Ok!

We started with the city last night. I gave my boys a choice, and we went with our home town of San Antonio.

So, I explained them the idea of themes and threats for a city, and the difference between a game-city and the real one.

So, my 8 yr old son said he wanted there to be a dragon, underwater, in a cage, and people were trying to break him free! I explained that dragons are evil, and he said, "Ok, then it's bad people trying to break him out!"

I then asked my oldest son what he wanted, and he said "A group of magical, intelligent, lions on fire, that also breathe fire, attacking the army!" Well, there are a number of Air Force bases in the area, so... I asked him which was the evil side, and he said originally the air force, as he wanted to play the lion, but he also wanted to play a Champion of God (he loved the picture of Michael on the front cover), so he changed his mind and went with the lions being evil.

I then explained that these are long term things that don't get settled overnight, so to speak. They were cool with it, so I defined the first as a city threat: The Scales of War aspect (heh, ripped from the adventure path :)  for, uh, Pathfinder or D&D 4e I think?), and defined it as opposing factions looking to free (or keep imprisoned) a dragon underwater. I'll explain the underwater part in a minute.

With the whole magical flaming lion thing, I'm not sure what to do. He originally wanted the air force evil, and I was going to have the air force being infiltrated, but he changed his mind this morning. Then again, being children, black and white is easier at this age. So, I'm going to define it as some clued-in mortals, including some mid-level officers, who know something of what's going on, but don't have enough clout to be taken seriously. Maybe a few military versions of Karrin Murphy. I'm not sure about the lions, but I thought probably Fae, Summer Fae (not sure why they are "at war" yet though), though I suppose I could make them Werelions with some magical talents towards fire as well?

I then defined the third originally as an attempt by magical beings to take over the military/industrial complex in the area, since there is so much of it. That was before my son switched the lions to evil instead of good, and visa versa. Then again, both sides could be evil I suppose. Again, black and white will work best for them at this age I think, but that doesn't mean I can't have two evil sides fighting.

We then listed a dozen locations, skipping faces and other things for now. I'm sort of skipping around to fit their kinds of interests, going in and filling in the parts I know they either won't be terribly interested in or will be a bit hard for them to grasp currently. San Antonio is ripe with lots of large public locations. They chose which ones they wanted to be threats vs themes, without defining what the themes or threats are for the moment. They kind of understand defining threats, but they are having a harder time grasping themes, so I may have to step in for the themes.

So far we chose:

1. the Riverwalk (one possible location for the dragon - they want this to be a theme area though).
2. Seaworld and Schlitterbauhn - The San Antonio Seaworld is the biggest water exhibit in the world - until 2011, when one in Japan opens up that will dwarf this one. Schlitterbauhn is one of the biggest and best waterparks in the world. These two would also be a great place for the dragon, and they want this to be a threat.
3. Tower of the Americas - threat
4. Randolph Air Force Base - threat
5. The alamo - theme
6. Natural Caverns - a large cavern complex that are given tours. Next to a drive-through safari. Threat
7. Witte Musuem - a nifty museum, just had a dinosaur exhibit leave and now has "backyard monsters" about insects - have statues of insects larger than humans. Theme. Could be a secret meeting place for clued-in mortals or something.
8. Alamo Dome - theme
9. Brackenridge Park and the San Antonio Zoo - a decent zoo, and a huge park spread out throughout the place, with a river winding through it, bridges, etc. Threat.
10. Other air force bases in the area?
11. Our church, the Community Bible Church - a nice huge church, but kinda weirded me out the first time we went. It had police officers directing traffic, tvs everywhere, the various day care and childrens bible classes had people with wireless bluetooth earpieces talking to each other, computer setupts everywhere. It looked more like a business, a well-organized one, than a church, and has two coffee and breakfast burrito shops. They almost never talk about money, and don't even pass around a donation plate either. It occurs to me I could have them so well-organized because they are either militant fighters of the dark... or in actuality an evil organization in disguise (though I suspect the former is better, my sons may not understand that theme at this age).
12. There are lots of missionaries, old ones from the glory days of "Gold, God, and Glory," of the spanish conquistadors, as well as lots of catholic churches. I will probably do something with those as well.

