Author Topic: Highway to Hell - A Cityless DFRPG/Core campaign  (Read 22956 times)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Highway to Hell - A Cityless DFRPG campaign
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
Autopsy

Unlike the previous session, where I had time to plan out a lot more NPCs and a more complex situation, this time I had the opening scenes and a general idea of what Pantagruel wanted to do with the Key, but that was it. Everything else flowed naturally (more or less) from there. I did manage to keep it within the planned time frame, which was a major improvement in my book.

It’s pretty obvious that the entire adventure ended up being a car chase, so I’ll tackle that in more detail first. I really liked the idea of using a zone map for relative positioning during a chase scene, and for the most part I think it worked out well. I’m not sure how much I liked the simplification where you moved 1 zone on any success and an additional zone if you rolled 3 over the difficulty. That could be fixed by having a series of intermediate zones or obstacle ratings, then you could simply use your Driving effort-as zones moved. I do know I liked the ability to move other participants, and that’s a key feature towards making this rules variant work. That part’s taken straight from Diaspora’s social combat, though, so I probably just need to locate their SRD and reread it a bit.

Another bugbear with the system occurs when you have A chasing B who is chasing C, like the Dallas Junior Brown chase (I can’t not write his full name). You can end up with a situation where Alice rolls against Bob but manages to end up in a zone more suited for tackling Charlie, effectively using Bob’s lower skill to bootstrap her way into an advantage. Another hiccup is that when Bob is “Trailing” Charlie, he’s automatically also trailing Alice.  Maybe a Venn diagram-style zone map would fix multiparty chases, I don’t know yet. I think the idea is sound, the maps just need some thought.

Shooting the car vs. shooting the driver: I ruled Kathryn’s attack on the helicopter pilot as a “RCV blood sack” situation. First, she has to be using a weapon that can penetrate the vehicle - no headshotting tank drivers with a rifle unless they’ve stuck their head out. Second, she needs to hit by 3 over the difficulty or have an appropriate Aspect to tag for effect, much like starting a grapple requires an Aspect placed first.

My car stats were basically just stress tracks (Armor:1, 3 stress boxes), but you could easily use the FATE Fractal to give them Aspects (“Supercharged”, “Last of the V8s”), Stunts/Powers (“Turbo Boost”), and Skills (“Maneuverability”, “Durability”, “Speed”). IMO car “skills” would work best as modifiers to the driver’s own skill. The stress tracks I kept low because it was fairly difficult to line up shots, so a successful shooting attempt should have significant impact.

I feel like I didn’t Compel enough, but everyone was hovering in the 0-3 FP range throughout the session and that feels right to me.  Low enough that you want more, but not so low that you hoard them and bring the FP economy to a halt. Except for Bill - Bill is a Pure Mortal with absolutely no stunts, so he starts each game with 10 FP.  Even he was down to 3 FP, though, mostly because of Pantagruel’s hellfire and maneuvering during the chases.

Combat-wise, there’s not much to write home about. There wasn’t a lot of straight-up combat, but the chase rolls were fairly tense as Dallas ‘Junior’ Brown had a Driving skill 2 ranks above the PCs. Clay’s player couldn’t make it, so it was a nice change of pace to have an action-oriented game that wasn’t explicitly about face-punching.

Big warm fuzzies when the players said they didn’t mind Pantagruel escaping; they said he was a good villain. We talked about that some, actually, since several of his Aspects were public knowledge at this point. Bill’s player reiterated how he was dangerous, yet he was simply the Denarian’s librarian, basically. We talked about other Denarians from the series, mostly contrasting Pantagruel against the truly hideous guys like Tessa and Nicodemus and comparing the “partnership” demons (although I refer to him as Pantagruel mostly, his relationship with Alex Abel for this game is intended to be a partnership) to the Magogs and Ursiels who completely subsume the human hosts. I think that Pantagruel works as a villain because 1) he IS a threat, 2) he is also a coward, and 3) his goals are never simply “kill the heroes”. My players get to unquestioningly beat him and ruin his plans yet because the true conflict is about something other than completely annihilating the other side, they’re okay with his escapes. That’s a lesson I learned from Burning Empires, which explicitly prevents objectives in combat scenes to be “I want to kill the other guys”.  That’s implicit in the term “combat”. The villain’s personality flaws and fears help keep the players feeling superior. When you feel superiority over a character, you’re more inclined to accept last-minute escapes and whatnot. If Pantagruel had made the PCs look like punks, there was no way the players would have accepted such a light Concession. They would have been out for blood.

Alex Abel’s Artifact Vault

I don’t have that many character writeups compared to last session, but several magical items were referenced or introduced. I’ll put the stats here and copy them to appropriate Resources threads after any necessary discussion and tweaks.

Pantagruel/Alex Abel

Aspects:
Denarian Loremaster
Starscream Syndrome
Cain and Abel, Together Again
Crowley-Lampkin CEO
Apocalypse Is a Frame of Mind
Older Than the Stars and Cockier Than a Thing That's Really Cocky
Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?
Skills:
Superb +5: Deceit, Lore
Great +4: Athletics, Conviction, Discipline, Empathy
Good +3: Resources, Contacts, Alertness, Endurance, Presence
Fair +2: Scholarship, Intimidation, Rapport, Guns, Stealth
Average +1: Driving, Weapons, Survival, Craftsmanship, Might
Stunts/Powers:
Superhuman Toughness    -4
Superhuman Recovery    -4
Wings    -1
Evocation    -3
Thaumaturgy    -3
Hellfire    -2
Inhuman Strength    -2
The Catch (Holy Stuff)    +2
Marked by Power    -1
Human Form (affecting Wings, Inhuman Strength, Supernatural Toughness)    +1
{b]Refresh: -17[/b]

I’ve already posted this in the Items of Power thread (and thanks for Vargo Teras, Sanctaphrax, and others for helping clarify some issues with it), but I’m reposting it here for completion’s sake:

BONNEY'S BANE [-2]
Description: The bullet that killed Billy the Kid.
Musts: None.
Skills Affected: None
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a bullet recovered from a corpse, just a misshapen lump of lead.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+1] One-Time Discount. Bonney's Bane is a tiny item and is easily concealed on one's person.
[-8] Physical Immunity: Those who hold Bonney's Bane are immune to gunfire.
[+5] The Catch: +2 only protects against specific thing, +2 for prevalence of non-firearm attacks, +1 for it not being common knowledge.

Upgrades:
[-3] You Ever Shoot a Man in the Back? This effectively upgrades the IoP to protect against all attacks except ambushes.  A typical Ambush situation or at the very least spotting the ambush but losing initiative should allow the attack to bypass the Immunity.

*NOTE: I ran this item with both suggested Catches; the “ambush” catch was subsumed by the “any non-firearm attack” catch. Kathryn ended up paying Refresh (yes, she dropped her Pure Mortal bonus too) to permanently acquire this item.

THE COVETOUS COMPASS
Description: A grimy, tarnished metal compass stained by centuries of use.
Effects: The Covetous Compass has no Refresh cost, as it can only be used once by any given person. To use the artifact, the wielder must spend a FP to invoke one of their Aspects. In essence, the Compass acts as a very specific, powerful implementation of invoking for effect. Because it requires a suitable Aspect, the Compass is limited to searching for things that are somehow important to the wielder. Upon activation, the Compass will point unerringly to the desired object, person, or place. It will point to its target until the wielder finds what they are looking for, at which point the Compass behaves like a normal compass. The Compass will always point to its current owner’s target, even if the Compass changes owners or is activated multiple times. If it is returned to a previous owner, it will point to that owner’s desire. If the wielder makes a truly impossible request, the GM should refund the FATE Point.

Carter’s the only one in the group who has used the Compass so far. It’s a powerful item but it’s inherently limited, much like how Supernatural’s Colt originally only had 13 bullets.

HOUDINI’S KEY
Description: A metal handcuff key.
Effects: Houdini’s Key allows the wielder to unlock anything. I don’t know how to price that power.

I might come to regret this item, but luckily, Carter didn’t have the Refresh to buy it (as if I could price it). We’re keeping it around as a plot device MacGuffin as well as a handy conduit for Burglary-related Declarations.

CUSTER’S CAVALRY SABER [-1]
Description: This 19th century cavalry sword is poorly kept, its blade pitted and stained as if the blood it has spilled has eaten into the metal.  It has killed innocent women and children, and the sword gives off a greasy, dark feeling to arcane senses.
Skills Affected: Weapons.
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a Weapon:2 cavalry saber.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It’s a sword. It’s only concealable if you’re into Civil War reenactment.
[-2] Army of One. Custer’s Saber grants a +1 to Weapons when the wielder is personally outnumbered in melee; that is, when more than 1 person attacks them in close combat in any given exchange. This bonus increases to +2 if three or more people are attacking the wielder, and increases to a maximum of +3 when four or more people engage the wielder.

Feel free to adjust the bonus tiers as you see fit, or change the conditions under which they apply. You may feel it appropriate for the saber to count enemies who are directly attacking the wielder, or expand the concept of “outnumbered” to include anyone who the wielder considers hostile in that scene. If you do, I highly recommend raising the number of enemies needed to increase the sword’s bonus.

Nobody has bought this item yet with Refresh. I would allow its use for a scene with a Declaration (since they do possess the sword), but if it gets abused I’ll insist someone pay for it.

RUBY SLIPPERS [-1]
Description: These sparkly red slippers adjust their size to fit anyone and are comfortable during long walks.
Skills Affected: None
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. They’re slippers, just like Dorothy wore.
[+1] One-Time Discount. The slippers, while rather gaudy, aren’t an obvious weapon.
[-2] Worldwalker. The Ruby Slippers grant the Worldwalker power to the wearer.

