Author Topic: New Playable Races......?  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Custos

• Participant
    • View Profile
New Playable Races......?
« on: October 25, 2010, 03:14:49 AM »
I'm curious if anyone has tried to take the concept of the supernatural and run with as far as race, for merely a flavor standpoint. It would seem for the most part that a golem or a tulpa wouldn't change much, if any, of the stats for a character but would just me more fluff. Anyone else tried to bring in something different?

Offline WillH

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: New Playable Races......?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 01:27:03 PM »
Between aspects an creature feature powers, there is very little that can't be modeled.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »
I'm not sure if I understand the question here. As written, the rules pretty much cover the various supernatural creatures as individual entities rather than sub-species of humanity. As WillH says, between Aspects and Creature Features there's very little that can't be modled.

If the question is more generally can the Fate system handle different character races I'd point you in the direction of Legends of Anglerre - which is a Fantasy version of the system and has other possible character races including Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Centaurs, Dragons and Fauns. As well as a section on creating your own races. Mainly that's done by aspects and powers that members of that race may take (they don't have to), and several stunts that are only available to that race. I don't think any of the racial build pieces are compulsory, you just don't get the benifit of them if you haven't bought them.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:44:33 PM »
I created (for a convention game) a Bast character (from the Witchcraft RPG by Carella; essentially, intelligent magickal Egyptian cats).  It fit in as a -5 Refresh character for a 6 refresh game without any real difficulty.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
All is possible.  In vanilla Dresden, any non-human race would either be beings from the Nevernever or some form of magical construct or such.  Or a scion (crossbreed) between humans and Neverneverlings.

If you search back through this forum, there was some discussion of running a D&D-based setting for a DFRPG game -- that is, DFRPG characters who have travelled to another 'material world' based on a D&D setting.