Author Topic: When to break a scene?  (Read 1877 times)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
When to break a scene?
« on: October 22, 2010, 03:57:19 AM »
I question sometimes where to break scenes, especially in reference to the books.  If this were D&D my answer would be simple, and I am tempted to use the same logic, however when you reference scenes against the events in White Night, especially at the climax, I start to question the scene breakdown.

I am trying to avoid spoilers here, so in the most general terms the climax is a pretty big fustercluck, as most DF books are by the end.  Throughout I can count Harry throwing around way too many spells for his supposed stress tracks, unless when the chapters break the scenes break.  In the literary structure the scenes are indeed breaking, but does it work in the game sense?  Can you break a scene and wipe stress while all the rivals are still on stage?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: When to break a scene?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 04:07:14 AM »
Using the books is a very bad example. At least it references that Harry goes from scene to scene, without rest/et cetera. (YS220).  Howevery, the "Running the Game" section covers the topic very well, IMO. (YS307-308).  Basically, each scene should have a purpose. Once that's done, or if it starts to drag, it's time to close it and then move on.

As for the example you're using from WN, that would definitely not be a scene change, and an example of why harry takes a good deal of consequences.  Or rather, it's one scene *breaking* into another. No transitioning.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 12:56:31 PM »
The easiest way to tell if a scene is over is to think whether you could skip ahead a little without messing things up. If the action is continuing, it's the same scene. If narration is continuous in a way that isn't, "And then, later that day..." type of way, it's probably over.

When in doubt, I ask the players. "Hey, guys. I think this scene's done. Anyone against me skipping ahead a bit?" If no one has objections, the scene is done.

I'm very much against ending scenes with someone crashing through the window to pick a fight. That's a great way to START a scene, don't get me wrong. But if something worth paying attention to is going on in the room, someone smashing through the windows is definitely the middle, not the end.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:26:22 PM »
In WN ending there are probably the following scenes;

1)
(click to show/hide)
2)
(click to show/hide)
3)
(click to show/hide)
4)
(click to show/hide)

It should be noted that even a minute or two to catch a breather signifies scene change combat-wise. Think of it like boxing; between one round and the next, the boxers catch their second wind and can go at it again (stress is cleared) but they are still suffering from especially nasty blows (consequences carry over)

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 04:12:40 PM »
It's kind of up to you and your players how you break up scenes. If a progression like Belial666 presented sounds a bit too contrived for you and your players, don't use it. Splitting up scenes like that is one of the easier methods to make for an epic story though. And it does simulate a series of adrenaline fueled challenges. But do whatever fits the story you want to tell.

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »
In WN ending there are probably the following scenes;

1)
(click to show/hide)
2)
(click to show/hide)
3)
(click to show/hide)
4)
(click to show/hide)

It should be noted that even a minute or two to catch a breather signifies scene change combat-wise. Think of it like boxing; between one round and the next, the boxers catch their second wind and can go at it again (stress is cleared) but they are still suffering from especially nasty blows (consequences carry over)

that sounds more than resonable to me
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...