This one’s pretty simple, and was only mentioned off-hand in the prologue. Worldwalker can be pretty useful in the right campaign or in the right character’s hands, though, it’s just a matter of how embarrassing it is to go around in sparkly red slippers.

TRINITITE KNIFE [-3]
Description: A piece of greenish-hued desert glass, roughly fashioned into a short blade. Tape is wrapped around one end to make a workmanlike grip. It’s more a shiv than a knife, really. The glass is radioactive but is generally safe to handle.
Skills Affected: Weapons.
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It’s a Weapon:1 shiv knapped from the glass from the Trinity atomic test site.
[+1] One-Time Discount. The Trinitite Knife is easy to conceal, even through metal detectors.
[-4] If You Encounter God, God Will Be Cut. The radioactive glass that forms the blade is imbued with some sort of power. It’s not explicitly magical, it’s not powered by faith, but it is extremely potent against inhuman victims. Spend a FP and for the rest of the scene, the Knife ignores the target’s supernatural defensive abilities and powers (generally acting as the Catch for Toughness and Recovery powers). Mundane armor applies normally.

Upgrades:
[-1] It’s The Only Way to be Sure. The Knife no longer requires a FP to be spent in order to activate “If You Encounter God, God Will Be Cut”.

In my campaign, I’m toying with the idea of radioactivity having an effect on magic similar to what magic does to technology. The atom bomb is a significant thing, and to me nukes have always been the purview of humanity in genre fiction. Even the unfortunately-canceled HBO series Carnivale attributed great importance to the atomic bomb (if you read up on what they planned for future seasons), Trinity in particular.

Also, I love the Colt from Supernatural and I wanted something that could fill that role without being a complete ripoff.

For Next Time

It’s not even a question. The PCs go up against the Orks of Hazzard!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »
Sounds pretty excellent.

I have some vehicle combat rules that might interest you here.

The IoP list could use some more contributions.

If You Encounter God... is probably overpriced, though.

PS: Is Alex Abel an Unknown Armies reference?

Offline Harboe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 11:37:51 PM »
If You Encounter God... is probably overpriced, though.
It's All Creatures Are Equal Before God, except on a knife, so less discount.
The upgrade for it makes me drool, though :P

Thank you for posting this excellent AP for me to stea- get inspired from. :)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 12:06:48 AM »
ACAEBG ignores mundane armour and might only cost 3.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2012, 01:50:13 AM »
It's All Creatures Are Equal Before God, except on a knife, so less discount.

ACAEBG ignores mundane armour and might only cost 3.

Yeah, I didn't want to make it TOO cheap, but I also didn't go searching out any detailed breakdowns of how Swords of the Cross' powers are priced. The Swords are -5 when added to an existing suite of IoP (YS168). I figure "Holy" is -1, like Holy Touch. I was costing "True Aim" as -1 as well, as it's very Stunt-like (gain a +1 to attack under certain circumstances). That leaves Divine Purpose and ACAEBG. To me, Divine Purpose is a restriction, and I was figuring it added a +1 discount, which would have made ACAEBG a -4 power.

That's how I priced "If You Encounter God, God Will Be Cut". That said, Sanctaphrax's point is valid about it not penetrating mundane armor. Is that enough to knock the cost from -4 to -3? Maybe.  Is Divine Purpose really just more of an Aspect on the sword than a true Power? Maybe. Either way, I didn't want to underestimate the Trinitite Knife, but if ya'll are okay with it, I'd reduce it to -3 for the "post to IoP thread" version.

The IoP list could use some more contributions.

Absolutely.  I wanted to get any major quibbles out of the way here first, though.

PS: Is Alex Abel an Unknown Armies reference?

He totally is. He's not a straight copy, but the characters are aligned enough that when we were making Carter Mews, and he asked for an evil CEO name involved in magic thievery, my mind jumped to him first. And Carter's player loves Mark A. Sheppard whenever he shows up in anything.

I would've picked Dennis Haysbert in the absence of outside influences. He just seems so trustworthy!

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2012, 05:44:03 PM »
Turns out I had to fly to Texa$ to run my next session!

Session 8

Carter Mews, Scott Specter, and Josey Wales
Reward: Significant Milestone

THEN
Crowder, KY

Coal dust filled the cramped, dark mines. The drilling machine roared and crunched, making it hard for the grimy miners to see their coworker approaching from the shaft entrance. When they did notice the road flares the miner held in each hand, it was too late.

“Bob!” They yelled. “Bob! What the hell are you doing? The coal dust! You’ll touch it off!”

Bob Murray held each as-yet-unlit flare in outstretched arms. His soot-streaked face was beatific. “God spoke to me, brothers!” Bob shouted. “The Lord ordained this! Come with me and be saved!”

Bob ignited the flares and vanished in the ensuing explosion.

NOW
A Few Miles West of Crowder, KY
One Month Later

Scott, Carter, and Josey stood over the woman’s corpse while the cloudy sky blanketed the roadway with diffuse, humid, late-summer heat. Her possessions proclaimed her to be Rachel Lipsum, a geology grad student at Georgetown. Josey said her tracks came from the small mining town of Crowder, and she still had her car keys on her. Carter’s magic rings picked up a sort of residual magic from the unfortunate girl.

Me: “All right, everyone roll Investigation. Or... hell, even Scholarship. Okay, you can roll untrained, just roll the dice and tell me what you get.”
Carter: “Zero is our highest.”
Me: “Great! She was obviously killed by a ghost strangler.”
Scott: “Is that like a ghost pirate, where you don’t know if it’s a ghost of a pirate or a ghost that’s currently engaged in piracy?”

They took a closer look (spent Fate Points), and noticed that while Rachel’s picture on her ID was maybe a 6 or 7, she was definitely a 3 or less now. Her brows were too pronounced, her jaw too jutting, and her arms were... extended, somehow, more beast-like. It was enough for Scott to tempt fate (heh) and open his Sight.

The ex-con was immediately standing over two different corpses. One was Rachel as she appeared in her student ID, tragically dead but free of the subtle variations the group had noticed. The other corpse was something between man and ape, with bony protrusions along its skull and arms. Its hands were long, deadly claws, and its legs were knotted cords of muscle. Scott glanced up at Crowder and saw a conflagration of screaming hellfire roiling up from the town in the distance. He took it as a sign from God (and a Compel to investigate).

Secondhand Smoke

The three bikers wiped down the scene as best they could and cruised towards Crowder. The town lay nestled in a small valley under the shadow of a hillside coal mine - a coal mine that was quite clearly on fire. Thick coalsmoke blanketed Crowder and wafted skyward to mix with the increasingly gray clouds until everything was obscured by a sulfur-tinged miasma. Scott and Carter ran a quick smartphone check only to discover news reports claiming the “Bob Murray Fire” (coal seam fires are named after the people who find them) was extinguished just under a month ago, with related stories about this Bob fellow miraculously surviving the blaze that claimed the lives of several other miners. Someone - or something -  wanted this fire covered up.

The bikers slowed as they approached roadwork on the main road. A sheriff’s deputy and three indolent construction workers had the entire road blocked off and were waving the PCs down. Another Compel involuntarily forced open Scott’s Sight again as he accelerated to handle the talking, and he saw the deputy’s face twist into a horrible caricature, all spiny teeth and fangs. The construction workers’ faces changed as well, their bestial countenances in sharp contrast to their perceived laziness. Scott couldn’t handle the things - he certainly couldn’t talk to them - and it fell to Carter and Josey to suss out the situation while Scott gulped down some Maalox. The demon deputy had everyone detouring through Crowder because of the coal fire and roadwork. Not a problem - the PCs were planning on investigating the town anyway, but it was another clue. Clearly whatever was going on here involved getting people into the town itself.

Scott, Carter, and Josey took the exit ramp down into the soot-soaked fog and I asked for Discipline rolls as the demonic coalsmoke tried to take control of them as it had nearly everyone in Crowder. Scott had the highest Discipline of the group, so I placed the DC two higher than his - DC6. Josey spent Fate Points but only took mental stress, while Carter played ball. His Discipline wasn’t bad, but he failed by enough that the evil influence began mutating him. I wrote down “Echoes of the Beast” and “Claws” on an index card and handed it to Carter’s player, explaining that this was his Consequence. The coalsmoke worked like a Sponsor, and would offer any PC a FP in exchange for Debt if they wanted it. Every scene, the PCs would make another Discipline roll (well, Conviction for Scott) and any Consequences inflicted would be in the form of various bestial mutations, all covered up by the same Human Guise like the deputy and the construction workers. My intention here was to create a sense of impending dread, to create this “timer” of sorts to get the PCs focused on what was causing the evil. It also worked as a way to keep them in town, since they put two and two together and guessed that poor Rachel died when she got too far away from the coalsmoke’s influence. As it turned out, I didn’t need the extra push - the group was already laser-focused on finding the root of Crowder’s problems and slaying the shit out of it. Furthermore, they were willing to accept Compels elsewhere to ensure they had enough FP to stave off any mutation rolls. With that sorted, the gang quickly decided that the coal mine was the best place to start. They’d need equipment, though, so first they headed to a Tractor Supply in sleepy downtown Crowder.

Set Your Ruger Blackhawk to Stun

They couldn’t be sure, what with the thick smoke everywhere, but there was definitely a sense of isolation to Crowder. Did most of the people simply evacuate when the coal fire started? Were they eaten? Were they lying in ambush? There weren’t any answers at the Tractor Supply, although there was rope and headlamps and respirators. There wasn’t anyone working the counter that they could see either, so why pay for anything? God, I love Carter’s “Why Buy When You Can Steal?” Aspect, and Josey had “Aimin’ to Misbehave” to boot. So when the lone employee sauntered back to the door from wherever he had been, he saw three bikers looting his store. Unfortunately for him, Josey was faster. The drifter slammed the butt of his Ruger Blackhawk into the old guy’s face and dropped him. Scott confirmed the old man was possessed by the evil presence too - smoke curled up from the unconscious man’s nostrils, ears, and mouth, like he was smoldering on the inside - so they tied him up and meandered their way up the switchbacks to the coal mine.

