Author Topic: Who can enter the Nevernever?  (Read 4782 times)

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Who can enter the Nevernever?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 06:43:09 PM »
I was specifically referring to harry following her through, pretty much right away. Sorry for not specifying.
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 08:39:33 PM »
Well it wasn't like he grabbed the hem of her dress and hitched a ride.  I can see aspects you've already noted as being on the scene and tagged. 
(click to show/hide)
  In short this is a one-time special occasion that would use GM handwaviology to progress the story with the understanding that it isn't normally this easy to transition.

Compare to the battle
(click to show/hide)
, it takes Harry significant effort to open the door there and to keep it open. 
(click to show/hide)

This thread http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21851.0.html has some discussion about the length of time required for even a no prep clause ritual.

Offline Morfedel

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 09:41:40 PM »

I don't like to use the vampires as models because of the rather large amount of retconning done to them over the course of the series.  I am no longer clear on what is or is not from the NN, or what has problems being here and what does not because the books seem a bit soft on the logic there.

Retcon? Realize I'm not being argumentative, I don't know what you are referring to.

As for Michael and entering the NN, if I recall correctly, didn't Michael rescue Charity from that Dragon while in the NN? I couldve sworn there was an offhand comment about that in one of the books. If so, he had to get there somehow.

On the other hand, God will provide, and He works in mysterious ways. If necessary, a wizard or somesuch would be arranged. And as such, Michael can do anything when needed for his mission, even when provided indirectly :)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 03:17:41 AM »
To me the nature of vampires changes between Storm Front and Grave Peril.  In SF Harry's monologue indicates vampires have a hard enough time just holding themselves together on this side of the barrier, indicating that they (all vampires) are creatures of the Nevernever.  By GP this has changed, it seems they are more tied into the world and there's never again any mention of holding themselves together, just keeping the flesh masks on.  Also by this time there are now multiple courts of vampires, etc.

Now we have a great excuse here in that the case files are all first person, and if something changed it's just that Harry didn't know the truth beforehand and is being shockingly truthful in his retelling of his own failings.  I classify it a retcon, but that's just how I see it.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 03:39:00 AM »
Ah. The spot in question is about thresholds.  Well, about anything that's not human is a demon or spirit of some kind (or partially).  I think Jim used the example of Vampires there because "invitation only" is a very well known Vamp "weakness".
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
I'm not seeing a lot that I would classify as a retcon there.  As Drashna mentioned, the passage you're talking about is relative to thresholds: Vampires have trouble crossing them, and at best would be significantly weakened by them (and would lose their fleshmask).  And throughout the series, red court vamps tend to lose their fleshmasks quickly under stress (a fight, for example), which reflects that concentration needed to maintain the mask.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2010, 01:16:50 AM »
Not only would they lose their fleshmask, most of their "essence" would be suppressed.  And given that WoJ implies that a person's soul is consumed in the process of becoming a full Red, that they are indeed spirits/demons.  In fact, I kinda view it as a very very very (ad infinum) small ascension ritual. It's got the right feel, and components. Just not the same scale. And with all the other "rites of ascension that is mentioned by Jim Himself, it not only makes sense, I suspect that's the idea. :)  Which would among other things, explain the inability to cross a threshold uninvited.