The list goes on and on. S.A. has so many interesting things here, things going on, etc. At the same time, it has interstates going back and forth through its heart, that even though its greater S.A. has two million people, it has a small town feel - traffic is only REALLY bad when there is an accident or during the end of work on a holiday or something, otherwise, though 5 pm traffic does slow down, it is nowhere near as bad as many cities of comparable size. Though there are so many criss-crossing over- and underpasses that it confuses most GPSes on where you are when you hit those areas.

There arent a lot of local urban legends, but there are a few. The most common one concerns a railroad where supposedly a busfull of children were killed when the bus stalled on the railroad tracks, and now supposedly when a car stalls on those tracks, the ghosts of the children push the bus off the tracks. In truth, there was no accident, it was made up to explain why cars that sit on those tracks will slowly roll off of them, when the land appears flat. In truth, it has a very mild grade, but so mild its almost impossible to see... but just enough to slowly have the car roll off of it.

There's also the Donkey Lady (and the Donkey Lady Bridge) which I haven't read much about yet, the Chupacabra, the Nazi Farm, the Midget Mansion, the Black Swan Inn (supposedly haunted by native american indian ghosts), and an abandoned mental institution - none of the above that I've read much about yet - and the weird story of an entire huge hotel that was moved on wheels from one location to another in one piece (thats a true story too, actually, the Fairmont Hotel, and was at the time in the Guiness Book of World Records as the largest structure ever moved on wheels - at least, at the time, I'm not sure if it's been beaten since then. That was in 1985 I think).

Anyway, so I'm going to do some research on those urban legends, and will have to think about what to do about these themes and threats my boys wanted, as well as what to do with the citywide ideas my boys had.

In the meantime, my oldest wants to play a Champion of God - primarily because he likes the look of Michael on the front cover of the book. My youngest son wanted to play a wizard at first, but I explained it was probably a bit too complex at the moment, and after considering his threat of the dragon he explained, I suggested Emisssary of Power, and basically be a Weredragon, taking Wings, Breath attack, huge, claws, mark of power, human form, etc. He got REALLY excited about that.

I explained to him that would mean that the bad guy that gave him his power would try and make him do bad things sometime, explained it as if it was kind of like mind control, and that he would be going, "No, you're evil, one day I'll get you!"  He said that sounded cool, hehe!

So, that's where we stand as of this morning. :)

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 06:42:05 PM »
The Lions could be demons (which in Dresden Files is a term usually used interchangeably with spirits). Summoned by somebody on base. I'd be hesitant about fae there... lots of iron/steel. LOTS. At least from a faerie's perspective. :)

As for ideas and urban legends, I'd recommend heading to some of the older places around town and asking if they have any "weird stories" and the like. You can use those as a starting place for adventure hooks.  Remember, mortals not clued in tend to re-write history to be more explainable. Maybe the bus didn't stall, it was attacked by a spirit/demon that attacks children? Or maybe the overpasses is a spot where a couple of leylines intersect (and that's why GPSs get wonky).

Other than that, thanks for the update and sounds like you're all having a lot of fun there! :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 11:01:32 PM »
The Lions could be demons (which in Dresden Files is a term usually used interchangeably with spirits). Summoned by somebody on base. I'd be hesitant about fae there... lots of iron/steel. LOTS. At least from a faerie's perspective. :)

Duh, yeah, no kidding. Thanks for reminding me of that, heh!

Maybe the bus didn't stall, it was attacked by a spirit/demon that attacks children? Or maybe the overpasses is a spot where a couple of leylines intersect (and that's why GPSs get wonky).

Other than that, thanks for the update and sounds like you're all having a lot of fun there! :)

Hm, good ideas, I'll keep those in mind!

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 11:19:55 PM »
:)  That's the fun thing about DF, anything even remotely weird, or even a bit of a story could be super very supernatural.  That, and when creating stories/encounters, think backwards. *You* see the end result, what could have caused it?

[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 03:02:54 AM »
Ok, so, we made their characters yesterday, with lots of input from me. I made an NPC wizard to help them out as necessary, but he won't be around much - they are new to roleplaying, but the last thing I want is for my "GMs PC" tp steal the show heh!