I Used to Be a Smoker Demon, Then I Took an Arrow in the Knee

The drive to the mine was eerie. The coal seam fire had cooked the trees and grass from below, and the gang motored past toppled trunks, brown patches of sickly grass, and plumes of noxious gas rising up from the apocalyptic hillside. They abandoned their motorcycles about halfway up the mountain and went in on foot. Carter and Josey were both sneaky types and helped Scott keep quiet with maneuvers. They crested the ridge to the coal mine to find a smattering of administrative trailers, piles of slag, huge dump trucks, and unrecognizable mining equipment around the gaping mine entrance. The smoke was thicker up here and I started upping the DCs for the coalsmoke Dicipline rolls (to little effect).

Carter and Josey saw about a dozen miners and townsfolk setting up three big fire pits in the gravel outside the mine. Scott, as always, confirmed that these people were possessed just like everyone else they’d met so far. Almost half of them were twisted beast-forms, a few were hulking, muscled brutes, and a couple trailed thick smoke as they breathed. Hunters, Tanks, and Smokers, to use Left 4 Dead terminology (although they definitely were not undead). As they watched, two tank-demons entered one of the trailers and brought out two weakly struggling female grad students - probably Rachel’s fellow researchers, sent to gather data on the coal fire. The tank-demons walked them bodily into the cave entrance and were soon lost in the thick, dark smoke.

Carter focused on the fire pits, trying to discern their possible purpose, and he invoked “Family Jewels” to do it. This represented one of his magic items, a ring that stored various memories from Carter’s ancestors. He’d often tap it for sudden knowledge on how to shoot things or to boost Lore rolls or anything, really. Right now, his magic ring flashed back farther than Carter had ever been before, and it gave the players an idea of what they were up against. Carter was sitting in a cave with a small group of... cavemen? Crude paintings marked the cave walls, and shamans wearing animal headdresses danced in the firelight. They twirled and sang, celebrating the mock hunt that brought food and the fire’s light that drove back the darkness. Carter snapped back and saw that the firepits the demons were building were similar to his vision. They were up against some sort of animistic Ice Age demon that had been trapped in the mountain since paleolithic times.

Just then, their planning was interrupted by three demons in a pickup making their way up the switchbacks. The demons didn’t spot the bikers, but they did spot their motorcycles. The PCs rushed downhill and set up an ambush just as the lead demon (a Smoker) pulled out his cellphone to report the intrusion.

Josey Wales didn’t just carry around matched Ruger Blackhawks. He had a crossbow as well, something Josey’s player had blatantly ripped off from Darryl Motherfucking Dixon on the Walking Dead. The crossbow bolt slammed into the smoker’s knee, sending it to the dusty ground, the phone skittering from its grasp. Carter popped the Tank with his taser as the coal miner got out of the truck, but the demon suddenly (and very visibly) grew a foot taller and wider, ripping out of its shirt even as the electricity coursed through its body. Scott landed a few blows on the Tank and luckily his Holy Touch left gaping ectoplasmic wounds in the demon’s added mass. Josey pinned the Smoker to the truck fender with another bolt before the Hunter jumped him. It was a relatively quiet scuffle; nobody was firing guns and the demons at the coal mine kept blowing their Alertness rolls. Carter kept tagging the “Tased” aspects he was placing to keep one step ahead of the Tank, even as the big brute swung the truck’s driver door at Carter like a giant cleaver again and again. The taser finally worked, and the Tank dropped. Josey fended off the Hunter, and the Smoker ate it soon after. They tied up the mauled demons and rolled their possessed asses down the hill. Scott took the Smoker’s phone, noting that the thing was trying to call this Bob Murray fellow. They had a name and an address for the guy, but they were at the mine now. Bob could wait.

Fire Extinguishers Ain’t Gonna Cut It

As the group returned to their vantage point, the two grad students (now fully controlled by the paleolithic evil) exited the mine to a chorus of howls and joyous screams from the assembled demons. Carter noted it wasn’t just random howls, it was a chant. A name, from before things had names. To top it off, Carter made a connection between Eastern Kentucky Mining Corp and his nemesis, Crowley-Lampkin. Was this “Howl” entity part of Pantagruel’s plans? Was it an unfortunate side effect of Alex Abel’s search for items of power? Was it just accidentally released by some unlucky coal miners? The gang intended to enter the cave and find out.

After another (generally futile) coalsmoke roll, the PCs decided to sneak past the demons. They approached it like their recon of the mine, with Carter and Josey creating taggable aspects for Scott to use, then sneaking in on their own, trusting their high Stealth skills. Once inside, they donned their respirators to help mitigate Howl’s strengthening influence. They found enough dynamite to collapse the mine, too (an excellent Declaration on Josey’s part), but unfortunately none of them had the expertise required to guarantee the mine fire would be extinguished by collapsing this particular shaft. There could be other air pockets and sources of oxygen that would keep the coal seam burning and make dealing with it even harder since the main shaft would be collapsed. They couldn’t stop the evil by destroying the mine, at least not with the data they had. But there was a research team in Crowder studying the mine fire for a month now - surely they’d have data Josey could use to plant the explosives correctly. Going further into the mine wasn’t a good idea, either. The smoke was too thick and the heat quickly became too dangerous. They’d have to go out, raid the demons at the mine entrance, and hope they could capture and exorcise one of the grad students or somehow get their hands on the team’s data.

The First Annual Crowder Van Rodeo

Apparently, the Georgetown research team had come in a barely-functional campus van, and now that all the grad students were under Howl’s control, they didn’t need to remain imprisoned at the mine anymore. This was a Compel on Scott’s “By the Skin of My Teeth” Aspect - the data and grad students were in the van, but that van was pulling out right now! There was no time for stealth! The PCs sprang into action, with Carter and Josey sprinting after the van and Scott firing his .45 at the newly-possessed driver. He shot her in the shoulder, and demonic possession or not, you can’t steer a van if your arm doesn’t work. That grad student was Taken Out and slid to the floor of the van in shock.

Carter dodged a Hunter and leapt onto the back of the out-of-control van. Josey managed to keep pace long enough to shoot the second grad student in the face, then another Hunter tackled him from behind while a Tank bore down on him. A third Hunter started up one of the immense dump trucks, intending to give chase, while the two Smokers split up. One went for the foreman’s trailer to call for help, while the second coughed up a stream of firey slag and spewed the burning flux at Scott!

Carter made it to the top of the van just as a Hunter jumped onto the rear doors. Thinking quickly, Carter tasered the Hunter in the face but his weapon was pulled from his hand as the demon toppled off the vehicle, flailing in agony.

Then the van went down the hill. It slammed through dry, dying brush and bounced over the switchbacks as it took the short way down the mountain. Carter managed to squirm inside and steer the big vehicle through the worst of it. Back up at the mine, Scott closed on the Smoker and shoved him into the fire pits they had been stoking. Josey put down both a Hunter and the Tank with measured headshots before the giant dump truck rolled over him!

No, it literally rolled over him. Those big dump trucks aren’t that great at sneaking up on pedestrians. Plus, the sluggish acceleration gave Scott time to sprint up a slag pile and leap onto the side ladder! Josey tried to follow, but the Smoker in the foreman’s office was taking aim with a bolt-action rifle. Josey took cover behind a self-propelled drill and blew the Smoker’s head off. Then he got on the drill and steered it towards the dump truck.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »
Hell Comes to the Piggly Wiggly

All three vehicles were now in a half-controlled breakneck descent down a slope far too steep for comfort. Scott and the Hunter were trading Holy Touch punches and razor claws in the dump truck’s cab, Josey could barely get the drill angled correctly, and Carter literally jumped the van off one of the switchbacks, right over the demons that went down the mountain to find their missing coworkers. They piled into the abandoned, doorless pickup and peeled out after Carter.

Josey finally got the drill on target and slammed it into the dump truck, the linear drill making short work of the massive truck’s tires. Josey leapt clear as the drill and truck got mangled up together. Scott followed soon after, leaving a battered Hunter on the highway to hell.

Carter’s van was riding on rims now, and he had a pickup truck full of demons bearing down on him. He tried a few times to sideswipe the pickup off the hillside, but it wasn’t in the cards. Then he saw the massive dump truck barreling pellmell down the hill. Carter changed tactics, luring the demons into the dump truck’s path with a Deceit Maneuver, “‘I Have You Now”.

The demons didn’t see the truck come out of the coalsmoke until it was too late. The wounded dump truck T-boned the pickup like a freight train, sending the entire twisted metal mess down the mountain where it hammered a gas station and exploded.

Fire In the Hole

The gang babied the van back up to the mine and ransacked the Georgetown team’s research notes for anything that could help them stop the coal seam fire without causing more damage. Carter hit the mine offices too, arranging things so Crowley-Lampkin would be implicated in the coal mine fire’s coverup.

Now that Josey knew where to plant the dynamite, collapsing the mine and snuffing the blaze wasn’t a problem. Scott and Carter called in the Kentucky Division of Mine Reclamation and Enforcement, then the trio of bikers mounted up and headed into town to find Bob Murray.

