Author Topic: Building New Orleans (City Creation As A Mental Exercise)  (Read 1479 times)

Tbora

Building New Orleans (City Creation As A Mental Exercise)
« on: October 08, 2010, 11:56:45 AM »
I am putting together the city New Orleans as a mental exercise and a possible future game.

But I am not the greatest at such things so I am asking for thoughts on some Threats/Themes, Locations, Faces, etc, etc.

Here is what I have got so far -

For a Theme I have is "Snail Paced Recovery" which represents the speed of healing from the devastation left from Katrina though there has to be a better wording.The idea behind it kind of shows how everyone in the city Vanilla and Supernatural alike are still very much licking there wounds even five years after the event.What with all the environmental damage caused I am debating whether a Fae or Changling should be a Face.On the other hand a down and out business man would be appropriate too.

A Threat I have is "In Destruction, Corruption" which basically means that in everything that's happened things are becoming darker, the world both physically and metaphysically are becoming corrupt and degrading and becoming much worse then they are.I am not too sure about a face for this but a White Court Vampire might be appropriate such as a Skavis or Malvora.

I am not too sure on a third Theme or Threat so I will need some ideas for this.

Likewise I am not knowledgeable about famous or important places which could serve as Locations nor Faces to go with them.

A group I want to include are some Necromancers as a Big Bad what with the historic relationship with Voodoo and Zombies.

And that is what I got, any and all help would be much appreciated.

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Re: Building New Orleans (City Creation As A Mental Exercise)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
I'd tie those two together in a single theme that references Katrina directly instead of separating the two. And for New Orleans, you GOTTA reference The Big Easy as a theme or idea.

Tbora

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 05:45:27 PM »
What is "The Big Easy"?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »
It's one of several NO nicknames.  From Wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans:

The Big Easy was possibly a reference by musicians in the early 20th century to the relative ease of finding work there. It also may have originated in the Prohibition era, when the city was considered one big speak-easy due to the inability of the federal government to control alcohol sales in open violation of the 18th Amendment. The term was used by local columnist Betty Gillaud in the 1970s to contrast life in the city to that of New York City. The name also refers to New Orleans' status as a major city, at one time "one of the cheapest places in America to live."

---
It's also a film about the New Orleans way of fighting crime  - more specifically about the underlying corruption in the police force. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Easy_%28film%29

Corruption among the police is a long running theme of the city.  I'm not sure how it's like now, but during the 80s and 90s New Orleans was infamous for artificially keeping its murder rate low.  The police could have a room full of blood and smashed furniture, but unless they had a body they labeled the case a missing persons rather than murder.  If the victim happened to be from out of town, well, why bother looking for him? He probably went home, right?

Calling those cases "missing persons" rather than murder kept the official crime rate down and percentage of solved murders high - which looked good on paper as long as you didn't know about the high rate of "missing persons".

More recently, well, I hit google and found http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-04-13-new-orleans-cops_N.htm (a pattern of corruption in the NO police), http://www.authorsden.com/categories/article_top.asp?catid=53&id=33829, and http://www.zcommunications.org/new-orleans-police-corruption-and-repression-by-darwin-bondgraham which looks at the problem over decades.

Richard

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:21 PM »
There's always valuable information in some of the not-so-nice bits & pieces about a city - ie. where is the rent low? Where do property values bottom out? Crime news, murder rates, local law enforcement websites about what crimes are up or down, that kind of thing. Where do kids not finish school? Where are most of the hookers parked? Is underaged prostitution rampant? Find the crackhouses and the Salvation Army headquarters, the food banks and the soup kitchens. Is there a problem on the waterfront and where are all the golf courses NOT?

Tourist spots are nice for the pretty pictures, but the stories are in the folds of its ugly, sweaty, hairy underbelly.

Offline Lirielle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 01:22:02 PM »
Looks like there are a few groups playing around in New Orleans. :) It's a really cool city to play with. From the touristy areas to the not-so-great areas, there's a lot of material there. There's another thread about someone asking for ideas here - http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,21006.0.html.

1. Katrina - the destruction is still evident now, especially in the poverty-stricken areas. Even near the French Quarter, one of the primary tourist attractions, you can still see the marks from where the rescue people went through and marked the houses. It's kind of chilling to go down there and see it.
2. Poverty and people on the streets. Street performers used to be everywhere, but the last few times I've been down there, there aren't many. You can see people setting out their hats for a few coins or dollars, doing a variety of magic tricks, emulations, and so forth.
3. The total culture clashes. For instance, right in front of the St. Louis Cathedral, you have an area populated by artists, fortune tellers, tarot readers/palm readers, and merchants. The city has this reputation for being all about voodoo and vampires and so forth, but there's a strong Catholic presence as well. (Indeed, voodoo has some curious connections with Christianity, especially in Louisiana, as a result of the slave trade.)
4. Rich history you can play on - hauntings, war stories, voodoo priestesses, slavery. (One of the storylines I ran dealt with ghosts, and I was SO hoping one of the PCs would open their Sight in the LaLaurie Mansion. Sigh, he knew better.)
5. Corruption. Though in reality, most cities have their own issues of corruption, New Orleans (and Louisiana in general) has its own little quirks throughout history. It's fairly easy to play off of corruption here.
6. Crime. It's easy to visualize crime here, and it's just as easy to ignore it if you so choose because of the diversity of the city.
7. The French Quarter. This is one of the primary tourist attractions. It features Bourbon Street (fantastic place for White Court vampires!), several quaint shops with all sorts of focuses, warehouses nearby for shady deals, ghost/witchcraft & voodoo/vampire tours, active nightlife, etc.

Necromancers are easy to use here as well. An interesting point is that many of the cemeteries feature mausoleums, as the city is below sea level and there are nasty little stories about the necessity of above-ground burial methods. (There's a scene in the movie Double Jeopardy where she goes into the cemeteries - ignore their horrid accents, though; honestly, most people in New Orleans have an accent that's closer akin to New York/Brooklyn than the deep-South drawl that's really more associated with northern Louisiana and Georgia.) I'd even say that the taint of necromancy would be hard to track down, as it would be so rampant - from wannabe teens who somehow manage to stumble across some remnants of it to the real deal. But that's my thought. :)

Faces could be politicians trying to clean up and recover the city, white court vampires, black court vampires drawn there by the allure of the already-mentioned Anne Rice novels, in-the-know police officers and priests, and so on. Perhaps even reporters, prominent business folk, and so on.

Hope that helps.

Offline mostlyawake

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:43:50 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Laveau
http://lafayettecemetery.org/ which has some very interesting info about the next link:
http://www.saveourcemeteries.org/

and at least one http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com/

I think there's something cool to be done with the concept of people profiting off of the area's roots in the occult.  Like, maybe the ghost tour guy actually has telekinesis and uses it to create ghostly happenings. Then he somehow channels the fear of people.  Basically he's using "ghost tours" to create areas of power by imbuing them with fearful people. He starts off like this, but eventually (if not stopped) he will work up to really wanting to maximize that fear, like creating his own SAW situations.

Or, he's a real magician who tries to keep everything on the DL by putting on these obviously FAKE ghost tours.  You leave feeling kind of ripped off, but more confident that magic DOESN'T exist.

Anyways, I think someone like that is a good face for whatever aspect or threat about magic you create, because his job makes it very easy to interact with him.  Like, the PCs might take the tour to recon something that they know to be more dangerous than other people think.  Then they notice this guy acting funny.