So, my oldest made a Knight of the Cross with the following aspects:

1. High Concept - the Guard of God
2. Trouble - Wizards don't trust me
3. Background - I've seen the world (dad's a rich, jet-setting businessman who took his son with everywhere)
4. Rising Conflict - Foe of the Red Court (found his sword of the cross at the feet of a dead man, moments before red court vampires stormed the area trying to get the sword, so... I know, sounds more like first adventure than rising conflict, but I had trouble getting my boys to understand what I wanted here, so I just went with it :)  )
5. First Adventure - Adventure Name - "30 Pieces of Silver"; aspect - Too many foes, not enough swords; my son wanted to fight magical gorillas his first adventure, heh, so I made his foe Magog for this adventure :)... and, apparently, red, white, and black court vampires were also involved :)
6. Guest star - in the adventure "Hunting the Hunters" of my other son's; Aspect - I got your back!
7. Guest Star Redux - adventure "Brave New World" (of my npc wizard's); Aspect - A good offense is the best defense!

My youngest son wanted a Weredragon, so he took the wereform template, with superhuman toughness, and extra powers wings, breath weapon, huge size, claws... I think that's it... 8 points, which is what the knight of the cross spent too...

For aspects, he took:

1. High Concept - Weredragon with the Strength of Fire
2. Trouble - Has Trouble Trusting Others
3. Background - Mom Was a Wizard
4. Rising Conflict - Family Watched By the White Council (Apparently his mother used some dragon blood and a spell to transform this guy into a dragon shape his first time, to defend their community from a dragon attack... which, of course, breaks one of the Laws...)
5. First Adventure - adventure name "Hunting the Hunters"; Aspect - Hunting the Hunters; someone sent two golems to kill his parents (they lived in Japan, he is half japanese, father is american; tracking down the killers brought him to San Antonio).
6. Guest Star (30 Pieces of Silver) - Aspect - Rescued My Friend
7. Guest Star Redux (Brave New World) - Aspect "Why the Hate, Bro?"  (character apparently started wondering why there is so much hate and violence in the mystical community)

And then my backup character for them, the wizard, basically focused on making potions and enchanted items. :)

I fleshed out more of the city to make me happier while keeping in with their basic ideas. I'll post that later.

Offline MWKilduff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:54:30 AM »
I have to say your boys seem to be more advanced than you might give them credit.  The backgrounds and ideas are classy and fun.  Heck I have seen experienced pc's come up with worse.  I would agree not to be too subtle.  But, let them have their lead.  Kids will surprise you.  The ideas they have so far will be fabulous.  The only suggestion I have at this point with what you have planned make sure to really play up to the characters they designed.  I ran some 3.0 DnD for a group of younger players and I have to say that even when they were getting whooped if it was exciting and cool they loved the game.  So, make sure you use some explosive descriptions.
A wink, a smile, and a whole lot more!

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 01:56:50 AM »
Sounds very cool
Keep updating us!
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
I have to say your boys seem to be more advanced than you might give them credit.  The backgrounds and ideas are classy and fun.  Heck I have seen experienced pc's come up with worse.

Well, yes and no. The above weren't flat my kids' work. That was after a lot of prodding and guidance from me. For example, my son's weredragon was originally all fire in every aspect: I have the strength of fire! I am immune to fire! I kill people with fire!

That being said though, they do have wild imaginations, and after poking, prodding, guidance, and numerous examples, and me paraphrasing things, thy came out comparatively well.

I think they will make great RPers over time :)

I would agree not to be too subtle.  But, let them have their lead.  Kids will surprise you.  The ideas they have so far will be fabulous.  The only suggestion I have at this point with what you have planned make sure to really play up to the characters they designed.  I ran some 3.0 DnD for a group of younger players and I have to say that even when they were getting whooped if it was exciting and cool they loved the game.  So, make sure you use some explosive descriptions.

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it all in mind!

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 02:59:35 PM »
Ok, today I'm going to run the game for them.