I Would Have Gotten Away With It Too If It Weren’t For You Meddling Motherfu-

A brief note on metaphysics: Howl wanted the coal mine fire, but the entity wasn’t necessarily the fire itself or even inside the coal mine fire. As you’ll see soon enough, Howl wasn’t even at the mine. Howl needed the fire and caves and the toxic smoke and the town depopulated and the citizens twisted into beasts in order to create a stronger sympathetic link between its realm in the NeverNever and Earth. As the fire spread, so did Howl’s influence. Collapsing the mine exponentially decreased Howl’s influence on Crowder, cut him off from the spirit world, and gave the PCs a chance to truly destroy the Neanderthal demon.

You’re Just a Thursday For Us

Bob Murray lived in an old farmhouse a little ways out from Crowder. Like the mine, Carter and Josey decided to leave their bikes and sneak up on the house, using the outbuildings and various vehicles for cover. Scott provided a distraction Maneuver as he simply gunned his chopper’s engine and rolled up the driveway.

Josey failed his Stealth roll; I ruled that instead of being spotted, Josey only got as far as an old Caprice but had a good view of the front porch. Carter made it to the farmhouse’s kitchen windows in time to see a little old lady with an oxygen mask and a walker toddle into the kitchen to make some tea. The farmhouse’s interior was absolutely free from coalsmoke, probably due to the threshold the family home possessed. Still, something had been invited inside; a fossilized Neanderthal skull (presumably Howl itself) sat prominently displayed on a bookshelf. Bob Murray stomped downstairs next, shotgun in hand, and grabbed the skull off the shelf before heading outside to confront Scott.

“Bobby, ask if your friends want to stay awhile and listen!” his (presumably) mother wheezed after him. “Nobody ever listens,” she muttered as the screen door banged shut.

Josey and Carter let Scott try first, since he was “Driven By Redemption”. Maybe he figured he could talk Bob into giving up the skull, as if it were similar to a denarius. Bob wasn’t here to argue with the fellas what done in his boys, he was there to Compel them to join his new demonic cult or kill them, but Scott did rattle him with self-doubt (the beautiful Raul Julia-inspired line “You’re just a thursday for us”)  long enough for Josey to blow the pinky off the hand holding the skull. Bob let the shotgun drop and snatched up the skull with his good hand. These bikers had him dead to rights. He couldn’t just charge them, even with the skull’s power. Bob spun and darted back into his house, using Inhuman Speed to tear through the living room and explode out the back window. He crashed through the doors to his toolshed and the gang heard an ATV roar to life. It maybe wasn’t the best tactical decision, but Speed powers or not, Bob wasn’t going to outrun a chopper on foot. He figured he could take the ATV off-road to lose the bikes, ditch it in the woods, and circle back on the PCs, stalking them one by one. First, however, he had to get out of there. Scott roared towards the toolshed while Carter and Josey took cover at the corner of the house. Bob’s ATV tore the shed doors to flinders and Bob dropped his Human Guise, revealing a monstrosity I could only describe as “a Neanderthal Satan riding an ATV, demon skull held aloft like an Olympic torch.”

Josey: “Just like a Dio album cover.”

Sweet Titties, It’s Diorblo!

Despite an impressive Intimidation roll to scatter the PCs, Bob didn’t get very far on his lawnmower-engined-chariot. Josey and Scott shot him full of holes, then Scott leapt from his bike onto the ATV! He yanked Bob clean off the machine, which went careening off Bob’s mother’s Caprice in classic A-Team fashion to land messily in the farmhouse’s living room.

Bob’s mom: “Fiddlesticks! Not the ATV again...”

Howl’s skull rolled to a stop directly between Scott and Bob, who were both still groggy from the tumble off the ATV. Carter snapped open his baton, Josey took aim with his .44, and Bob completely blew the most important initiative roll in his entire life. Josey shot Bob in the knee before he could reach the skull (again with the knees), slowing him down for Scott. Scott wasn’t going for the skull - he left the skull to Carter while he went for Bob. Carter sprinted in, kicked the skull away from Bob’s outstretched fingers, then shattered it with a mighty blow from his baton. Sunlight broke through the clouds of smoke as Scott tagged everything he could, then punched Bob’s demonic face off with a Holy Touch haymaker. The trio felt Howl’s insidious psychic tendrils wither and fade. The prehistoric demon was destroyed. The coal fire could be quelled permanently by the authorities. The mutations that afflicted the surviving townsfolk (and Carter) evaporated into harmless ectoplasmic mist.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2012, 05:46:50 PM »
After The Catch

I know, there weren’t any Orks of Hazzard this time. This session was an odd duck. Carter and Scott’s players and I were in Austin visiting a college friend (Josey’s player), so I knew I wouldn’t have Bill or Clay around. I wanted to spotlight chances for stealth and burglary, an enemy with a definite unholy vibe, and potential battles of wills. I needed something different, so of course I started ripping off random things until they fit together. The coalsmoke was probably mostly inspired by the Silent Hill movie’s visuals (if nothing else). I’m on book three of Mistborn, too, so that matched up nicely. The location was of course inspired by the show Justified. I made the bad guys demons mostly so Scott could have a great big spotlight this session, but their specific variants were definitely ripped off from Left 4 Dead zombie types. Bob Murray’s name came from the first two talking skulls that came to mind - Bob the Skull (of course) and Murray from the Monkey Island games.

I wanted the PCs to be imperiled personally, but not to have the possession really threaten them immediately. I thought it was a bit like the setup for Escape From New York, but in play the various Discipline rolls just weren’t threatening enough. The players’ willingness to spend FP to stave off the possession told me that for the most part, that plotline didn’t resonate with them. I think what I should have done was let them know the smoke was bad, then Compel them to save Crowder while trying to keep from breathing the coalsmoke. Ransack fire stations for SCBA tanks, that sort of thing. Worry about demons ripping their face masks or running out of clean air. That would’ve worked better, in retrospect.

It also wasn’t too much of a mystery as to what was going on. The coal fire seems to be possessing people? Let’s go to the coal mine and try to stop it. I had to switch gears and make the coal mine an important part of the problem but not the exact focal point for the evil plaguing Crowder. I did have some NPCs fleshed out that weren’t completely possessed yet, but those encounters fell by the wayside due to the players’ focus on the coal mine. I thought the lead-in and encounters at the mine worked fairly well, although at the table, at the time, it was a little more jumbled than my writeup indicated. There was a lot of back and forth with different plans, whether to bluff their way in as mine inspectors, try to use Carter’s mutations to blend in, just blitzkrieg the place, etc. Otherwise, it was a smooth infiltration and a snappy combat.

I waffled when it came to Bob Murray, unfortunately. I had actually planned on him being just a normal guy. A manipulated, possessed cult leader, but a normal guy nonetheless. He was going to take the skull and run for it, and probably last all of three seconds. But then the players blew through the mine demons so deftly that I thought maybe I should beef Bob up and make him a true Big Bad. Problem was, time was running short at that point, so I ended up going middle of the road, and when you take the middle of the road, you get run over. I gave him powers (but not enough) and he still tried to run (but not effectively). The end result was this crazy A-Team mishmash that, while fun, didn’t feel quite right to me.

To sum up, we all had fun, I think the session was successful, but it never reached that level of personal peril that I wanted to portray. Next time we’ll all be back in PA and it’ll definitely be Orks of Hazzard.

Hunter

Aspects:
Hunter Demon
Was Once a Man
Red of Tooth and Claw
Skills:
Great +4: Fists, Stealth
Good +3: Alertness, Athletics
Fair +2: Survival, Intimidation
Average +1: Endurance, Might
Baseline Powers:
Echoes of the Beast -1
Claws -1
Additional Powers
Cloak of Shadows -1
Spider Walk -1
Recovery -2
Speed -2
Human Guise +0
Refresh: -2 or more

Smoker

Aspects:
Smoker Demon
Was Once a Man
High Priest of Howl
Skills:
Good +3: Alertness, Athletics, Weapons
Fair +2: Stealth, Guns, Presence
Average +1: Endurance, Discipline, Craftsmanship, Empathy, Lore
Baseline Powers:
Addictive Saliva -1
Recovery -2
Breath Weapon -2
Additional Powers
Super Sense: can tell positioning and movement of things enveloped by coalsmoke -1
Recovery -2
Gaseous Form -3
Human Guise +0
Refresh: -4 or more

Tank

Aspects:
Tank Demon
Was Once a Man
Unstoppable Juggernaut
Skills:
Great +4: Fists, Might
Good +3: Endurance, Intimidation
Fair +2: Athletics, Weapons
Average +1: Alertness, Presence
Baseline Powers:
Strength -2
Toughness -2
Recovery -2
Additional Powers
Strength -2
Recovery -2
Hulking Size -2 (must have a Supernatural-level physical ability)
Human Guise +0
Refresh: -4 or more
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 02:23:51 AM by admiralducksauce »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2012, 11:18:27 PM »
Why would they want to resist the smoke? It's free Powers!

That aside, sounds like a good session.

How do the "Additional Powers" of the demons work?

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 02:23:25 AM »
Why would they want to resist the smoke? It's free Powers!

That aside, sounds like a good session.

How do the "Additional Powers" of the demons work?

I think it's an instinctual reaction to free stuff handed out by a known evil power.  :)  I know why Scott's player resisted; after all, he was probably worried about losing access to his Holy powers under the demonic influence (and I totally would have played those Compels hard, too), but he also had the skills to back up his defiance. I think Josey's player mostly wasn't cool with having that much alteration done to "his guy" all of a sudden. Carter's player was okay with it, but I think by that point he was following the other guys' lead and resisting, even if cost him FP.

The "Additional Powers" listed for each demonform were just options I picked out ahead of time to boost individual enemies from "mook" to "miniboss" on the fly, or to represent a more fully possessed and mutated demon. So every Hunter has Claws and Echoes of the Beast, but some might also have Spider Walk, or Cloak of Shadows, or Inhuman Speed, etc. You could totally mix and match too - I never ended up doing that, I didn't feel the need to during play, but that was one of my earlier ideas. A Tank that breathed burning coal slag at you before charging, or a Hunter that went more bear than wolf, all muscle and claws and toughness.

