Author Topic: Who can enter the Nevernever?  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Wolfwood2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Who can enter the Nevernever?
« on: October 18, 2010, 06:50:08 PM »
I'm a little confused on what it takes to get into the Nevernever.  As far as I can tell:

1. Any supernatural creature can do it, but it usually takes them them a scene (or being absent from a scene) so they can go find a place that "resonates" with their power.

2. Anyone with Worldwalker can do it at any time, so they can use it for quick escapes and such.

3. Anyone with Thaumaturgy can do it?  Not quite sure I got this one.  Harry seems able to rip open portals to the Nevernever on the spot.  Is that because the complexity of the ritual is below his Lore, so it's not a problem?

Also, what about humans who have more limited powers?  Like, can a focused practicioner find their way to the Nevernever?  Do we treat them as "a supernatural creature" for this purpose?

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Who can enter the Nevernever?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:05:28 PM »
1. Any supernatural creature can do it, but it usually takes them them a scene (or being absent from a scene) so they can go find a place that "resonates" with their power.

Agreed.

2. Anyone with Worldwalker can do it at any time, so they can use it for quick escapes and such.

Yup.

3. Anyone with Thaumaturgy can do it?  Not quite sure I got this one.  Harry seems able to rip open portals to the Nevernever on the spot.  Is that because the complexity of the ritual is below his Lore, so it's not a problem?

The section on page 283 is what you're looking for and, indeed, anyone with Thaumaturgy can open a temporary portal.  Keeping them open is, of course, tougher (details on the same page).  If you're looking at someplace with a Superb barrier, it's not all that tough to open a portal with even a low-level Lore -- a couple of manuvers worth of preperation and then a round or two of channeling at the most.  

Also, what about humans who have more limited powers?  Like, can a focused practicioner find their way to the Nevernever?  Do we treat them as "a supernatural creature" for this purpose?

This is a bit fuzzier under the rules and falls (IMO, obviously) into the realm of GM decision-making.  It depends heavily on *what* the power is for such a creature.  If a character is an Emissary of a Power, I would say he could *certainly* cross over in places important to his patron.  Natural 'shifters could cross over in places of nature, if it fits their concept.  A Focused Practitioner like Mort could probably cross over in a place important to his Focus -- like a graveyard for Mort.

Long story short, I don't think anyone but vanilla mortals should be barred entirely -- and even they might cross if they had sufficient Lore to find a place or use a Ritual.  Like anything else in Dresden Files, would it make a better story if someone was shut out of the Nevernever?

Even Michael could have probably crossed over in a sufficiently Holy place on his own in Grave Peril...  except the GM tossed a Compel his way and forced him to get out with Thomas for amusement value.   ;D

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 04:31:18 AM »
I had that same question a while ago. We had a character in the party who had Channeling: Positive Chi and he wanted to tear a hole to the Nevernever. Don't think it ever came up in play though, our party wasn't hurting for spellslingers (1 thaumaturge, 3 full wizards and one fey sponsored caster).

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 08:02:30 AM »
The whole enetering the NeverNever thing is a little bit of an oddity. The way it's described in the novels makes it sound far more like evocation than thaumaturgy, but the rules describe it as a use of thaumaturgy.

I was going to post up that only people who can use actual magic, and creatures that have ties to the NeverNever can cross over. But when I think about it there are more than enough stories and legends where normal people stumble across into faerie. That may of course be because the barrier between worlds was once much thinner than it is now. I'm still a little dubious about Michael being able to cross over on his own - I kinda see Holy Places actually being more of a bastion against the Never Never. I'd say that unless the barrier is thin enough for anyone (including completely vanilla mortals) to cross over then it should require at least Thaumaturgy to do so (or Ritual if the area of expertise is to do with transportation and world-walking).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 11:33:06 AM by babel2uk »

Offline wolff96

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:30:35 PM »
I'm still a little dubious about Michael being able to cross over on his own - I kinda see Holy Places actually being more of a bastion against the Never Never. I'd say that unless the barrier is thin enough for anyone (including completely vanilla mortals) to cross over then it should require at least Thaumaturgy to do so (or Ritual if the area of expertise is to do with transportation and world-walking).

I guess this is one of those areas where we'll have to agree to disagree.

If Michael Carpenter wanted to cross over into the Nevernever, I would make it rather difficult for him to do so.  He calls up Harry, he does the research on his own, or he looks for a place the barrier is really thin.  If Michael, Knight of the Cross and Fist of God, needs to cross over into the Nevernever to pursue a fleeing demon and save an innocent soul, I can't see anything being capable of barring his passage. 

That's the difference to me -- one is a character looking to pass over for some reason.  The other is a high-concept driven Emissary of Power smashing through the barrier between worlds because it furthers his patron's designs.

