Author Topic: How many is too many?  (Read 5188 times)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How many is too many?
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2010, 02:00:30 AM »
Were-hyena?  No problem: just charge him a Fate every time he laughs, since he's clearly invoking his High Concept...  :p

Oh no, it is evident that the GM should be giving him a Fate Point every time he laughs as he is more clearly self-compelling his High Concept.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2010, 03:10:19 AM »
Oh no, it is evident that the GM should be giving him a Fate Point every time he laughs as he is more clearly self-compelling his High Concept.
Only if he laughs alone, and then feels self-conscious.  If it's an infectious laugh, and others join in, then he's clearly using his High Concept against others, and is therefore an invocation.  :)

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2010, 03:32:41 AM »
Only if he laughs alone, and then feels self-conscious.  If it's an infectious laugh, and others join in, then he's clearly using his High Concept against others, and is therefore an invocation.  :)
Oh no, if it is an infectious laugh, then even more so he is self-compelling and thus it is not an invocation. Afterall, more people laughing is a complication and thus he should get the Fate point.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 03:43:05 AM »
Oh no, if it is an infectious laugh, then even more so he is self-compelling and thus it is not an invocation. Afterall, more people laughing is a complication and thus he should get the Fate point.
Only if they are laughing at you.  At best, an infectious laugh is akin to a maneuver placing a scene aspect, which you then tag against the entire table.  That's a lot of Fate points, my friend -- even if the first one is free!

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 06:59:23 AM »
He had +6 Control and Discipline. He tagged an Aspect and invoked an Aspect. he got +1 on the roll. +11 control with a Weapon 6 attack. Undodgeable to almost everything, takes out ghouls in a single hit.
Why undodgeable? Assuming your targeting someone of equal standing, they could easily have an athletics of +6. Add supernatural speed for a +2 and the same +1 roll you had and they just need to tag one aspect to tie your +11, and then I don't take any of the +17 damage.

I'm still learning the magic rules, so I may be off here, but I understood that you have to beat the attack roll on defense not attack+weapon.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2010, 10:38:04 AM »
Why undodgeable? Assuming your targeting someone of equal standing, they could easily have an athletics of +6. Add supernatural speed for a +2 and the same +1 roll you had and they just need to tag one aspect to tie your +11, and then I don't take any of the +17 damage.

I'm still learning the magic rules, so I may be off here, but I understood that you have to beat the attack roll on defense not attack+weapon.

Beat is the important part there. You need to get 12 or more to avoid taking any damage. If you equal the 11 you take a 6 point hit.

I think it's still a 7 stress hit on the caster though for casting the spell (assuming a conviction of 5), though you could reduce that assuming you have a power focus (obviously the level of power focus is limited by your Lore and the number of focus slots you have available).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:47:52 AM by babel2uk »

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2010, 02:35:21 PM »
By the time you reach at Fantastic (+6) skills, you are at 16 refresh or so. By that time, a dedicated spellcaster can have ridiculous attack rolls and weapon ratings. For example, my 14 refresh evil sorceress rolls for her most basic Rote a Weapon 14 Control 15 spell. This with a Superb (+5) skill cap. Even someone with Mythic Speed and Acrobat and Superb Dodge (total +9 defense) is going to take 20 shifts of stress.

And a wizard does not need to hit athletics at all. They could roll a really big knock-out spell that puts you to sleep that deals mental stress, like the Gatekeeper used in Turn Coat. That way they hit Discipline or Conviction, which you can't easily boost if you're a melee fighter.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »
Beat is the important part there. You need to get 12 or more to avoid taking any damage. If you equal the 11 you take a 6 point hit.

I think it's still a 7 stress hit on the caster though for casting the spell (assuming a conviction of 5), though you could reduce that assuming you have a power focus (obviously the level of power focus is limited by your Lore and the number of focus slots you have available).
Actually, if the conviction is assumed to be 5, then a Weapon:6 Spell costs 2 mental stress.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 03:05:29 PM »
Actually, if the conviction is assumed to be 5, then a Weapon:6 Spell costs 2 mental stress.

sorry, brain freeze. I saw the Weapon 6 bit on the spell and still used the final roll as the power for working out stress there. d'oh.

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 03:20:17 PM »
Edit: Had a question. Answered it myself. Ignore this post.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 03:54:31 PM by babel2uk »

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 04:32:05 PM »
+5 Conviction and +4 Discipline
+1 Power and +2 Control
+2 Invoking Rising Conflict
+2 Tagging Earlier Aspect
+1 Roll

Weapon 6 hitting at +11. Or, a Weapon 4 hitting an entire zone at +11.

I was fighting a dozen ghouls at the time, all in the same zone as me. Took a step back, so in the end the spell was +10, but at the same time, they have +4 Athletics. Nameless baddies have no Fate Points, and at their best rolls the best they can do is take a 6 shift hit, which is enough to down all of them anyways. That is assuming they get the best roll possible. More likely that they have lower rolls and die faster.

There is a reason one of that guy's aspects is called Ghoul-B-Gone :)
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »

I've got a were-polar bear in my game maybe i should give him an FP everytime he drinks a coke in animal form  ;D
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...