One other thing I forgot to note: I found it interesting that there wasn't any moral dilemmas this session, despite the players knowing that the townsfolk were 1) possessed and 2) the PCs were ALSO possessed, thereby indicating that some townsfolk might still be able to be saved. The three of them kind of fell into a "knock them out if we can, but don't get all weepy over some casualties" mode that surprised me, given the discussions the group had during the Kansas City game with the Red Court. Maybe that was just the mix of players this time, having Josey instead of Bill and Clay (because I bet Bill's player would have brought it up, no matter what Bill the character might decide is best).

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2012, 03:21:25 AM »
Session 9

Carter Mews, Bill Stockburn, Kathryn Bryant, and Lucy Collins
Reward: Minor Milestone

NOW
On the Road
Near Devil’s Fork State Park, South Carolina

A hunter’s moon lit the lonely forested road as the four bikers wound their way through the South Carolina wilderness. Bill, Kathryn, and Carter were traveling towards some rumors of hidebehinds in West Virginia and had met up with Lucy Collins, formerly of Kansas City. As part of her character creation, we had retconned Lucy into the “Velma” role in the Kansas City Vampire Soup Kitchen fiasco. She was a witch of no small power and was convinced her parents had conceived her to be the Antichrist. It was a plot hook I could work into what was already going on with Pantagruel, Bill’s (and now also Carter’s) Denarian nemesis, but at the moment there were more pressing matters than Lucy’s ancestry.

Bill, Carter, and Kathryn (thanks to Compels) didn’t see the barbed wire strung across the road. All three of them shredded their tires and went down while Lucy managed to stop in time. There wasn’t much time to inspect the damage, though - they heard rustling from the brush on both sides of the road!

Wrong Turn

Kathryn and Bill headed off the road to investigate the noises. Lucy drew blood from her hand, preparing to fuel a spell if necessary (a Lore maneuver). Finally, Carter started tossing road flares, angling them to create a web of light and shadow he could use to get off the road and remain unseen while still getting a glimpse of the gang’s mysterious assailants (he also rolled for a maneuver). Bill and Kathryn spotted a small group of bestial greenish humanoids lurking in the brush, dressed in filthy overalls and flannel and brandishing bows, axes, and clubs. One of them was aiming its bow at Lucy’s bike (as it was the only one still running). Stealth rolls were failed and initiative was rolled. The orks fell upon Kathryn and Bill - one tried to grab Kathryn but her cursed stunt that let her defend with Guns proved more than a match for the ork’s kidnapping attempt. Bill’s dice were on fire and he deftly avoided his assailants as well. The ork bowman loosed his arrow. Lucy felt the solid thunk as the arrow pierced her bike’s gas tank. That was more than enough to send her into a foul-mouthed tirade, but when she saw the quarter-stick of dynamite tied to the shaft, she shut up and dove for cover. Lucy’s bike exploded, the orange fireball highlighting four more orks on the other side of the road who were waiting for the explosion before they moved in. Carter used his maneuver to boost a Stealth roll and he flanked these newcomers. Meanwhile, Lucy slammed the bowman with a lightning bolt, nearly taking him out with one shot even through the ork’s Inhuman Toughness.

This was only the group’s second or third real encounter with evocation and they were duly impressed. Bill and Kathryn were no slouches, however, and each managed to wedge gun barrels under ork chins and geyser brains into the night sky. The remaining ork still fighting Bill lucked out after that; he hit the old man by six or something insane like that. Bill figured they weren’t gonna kill him outright - they wanted to grab him and Kathryn for a reason, and his dubious “plan” involved getting taken back to the ork lair. Bill let me Taken (heh) him Out - the ork chopped Bill’s gun from his hands, clubbed him unconscious, and hoisted his wrinkly ass over one shoulder. Prisoner in tow and with several of their kin dead in seconds, the orks turned to flee.

Lucy would have none of it. She flat-out vaporized the bowman with a white-hot stream of fire before he could run for cover. Carter ambushed the slowest ork from the other group as they, too, scampered back into the woods. Cooter the ork, in what would become his defining characteristic for the night, rolled negative number after negative number and quickly ended up tased.

The gang’s inventory:
-4 bikes
-1 Bill
+1 ork named Cooter

Cooter didn’t have a chance. Lucy intimidates like Clay punches, and the ork’s luck dropped below “Wile E. Coyote” and into “Star Trek Redshirt” territory. Cooter readily agreed to lead Carter, Kathryn, and Lucy to his kin (and Bill, they hoped) in exchange for his life. By taking an ork captive in the first encounter and subsequently Taking him Out mentally, thus gaining his cooperation, the party bypassed a potential series of harrying skirmishes, wilderness adventure, and booby traps. That was okay by me - Bill had pretty much done the same thing except HE was the one captured.

If You Kill Me You Won’t Find the Treasure

Bill came to amidst the smell of wood smoke, salt, motor oil, and a range of meat-stench from “freshly butchered” to “rancid”. He was in the orks’ smokehouse, his hands tied to a meathook, dangling with a dozen other carcasses including deer, boar, and human.

“He’s awake!” cried a skinny little goblin from behind Bill. The gobbo scampered up out of the smokehouse only to be replaced by a massive seven-foot tall ork. The bearded beast hunched into the outbuilding and squatted down in front of Bill. He took a swig from a dark bottle, took off his red trucker’s hat, and ran a meaty hand through bristly hair so pallid it was almost white.

“Enos, git yer writin’ bitz,” the large ork stated. More scampering from behind Bill, then the rustling of paper on a police-issue clipboard. With the “stenografur” ready, Uncle Jesse began interrogating Bill. Bill pretty much kept to the truth: He was a monster hunter, and now his friends were gonna kill Jesse and his kin for what they were doing to people. Uncle Jesse alluded to humans trespassing on their rightful land and let slip a long-standing feud with the elves living in the Enchanted Forest trailer park to the north. Bill perked up at this; he started angling to maybe offer to take on the elves, but he wasn’t the most sociable of characters and couldn’t talk his out of his predicament. Jesse told him “We’ll talk latur, after Coy n’ Vance work yer over fer whut you did ta our kin.” And that’s how Bill ended up with the Moderate consequence “Tenderized” while the rest of the party was on their nature hike.

The Hills Have Orks

True to his word, Cooter led Lucy, Kathryn, and Carter through the early morning darkness towards the ork lair. Dawn was breaking as they arrived at a clearing filled with rusting car wrecks spanning decades - all previously owned by the orks’ victims. A ramshackle farmhouse slouched at the far end of the clearing, surrounded by wood-and-tin outbuildings. Carter Cased the Joint and rolled off the ladder - with a 9, I decided he could name three Aspects, and he chose “Precarious Junkpiles”, “Architectural Failure”, and “Rabbit Warrens”.

Their recon complete, Carter and Kathryn flanked opposite ends of the junkyard, searching for Bill. Once her comrades were safely concealed, Lucy simply walked into the clearing with Cooter as a human shield, called out the orks, and the orks answered! A dozen of the creatures emerged from the farmhouse, the garage, from the backyard, and from the smokehouse (at this point Kathryn and Carter noted this pair’s bloodstained knuckles and the glimmer of motion from within the smokehouse, correctly deducing Bill was still alive and inside). Most of them brandished rough melee weapons, while some preferred bows and others still wore tattered deputy hats and held shotguns. One of these even had a sherriff’s star and rode atop some sort of mutant dire boar. Finally, a brute of an ork, easily nine feet tall and dressed in a haphazard homespun version of a gentleman’s suit, stomped out the front door of the farmhouse. If nothing else, it would have been obvious this ork was the leader due to his fancy gold pocketwatch and dandy white hat.

“So dere yer are,” Boss Hogg spat. “You gotta lotta nerv walkin’ in heah by yerrsef. We gonna kill, eat, an’ rape ya - okay, maybe not in dat orda. We ain’t anamulz, heh heh. Not like dem sumbitch elves.”

Lucy wasn’t impressed, but then it was her schtick to hate everyone and be the most sarcastic, jaded bitch in the room. “Ask your dead friends about my nerves - oh wait, you can’t, I fucking vaporized them because I am a witch. The realms of wind and spirits are mine to command, pigsy. I propose a trade: You let my guy go, I let Cooter here go, and we all just walk away.”

Lucy rolled a 5 on her Intimidate check. Boss Hogg rolled a 4, but then spent a FP, invoking “Hog Boss” (it was late, all right?) and boosting his result to a 6. I asked Lucy’s player if he wanted to spend a FP as well (he had a ton of aspects he could have invoked for this), but it was his last FP and he was going to hang onto it.

“No deal,” Hogg growled. “Go git her, boyz!”

’Bout This Time, the Ork Boyz Figgered They Was In a Speck of Trouble

Lucy’s sponsor (the literal Dark Powers) spoke up at this point. They wanted her to take out the farmhouse. They said it would break the orks’ morale. They didn’t tell Lucy that Daisy, the ork matriarch, and some half-dozen ork children were waiting inside, protected by Uncle Jesse, and that this was my little deconstruction of the stereotypical “do you kill the orc babies too?” arguments that pop up here and there on the internet. Lucy had her own plans, however, and refused the Compel. Instead, Lucy did some evothaum and summoned a junkyard golem. This creaking, rusty monstrosity tore into the front rank of hard-charging orks. The greenskins gave it a good fight, but the primary purpose was to provide a distraction so Carter and Kathryn could rescue Bill. Coy and Vance peppered the machine with dynamite-tipped arrows while Roscoe and Flash the dire boar ripped into the thing with tusks and pickaxes. A bunch of orks ran for the garage, figuring they could ram the thing to bits with their vehicles. Lucy watched her construct explode as the dynamite detonated (killing Flash in the resulting blast), then lit Coy’s remaining dynamite on fire.