I'm kind of a story guy anyway.  If a player makes a case for passing over because it fits his High Concept, I'm not going to sweat it over whether or not he has a specific power...  unless the story is enhanced further by his being barred from the Nevernever for some reason.

I think it makes a lot of sense for Focused Practitioners and other members of the supernatural community being able to pass over where the area fits with their personality or concept.  It's not like all White Court Vampires have Thaumaturgy or Ritual, after all, and they're the specific example for supernaturals being able to cross over where it resonates with their concept...

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:53:45 PM »
It's not like all White Court Vampires have Thaumaturgy or Ritual, after all, and they're the specific example for supernaturals being able to cross over where it resonates with their concept...

White Court Vampires are creatures of the Never Never. They may be the closest to human of the Vampire Courts, but they do carry a demon round inside them, and it's the places that are attuned to that demonic aspect where they can cross over.

Fair enough, we'll disagree. My main argument against Michael being able to enter the Never Never unaided is because Faith seems to act as a direct counter to the Supernatural. Overcoming obstacles is what makes a story - it's a far more interesting story for him to have to seek help to pursue said demon. Of course the easiest way for that to manifest is through his Guide My Hand ability - and have his friend Harry stumble onto the scene at exactly the right time.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 04:59:08 PM by babel2uk »

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
I think faith seems to act as a direct counter to evil but not necessarily to the supernatural. If Harry threw fire at Michael I don't think his faith would be any more effective than it would be against a bullet or a sword or for that matter someone throwing a torch at him. The whole concept of soulfire seems to bear that idea out (it being at least in Harry's case a combination of faith based power and Harry's own supernatural abilities).

The weirdest thing is that it is the only example I can find of thaumaturgy that isn't thaumaturgy. It is technically thaumaturgy but it doesn't have a complexity, requires no preparation, etc. It's described as a simple action against the strength of the barrier.

Offline FangGrip

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »
It seems to kinda work as Thaumaturgy at the Speed of Evocation.  Kinda like how many of the sponsored magic options work.  Thats how I am running it anyway.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 07:39:36 PM »
i would just treat it as a role against the stregth of the barrier
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 08:13:49 PM »
I think that the issue of anyone accidentally crossing over should be removed from consideration for this.  We're talking intentional crossing.  I have no issue with high concept driven story reasons to speed the crossing, and after all the game is more about fun than about properly modeling what the books do.

I don't like to use the vampires as models because of the rather large amount of retconning done to them over the course of the series.  I am no longer clear on what is or is not from the NN, or what has problems being here and what does not because the books seem a bit soft on the logic there.

Insofar as intentional crossing is concerned remember that anyone can take Worldwalker if they want to have the innate talent to cross over.  In the case of the positive chi chaneller, I imagine he had some refresh to play with so he could have "discovered" that talent mid-play.  Otherwise it's thaumaturgy or handwaviology by the GM and therefore off screen or in the hands of mysterious NPCs.

As far as the time and speed of use, in instances where Harry is 'rapidly' opening portals I don't recall it being evocative.  I can think of a few where the story is further complicated by how long it takes him to open the way, even in Changes.  I submit that the most frequently used way in Turn Coat has it's location as part of the thaumaturgy components.  The narrative may flow fast, but that's all author's license, and Harry's still doing grunt work thaumaturgy.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 03:38:35 AM »
I can think of a few where the story is further complicated by how long it takes him to open the way, even in Changes. 

well remeber the part when he was fighting the Ick in the Erlking's court he opened that portol obove him and Susan to protect them both from the falling debris
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 03:54:26 AM »
True, though this is a spoiler-free zone unless I'm missing something and mistaken.  In the fight
(click to show/hide)
however Harry
(click to show/hide)
and I think this can be ruled as one of those situations where his sponsored magic talent will permit him to perform Thaumaturgy with Evocation's speed, so you can't really use that to justify Warden Bob in Miami having rapid worldwalking.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:04:14 AM »
yeah that totally slipped my mind

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 04:44:48 AM »
(click to show/hide)
  Theoretically, if the veil between the real world and the Nevernever is especially thin, you wouldn't really need that much in the way of complexity to open a portal. In fact, purely mental constructs would be all that is required.
(click to show/hide)
The veil between has been very tenuous at best in Chicago. Harry wouldn't need to do much.

Even just mechanically, how long does the ritual have to be? If you have "Great" Lore or better, chances are you won't need to spend much time at all as you can hit it easily. (the no-prep "clause")
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2010, 01:26:55 PM »
as for agatha she was a being from NN so she got the special "i can cross whereever i'm attuned with (places for killing babies lol)"  just like with thomas in WN