First of all, the city: The City of San Antonio, after talking with the boys and giving my own spin on it, is as follows:

Threat: The Scales of War - a dragon lies imprisoned under water somewhere in the city. A force seeks to free it, and another force seeks to keep it imprisoned. I decided there is a "high priest" who gave himself the title of Wurmspeaker, who has a cult that follows him, trying to free their lord. He is, in essence, an Emmisary of Power. Opposing them is a Hydromancer, from a long line of Hydromancers, a family line, who has used a constant flow of water to ground the dragon's magic... and the water itself is enchanted to double as a prison. The dragon is, unbeknownst to anyone else but the Hydromancer, under S.A.; with the Riverwalk, Schlitterbauhn, Sea World, and all the other watery stuff going on here, they are actually connected via a complex system that keeps the water flowing, yet still enchanted.

Yes, I don't know how the water stays enchanted - but like the RPG book said, I also don't know how Warden Ramirez and other Wizards can manipulate water like they do when it grounds out magic either. So, there you have it. :P

Threat: Who Shall Rule - there is a struggle going on between various factions on who shall control S.A.; a husband/wife team of WCVs of the type that feeds off despair (Malvora? I can't recall off hand, and don't have my books on me), who are at the top of their household locally. They are the top dogs, but not by a significant enough margin to discourage challengers. There are also a clan of Werelions, the top dog who is a warlock (pyromancer to be specific) who moved into S.A. recently pursuing enemies of theirs, a clan of werebears who are also in the military.

See, the Werebears were originally soviet spies... but they have since then gone native many years ago, and are more family, and marginally patriotic. Their top dog is a big wig at one of the local air force bases, and worked at getting her other clan members moved under her command here in S.A.; the Werelions, for some reason I haven't decided on yet and isn't important right this second, hate them (a Hatfield vs McCoy type thing), and are so driven to get revenge that they have tracked the movements of this clan to here, and now that the Werebears are in one place, the werelions are building up for a final show-down. Winner take all.

To fit in with this aspect, the Werebears, for their part, are working at stabilizing the area, more for their own safety, but it will also put them in conflict with the WCVs and other players in the local supernatural politics.

I need to come up with cooler names for them than Werebears and Werelions, but for now it works, especially as my oldest player is 10 yrs old, hehe!

Theme: The River of Flesh - this is connected somewhat with Who Shall Control, but enough factions are concentrated specifically just on this that UI made it a separate theme.  Being near the border, and S.A. being 75% hispanic, there is a definite flow of illegal aliens that comes through here. What few people know is, the flow is specifically encouraged, and far more people come through than is realized - although most disappear, never to be seen again.

This is because the WCVs have a brisk trade in human flesh going on, "helping" illegal immigrants come through, only to be taken for themselves, or sold to other households, as what amounts to food stock, plus the typical modern day slavery, prostitution, etc. As they feed on despair, these people who are made into livestock or slaves, with no hope of freedom, in the most horrible conditions the Malvorans (?) can engineer, makes it a very ripe feeding ground.

Unfortunately for the WCVs, this also makes them ripe for other vampires to take. A recent Red Court presence has been established; while they are on-the-board allies (or at least non-enemies), this is a resource too rich for the RCVs to pass up if they can claim it - particularly since this source of human flesh is coming from areas the RCVs have more control over. They want to control both sides of the flow of flesh. So, they are attempting to undermine the WCVs to take it for themselves - but they are in the beginning stages of buildup, and are not ready for an open challenge yet.

Since my players are children, I'll be toning down the adult themes quite a bit; the people are being taken to work fields, instead of prostitution for instance, and the  "subtle politics" may not be so subtle in this case. But I had to insert some of my own ideas in here, at least for myself, whether or not my players actually get to see it.

There is also a scoruge of BCVs here, but they are small, weak, and are mostly acting as vultures feeding off the fringes; but, they have an idea of trying to take enough to make more vampires, and possibly grow themselves large enough to become a real presence of their own.

As for other organizations, there is a fairy presence, but not much of one; I probably won't play that up too much. There is also a ley line that's been partially corrupted by the Black Denarians, but there is a small source of hope fighting them off, etc.'

Actually, I'm real excited - my radio station said they researched all the "paranormal" spots of S.A. for their website for halloween, so now I have a single source of juicy info. I had already known of some of it, like the Donkey Lady Bridge (a fey lives there... maybe just make it a Troll, but...) but there are a few places I hadnt found in my searches, so I'm going to read it in a bit and see what I missed!

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »
COOL!!!!
Bad typists untie!!!!