The garage burst open! First, a battered old tow truck fishtailed into the junkyard and headed for Lucy. The orange 1969 Charger that followed was in pristine condition, its big block engine tuned to a powerful roar, its custom horn blaring “Dixie” across the battlefield. Bo and Luuk Ork let out a hearty “Yeeehaawwww!” as they too drove their General Lee straight at Lucy!

At the same time, Carter and Kathryn freed Bill and the trio of hunters came out of the smokehouse shooting. Kathryn gunned Vance down over a few very hairy rounds, as the big brute came at her again and again with a club. Bill put down Cletus and Roscoe, while Carter took Coltrane with a clean headshot. Boss Hogg clambered onto the rear of the two truck and was grinning madly, relishing the idea of running down this puny hoomie who was killin’ his boyz.

Lucy called upon the land of wind and spirits, taking control of the General Lee’s wheel and putting a Block on Bo and Luuk’s attempt to run her over. Luuk fired a dynamite arrow but it hit Cooter, shredding his left arm, shoulder, and face. Cooter howled in misery and Lucy was thrown backwards. She gritted her teeth and burned FP, steering the General Lee just long enough to slam it into the tow truck. She tagged the aspects Carter had placed at the start of the conflict, and Boss Hogg was pinned to the ground, pierced by rusty steel and broken glass. Enos and his two truck managed to peel out, leaving his leader behind. Then Lucy got nasty. She was running low on mental stress, but she lasted long enough to send the Charger careening into piles of junk again and again, treating the orks inside like they were in Death Proof, finally ejecting them violently through their windshield. Bo was hurt bad, but Luuk managed to roll well enough to avoid the broken glass and metal debris that had severely wounded his brother.

“Boss!” Luuk shouted. “Dese hoomies got us on da ropez! Call fer da Hunt!”

Boss Hogg’s blood frothed on his giant maw. “I ain’t doin’ it. We can take ‘em. Ain’t callin’ no got-damned elves fer help.”

Kathryn sprayed the orange Charger with bullets, causing both orks to flinch.

“Got-damned sumbitch elves,” Hogg growled. He raised an old Civil War bugle to his lips and blew. The sound that issued forth was an ancient thing, welling up from the earth. What happened next did not involve elves.

Two Dollars

Hooves thundered across the clearing and I offered Carter’s player a FP as a mob of angry ghost centaurs charged out of the forest. They were coming straight for Carter, vengeful grimaces on their faces. One of them had even acquired a luchador mask and Ultimate Warrior arm tassles from somewhere. They were here because Carter had taken the coins they needed for passage across the Styx, waaaay, way back when the gang traveled into the NeverNever. Carter’s day of reckoning was finally here.

...And Carter’s player bought off the Compel. The thief frantically fished around in his pockets before finally throwing out a handful of gold coins to the angry centaurs. There was a brief pause, followed by a gunshot as Bill capped Boss Hogg while he struggled underneath the junkpile. The bugle fell in limp fingers and the centaurs started gathering up the coins.

“He who hath called this Hunt is dead!” one centaur said. “And look! Brothers! Elysium awaits us at last!” The centaurs turned and rode off. The luchador pointed to Carter and muttered “This ain’t over, hombre,” but he, too, turned to follow his fellow spirits.

Loot, Then Burn

“Dat wuz... weird,” Bo coughed weakly before Kathryn machinegunned him and Luuk like they were Bonnie and Clyde. Luuk slumped dead onto the General Lee’s horn, sending repeating choruses of “Dixie” skyward.

Oh, and Bill shot Enos after Lucy wrecked the tow truck. I think that was everyone at that point, so the gang cautiously entered the farmhouse. The rickety building had been untouched by the hell that had scoured the ork encampment, and the hunters were nervous about any final surprises. They didn’t find any, just a tunnel in the basement where a few orks must have escaped. They found crude maps of the area denoting park ranger fire towers, areas for game, and an ever-changing border between ork land and elf land to the north. Carter found the orks’ stash of wallets, cellphones, jewelry, and other personal effects from previous victims. Meanwhile, Lucy checked out the still. A Lore check revealed that the contents of the various bottles faintly hummed with magical energy. Lucy decided to see if the ork moonshine would give her any obvious abilities.

What Lucy got was really drunk.

The gang looked through the orks’ garage and junkyard, and eventually dredged up enough tires and parts to get their bikes running again. Well, all except for Lucy, but she had her unsteady gaze fixed on the General Lee.

“I can fix this,” she slurred, accepting a Compel from the Dark Powers to fix her new car. The Charger started shifting and groaning as its fenders bent back into shape and bullet holes filled back in. Its Christine-like metamorphosis complete, the entire car painted itself black.

With his quick-thinking solution to the ghost centaurs, we’d determined that Carter never threw anything away, and in an inspired bit of continuity, Carter noticed the skull-headed gearshift he took from Bad Truck was gone, transported somehow to the shifter on Lucy’s black Charger. We mocked Lucy’s player about picking a car instead of a motorcycle when the idea behind the game was that everyone would be playing a monster-hunting biker, but in the end we relented because it wasn’t just any car, it was Bad Car. It channeled Christine and Death Proof and was made from an orky General Lee. Besides, Lucy’s player usually doesn’t show up that often, thus lessening the impact said car will have on future sessions. Plus, it’s a car built by a Compel from the Dark Powers. It’s practically my car. Muahaha.

And that is why, as the gang babied their bikes back onto the road, the ork blood spattering the ground trickled slowly up the Charger’s quarter panel and into its gas tank.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2012, 03:22:25 AM »
Yee Haw

My foremost thought after this session ended was “Man, I am going to finally have to learn the magic system.” It’s ironic - we’re 9 sessions into our campaign and I’ve only ever really used a few evocations here and there, backed by some minor rituals. I’ve been completely nerfing magic as it is - no refinements or focus items, just basic “pick the spell power with Conviction and roll Discipline”. Honestly, where my campaign is set power-level-wise, that doesn’t come off as too nerfed to me. In return I’m pretty sure I’m not being very strict with thaumaturgy difficulties. I’m going to have to pay attention to some of the older threads now, especially some of the reworkings of things like summoning.

I was really happy with how the session started. I wasn’t expecting ¾ of the group to accept the initial compel to crash their bikes, and I was able to legitimately take out Lucy’s bike as well. The orks were built with +4 in their primary attack, +3 Endurance (for 4 stress boxes), Athletics +2, and Inhuman Strength and Toughness. They were pretty threatening in melee combat for people whose names aren’t Kathryn, but they were still dropping fast enough to where I couldn’t really coordinate them with maneuvers. Too spread out, too many things going on. But that’s okay - they’re the bad guys. They’re supposed to be slaughtered.

There was no real mystery to this session. A basic-level Lore roll let the players know they were dealing with orks and that orks were somehow related to goblins, which in turn were a type of fairy, so yes, your steel buckshot, combat knives, and crowbars would work just fine on them. Knowing what they were dealing with wasn’t going to make the adventure all that much easier. Capturing an ork, however, and Taking it Out mentally so it would cooperate? Yeah, Cooter really provided a shortcut through a lot of what I thought the adventure was going to be about; Survival checks, tracking, stealth, quick, furious ambushes, and hunters hunted. The good thing about that was that it did cut down the session time. Any orks I had planned for wilderness ambushes, I just moved them to the main ork farm since the session shaped up to be a huge set-piece battle.

Again, despite the amount of orks, the threat seemed fairly light. I had a lot of enemies on the field, but only a few were going to be taking significant consequences. Everyone but Lucy ended the game with more FP than their refresh, and that’s the barometer I usually go by for “how hard was the adventure?” I think I was okay with that this time, unlike my desire to have dealt more damage to the PCs from the Crowder coal fire adventure. This session was a fun romp, the pop culture references were right there on the surface, and at the end of it I got to tie in a bunch of old plot threads and get inspired for a couple of ways the gang could go from here.

1. The orks themselves: I thought about it, and I think these orks work pretty well as Changelings rather than straight-up fae. They’re on our side of the NeverNever, for one. They’re using metal tools, weapons, and vehicles, but still take increased damage when injured by iron. That speaks to a Catch that’s maybe 1 point less effective - they won’t take damage from simple contact with iron, but injuries will still bypass their Toughness.
2. The elves I mentioned offhand: The Enchanted Forest Trailer Park is shamelessly ripped from Larry Correia’s Monster Hunter International books. The elves and orks in the area have this Hatfelf / McCork style war that’s been going on for a looong time. The elves are Changelings too, but where the orks were Dukes of Hazzard rolled up with your typical Wrong Turn / Hills Have Eyes mutants, I’m thinking the elves will be more meth lab white trash.
3. Lucy the Antichrist: Well, technically, she’s an Antichrist. Next time Lucy’s player can make it, I think I’d be remiss if I didn’t rip off season 2 of Supernatural and have an Antichrist Deathmatch. Pantagruel would court her to his side; hell, Crowley-Lampkin might have an Antichrist on the payroll. I’m going to retroactively say that the Hadji warlock from the Stackhouse adventure was some sort of similarly vague Antichrist too (mysterious sources of evocation, little regard for others), so maybe Project BLACKBOX will rear their ugly heads once more. Plus, since Lucy was tied into the Kansas City adventure in hindsight, Fred and the not-Scoobies might show up for a little vengeance against Bill.
4. Two words: Pastafarian Antichrist.
5. The Luchador Ghost Centaur: I’m still working on some sort of semi-coherent backstory for this guy. I’ve decided he was trained by the ghosts of the Hermanos Numeros (from Angel) and he might be a frenemy type should the party go up against the Mexican Vampire Cartels.
6. Scott vs. Lucy: I’m not betting on both these players showing up at the same time. I feel a little silly having so readily agreed to part of a character’s backstory that reads like it would really conflict with another. Like, if Scott were there this weekend I likely wouldn’t have agreed to Lucy’s Antichrist thing. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. We’ll figure something out, we’re all adults.
7. Bad Car: The motherfucking Bad Car is back, baby! I was so happy when all that came together at the end of the session. Bad Car: It is your friend when you are alone!
8. The Moonshine: It’s magic, sure, but Lucy was getting hammered during the daytime (and before noon, to boot). It’ll do something at night, but even I have no idea what yet.
9. The Wild Hunt: That was something I had planned for the “wilderness trek” portion of the game, but it fell through till the end, and then it was mostly too late. And Carter refused the compel anyway.

Finally, Lucy’s player revamped the following song. I only helped a little bit here and there. Lucy’s starting next game with a few more bonus FP for this.

Apologies to Waylon Jennings

Just some good Ork Boyz
Always meanin’ some harm
Beats all you ever saw
Abominations of the law
Since the day they wuz born

Linin’ the roads
Barbed wirin’ the hills
Someday the hunters might get ‘em
But the law never will

Orkin’ their way
The only way they know how
That’s just a little bit more
Than nature will allow

Just some good Ork Boyz
Booby trappin’ the woods
Eatin’ the hoomies
‘Cause that long pig sure does taste good
(WAAAAAAAGH!)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2012, 04:15:46 AM »
Heh.

Sounds like a fun session to me.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2012, 02:37:17 AM »
This session crept up on me by surprise. We were playing a FASERIP game and we finished with time to spare, so I got thrown under the gaming bus. I had no Fate dice (we used normal d6s and just did 1-2 minus / 3-4 blank / 5-6 plus), no Fate Point tokens (we ended up using .22 rounds), and only one returning player from last session (Bill’s player was there, but because of scheduling conflicts we swapped Lucy, Kathryn, and Carter for Scott and Clay). At least I had some ideas put together after last session’s comments about the orks being at war with some neighboring elves. I taxied the seat of my pants down the runway and prepared to take off.

Session 10: The Beverly Elfbillies

Bill Stockburn, Clayton Haycock James,  and Scott Specter
Reward: Significant Milestone (Because I had about half the group for this session and the last, everyone gets the Significant milestone)

NOW

On the Road Again
Near Devil’s Fork State Park, South Carolina

I didn’t spend much time trying to explain why Bill was the only common PC between this session and the last. He met up with Scott and Clay and they drove north, trying to find this elf community that the orks kept feuding with. It’s hard to find elves in the woods, but Bill knew (thanks to impressive Lore rolls and helping maneuvers from his friends) enough old tricks to navigate his way down disused gravel roads and overgrown trails to the Enchanted Forest Trailer Park.

Enchanté

The entrance to the park was a rough-hewn log archway wrapped in Christmas lights. The wooden sign proclaiming it to be the Enchanted Forest creaked slowly on old chains. The PCs entered slowly, rolling their bikes up to a skinny old man. I didn’t beat around the bush here; the gang was looking for elves and there was no other way to describe this guy. Pointed ears jutted out from a NASCAR cap, which aside from dirty overalls were the only clothes this old elf was wearing. At least half a dozen old hounds lounged around his perch on a rusted-out 1960s pickup that was in turn perched up on blocks. He plucked at a handmade banjo and hummed along to an unknown song, an honest-to-God wheat straw clenched in his teeth. In fact, he wasn’t the only person playing music. Hauntingly familiar tunes trickled through the tall trees around the party, and I called for Discipline rolls.

In what would become the norm for the night, Bill failed. More accurately, he chose to fail, since he routinely sits on more FP than God.

The elves’ “Enchanting Music” aspect duly applied, the elf frontman introduced himself as Arlo and invited the gang to sit down for some BBQ. “The night’s jest gettin’ started, boys, n’ my auntie-momma cooks up some mighty fine pit beef.”

The PCs were suspicious, especially after dealing with the orks, who liked to kill, rape, and eat people (and to quote Firefly, if you’re lucky they’ll do it in that order). Clay was the most skittish, but it was either go deeper into the trailer park with Arlo for some BBQ or start the murder right off the bat. Bill chose to follow Arlo thanks to the enchanting music, and since Scott and Clay weren’t going to start a fight with Bill at cross purposes, they followed as well.

The PCs lost track of time as Arlo led them deeper into the trailer park, which was unsettling but expected, since it matched fae mythology. They eventually broke out into a natural clearing. There were trailers up in the trees as well as scattered through the forest - massive trees supported double-wides festooned with Christmas lights, connected to each other by rickety bridges and walkways made from lumber, deer stands, and sheet metal. I remember describing the sight as “Ewoks crossed with Fallout”.

“Don’t eat nothin’,” Bill warned his friends. “Goddamn fairy food. Who knows what that’ll do to ya.”

“Why don’t ya’ll git sommin’ teat, n’ I’ll see if Queen Tanya’ll grant ya’ll an audience,” Arlo said as the delicious smell of smoked meat wafted across the clearing. It was time for another Discipline roll!

Bill failed. “Sounds good!” he accepted, grabbing a plate and sitting down at one of the many picnic tables scattered around the grove. Scott, in what became the norm for the night, rolled his eyes. Bill simply ate the BBQ, pronouncing it perfectly fine to eat despite his earlier advice to “Don’t eat nothin’.” He got the “Enchanting BBQ” aspect. Scott rolled Rapport and coaxed one of the many, many dogs into eating his meal for him on the sly. While Scott made a lifelong friend, Clay avoided both food and fellowship with Intimidation. In fact, it was important enough for Clay to know what the meat actually was that he invoked his “Been Through the Wringer” aspect. Clay had seen war and knew what people’s insides looked like. This food, enchanted or not, wasn’t made of people.

Clay: “Pigs don’t have wrists!”
Me: “The meat is what they say it is, and Bill, it’s wonderful. Especially that sauce...”
*Everyone shoots me dirty looks, thinking the sauce is what’s made of people*
Bill: “Fuck it.” *spoons more onto a plate*

Tanya, Queen of the Elves

So I got the PC with Lore 4 to eat fairy food. For my next trick, I managed to take their guns away. Arlo started up a generator and used it to run a winch that in turn pulled him up to the largest of the treebound aluminum trailers. He returned a little bit later and told the gang that they may enter Queen Tanya’s presence. The three hunters headed up with Arlo, where two elves and a large razorback boar stood guard outside the Queen’s trailer. Dawn and Meadow asked the gang to disarm themselves and, after some FP (except for Clay, because disarming him isn’t really a disadvantage), the PCs agreed.

Bill: “Is she like Jaime Pressly from My Name is Earl?”
Me: “eeeeh, no. More like Jabba the Hutt dolled up like Mimi from the Drew Carey show.”

Her hands, which the bikers reluctantly kissed as they introduced themselves, smelled like a grease trap.

Scott’s player was smiling as he took his turn taking the Queen’s hands, and I knew what he was up to. This wasn’t the first time he’d used Holy Touch to firebomb a monster under the guise of etiquette, but nothing happened when he took Tanya’s meaty royal paw. Ten sessions into the campaign, and this was the first time Scott had been present for a creature that didn’t have Holy Stuff as part of its Catch. He grimaced and kissed the Queen’s hand.

I Compelled Bill as he introduced himself - the Queen had heard of Bill Stockburn, and while she kept that realization to herself Scott noticed that she knew who Bill was. Scott promptly rolled his eyes again and wished he hadn’t given Dawn his gun. Tanya thanked the gang for their help against them vile orks to the south and offered them each an elven gift, tokens of their small community’s appreciation. She screeched at her husband, who had been sitting in a threadbare recliner the entire time, eyes deep in a Field & Stream magazine from 1987. “Prince Sweetwater” slowly got up and shuffled off to organize the impromptu celebration. In the meantime, Bill used the opportunity to make small talk and ask about the large lake inside Devil’s Fork State Park. He had seen it on a map inside the orks’ house, marked with an ominous red X. Was it a portal to the NeverNever? How did one operate it?

“Dat’s jest Grandmomma Gator,” Queen Tanya replied matter-of-factly. “And I ain’t ‘bout ta rile up the old folk by tellin’ you ‘bout how the lake works. You wanna use it, ya’ll need ta figure it out on ‘chown.”

With that, everyone headed down the ground level for the Official Presentation of Fairie Boons.

What Kind of a Favor Are You Talking About?

Right off the bat, Bill wanted to negotiate whatever his gift was to be away in exchange for a favor from the elves. Queen Tanya was a tad insulted, but Bill countered with some subtle Intimidation, insinuating that they had just come from slaughtering a tribe of orks that had been giving the elves problems for who knows how long. Tanya harumphed but agreed to the exchange. Scott and Clay, however, opted to receive the elven gifts.

Prince Sweetwater presented Scott with his own compound bow and quiver of arrows. I understood Scott wasn’t exactly an archer, but at least he had some skill with his gift, unlike what was about to happen to Clay. Clay received Arlo’s handmade banjo, thanked the elf profusely, and secretly calculated its potential use as a bludgeoning weapon.

The PCs noticed the gathered elves acting a little more anxious now, like they were waiting for something else. Sure enough, Queen Tanya waved her hands and settled her subjects.

“Now we’re even,” she decreed. I feel like the group lost some tension at this point - now
 was where the inevitable betrayal happened! “If ya’ll can make it off our land before sunrise, ya’ll can go free.”

Hunting horns blared from the wooded darkness beyond the clearing, and the hunters ran.

We Don’t Have the Skillset for First Blood

Bill was naturally slow, and he was addled by the elves’ music and food to boot. Neither Scott nor Clay had Survival or Stealth in any capacity, so they decided to stick together and try to circle back to their bikes as best they could. They didn’t have any guns, as Dawn and Meadow never gave them back after their audience with Tanya. They had a bow, a banjo, and Clay’s mitts. It would have to do, because it didn’t take long for the hounds to catch up with the gang. Half a dozen bloodhounds swarmed out of the trees at the party!

Clay ran a few off with an insane Intimidation roll right off the bat. Scott threw down a FP and declared that the dog coming for his face was the same one he had been feeding BBQ to earlier. The hound leapt for Scott, knocked him over, and starting vigorously licking his face! Meanwhile, two dogs were harrying Bill something fierce. The problem was that while Bill can invoke nearly all his aspects whenever he goes up against a supernatural threat, these were just dogs. They were just dogs and they were mauling poor Bill! Clay, on the other hand, was doing just fine. He grabbed one of the dogs off Bill and threw it into a tree, where it cracked against branch after branch. Somewhere during its deadly pachinko plummet it metamorphosed into a naked dead guy. See, the elves didn’t eat people, not like the orks did. If they caught you, they turned you into one of their hounds (thanks, Leanansidhe!). And while that might be cool, it really didn’t change much about the gang’s current situation.

Clay and Scott rescued Bill before the dogs bit into his Consequences, dispatching the last hostile dog (who also turned into a dead human) and continuing their escape into the forest. They needed an edge, and in the few minutes of semi-lucid planning it seemed like their best bet was to head for the lake. Perhaps they could close the portal to the NeverNever Tanya alluded to, or escape through it, or maybe the elves wouldn’t get too close. At any rate, they could follow the lake out of the Enchanted Forest as opposed to wandering aimlessly through the woods. Scott handed his bow to Bill, who had a much better shot (heh) at using it, and Clay passed the banjo to Scott. Clay then declared that the dirty elves didn’t find his iron knucks, and slipped the crude weapons over his fingers. The trio might not have had Survival, but Clay called up his Marine training and took point, navigating the party to the banks of the lake. They broke from the underbrush just as they heard the baying of hounds.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 02:40:20 AM by admiralducksauce »

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2012, 02:38:16 AM »
Grandmomma Gator

The full moon’s twin winked up from the glassy surface of the lake. There was precious little cover out on the banks, but it was too late to rush back into the woods. Coon hounds burst from the treeline, followed closely by their two elven handlers. Behind them, a posse of elven archers took firing positions in and around the trees closest to the lake. The hound-handlers brandished Bill and Scott’s pistols, seeing as how their other hands were full of leashes.

The guys had seen how effective Intimidation had been against the dogs earlier; they might have been trained dogs, but they were trackers first and foremost, not K-9 units. Scott and Clay both scared off a dog each, then Clay set to work punching the remainder. Bill shot one elf right out of a tree. It was going really well considering the odds stacked against them, but then I remembered my failure with the orks. The fight against the orks was easier than it should have been because none of the orks worked together. This time would be different. A handful of elves tried to bracket Scott with arrows, holding him steady for the third elf’s killshot, but rolling Maneuvers against your target’s best defense isn’t as effective as figuring out a way to navel-gaze unopposed. The elf only dealt stress to Scott.

Bill was another story. All of his assailants took aim. While they set up their Maneuvers, Clay flat-out Road House’d one of the dog handlers. He dropped the gory remains of the elf’s throat and tossed Bill his gun just as an arrow slammed into Bill’s leg! It was actually two separate hits, but Bill narrated it like it was just one bad one, which was fine. He had a Mild “Arrow in the Leg” consequence now as well as a Moderate one, “Bleeding Badly”.

Scott wasn’t doing much offensively, but his Conviction-based Blocks were so good he was serving to soak up arrows that could have been hitting his friends. Clay dashed over and hip-chucked the second dog handler into the lake!

The elf never hit the water. A Lake Placid-sized alligator erupted from the surface and snapped the elf out of the air like a dog playing frisbee. Grandmomma Gator’s eyes blazed with malevolent cunning as it dragged its bulk free from the lake.

Scott grabbed at his banjo and started playing the first thing that came to him. He gave himself over to God and prayed the big guy wasn’t going to let him or his friends get eaten by a SyFy Original. In game terms, Scott activated Righteousness. He might not have had the Performance skill, but with the Righteousness bonus and a great roll, he was able to Maneuver “Enchanting Music” onto Grandmomma Gator. The PCs tagged that for effect - they wanted Grandmomma to ignore them and go after the elves. I agreed readily, because... so many reasons. It was an awesome last-ditch idea. The dice were with Scott, and he hadn’t had many chances to really stick it to the elves yet. Plus, I am a sucker for rock-offs of any sort, and Banjo vs. Demon Alligator is awesome.

I admit, it was entertaining to see my group’s reactions when I explained how much damage Supernatural Strength combined with Claws dishes out.

Of Course Grandmomma Can Tag It!

The rest of the battle went something like this:
1. An elf tries to run away.
2. Bill shoots that elf in the leg.
3. Bill passes the free tag to Grandmomma Gator, who eats the elf.

Two elves scampered up a tree. “We got ya’ll now, you stupid sombitches! Gator’s cain’t climb trees!” While their shots on the party were solid hits, the guys bought them down to just stress damage. Then Scott shouted back, “Gator’s don’t NEED to climb trees, assholes!”

With a thundering, splintering crash, Grandmomma knocked the remaining elves’ tree over. One of them was pinned underneath and was quickly eaten. The other elf ran for it as before, but the PCs herded him towards the lake with gunfire Blocks. They weren’t sure how the gator was going to react once the elves were gone, so they wanted it pointed towards its home first. With no other options, the wounded elf almost made it to the water before the alligator’s jaws snapped home. The PCs slowly backed up to the treeline, Scott still picking away at the banjo. Luckily, Grandmomma Gator sank beneath the water with nary a ripple.

Only You Can Prevent Enchanted Forest Fires

The gang’s plans changed after the lakeside battle. They weren’t going to push their luck with trying to close whatever kind of portal that lake was, not with the gator so riled up. Bill was hurt bad and besides, their bikes were still back near the trailer park. They needed to get back to their bikes and they wanted revenge, and right now most of the elves were out looking for them. They figured that the trailer park itself would be fairly lightly guarded. Besides, they didn’t see any cellphones or walkie-talkies on the dead elves. Chances were good that they didn’t even know what had happened here at the lake.

Scott and Clay were fairly low on FP. Bill, as usual, had the most but even he was running low. Thing is, he still had enough to Invoke his way back to the elves’ camp even without the Survival skill. I decided to try to take Bill out of the navigation equation and Compelled his “Bleeding Badly” consequence. He’d be losing focus and passing in and out of consciousness, so he wouldn’t be able to help find their way back to the trailer park. It was a calculated move, and it was part of my plan for the future to try to make Compels and Consequences hurt a little more than they had in past sessions. That left Scott and Clay to try a Survival roll, which failed. Then they asked if they could use Lore for a second attempt, explaining it as trying to sense the elven glamour of the enchanted forest and see through it. I thought that was pretty cool, so I let them try again and, with the last of Clay’s FP, they eventually found their way back to familiar ground near the central clearing just as predawn light bruised its way through the eastern darkness.

Sneaking up to the massive tree that cradled Queen Tanya’s trailer was made easier by the elves’ incompetent dice rolls. The guys used the gas from the generator, some of the picnic tables, and some old mattresses that had been lying around to make a suitable pyre out of the base of the Elf Queen’s abode. They lit that sucker on fire and ran, hoping the blaze would distract the elves long enough for the gang to reach their bikes.

Queen Tanya’s frenzied howl echoed through the trees behind them. “Beeeeiiilll Stockburn!!! You ain’t herd the last o’ me! You hear me?! You ain’t herd the last of-

The tree cracked and shifted, finally toppling under the trailer’s weight and sending a mushroom cloud of embers and sparks skyward to light the boughs of nearby trees.

NOW What!?

Bill, Scott, and Clay found their bikes just where they left them - but the last time they had seen their rides, the tires weren’t slashed. This was a Compel to Clay, who was deliciously out of FP. Scott and Bill could have refused the Compels and one could have carried Clay on their ride, but they all accepted FP and all three bikes were sabotaged. Cursing, they ran (or hobbled, in Bill’s case) down the gravel trail to the “main road”, as it were.

They reached the Enchanted Forest Trailer Park sign just in time to see a park ranger Bronco slide to the halt on the gravel. Behind it, two unmarked black Suburbans followed suit. Their red and blue lights cascaded off the forest like dueling will o’ wisps.

Cliffhanger

We ended with that cliffhanger. I don’t know who’s in the Suburbans, although it’ll partially depend on which players can make it next time. If Carter’s there, it could be Crowley-Lampkin thugs. If Clay’s there, it might be Project BLACKBOX agents. It could always simply be feds who aren’t in the know, tipped off by the party’s enemies.

Everyone agreed that the elves were far worse than the orks, which is as it should be. You get what you see with orks, but elves have to have some guile to them to be believable (heh). I also remembered to have the elves use teamwork where I could, which made a big difference. The PCs ended the session with very few FP left.

To that end, I need to work a little bit on making my Compels more significant. I figure if I plan about half a session (which is kind of what I did, being thrown under the gaming bus at the last minute), I can fill it out with Compel-based situations and not feel like I’m running long.

At any rate, it was a fun session. I’d actually like to try another investigation-based monster hunt, but I think the cliffhanger here isn’t going to match up well with that, so next time’ll probably be pure chaos.