Author Topic: So Has Anyone Considered... (DM-on spoilers)  (Read 1823 times)

Offline miketh

• Participant
    • View Profile
So Has Anyone Considered... (DM-on spoilers)
« on: September 29, 2010, 01:37:47 AM »
...a Ghost Rider-like character?  I think that someone, or something, hijacking a Denarian or being in a similar situation to Harry with Lasciel's shadow and using Hellfire for their own motives would be pretty awesome.  Or, heck, even using some Sponsored Magic (maybe Summer Fire?) to accomplish this would work.

I don't have either of the books, so I can't stat a character like this.  Just thought that it was an interesting idea to bring to the community's notice :)

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: So Has Anyone Considered... (DM-on spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
using Hellfire for their own motives
Is this anything like shooting someone for their own good?  :)

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:55 PM »
The closest I came was an NPC villain who was working with dark powers; but genuinely believed that he would be able to make it all turn out for the best.

Needless to say, it didn't...
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:32:16 PM »
Sounds a lot like an "I will use these infernally corrupting powers for the good of all" scenario. It's one of those things that's on the very edge of possibility. Theoretically you could take advantage of the power offered and not be corrupted by it. This is what keeps offers like these so popular. Of course, theoretically you could get lucky and have all your molecules and the molecules of a wall line up in just the right way to let you walk right through it. Neither theoretical outcome is very likely to happen.

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
Sure, I've got a character for one of my convention games who's based on a different comic book character (Etrigan the Demon) who's got Sponsored Magic: Hellfire and it works just fine. Of course one of the things you're pretty much required to do when GMing such a character is push the demon's agenda using compels and pulling all the wonderful extra strings that come attached to Sponsored Magic.

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »
I can imagine a Denarian whose MO was just giving people power and then letting them go out into the world.

At first, they use the power to do good. Then, as time passes, they do a little something selfish here, a little something selfish there. They hurt someone by accident a couple of times, then they start to do it a little on purpose, then it slowly becomes the default.

Years pass, and what's left is a bitter, cynical host that is just perfect for that particular Fallen.

A Ghost Rider type character (well, one of the incarnations thereof) could make a good model for such a person. They've crossed the line into where hurting people is acceptable, but not quite to the point where it doesn't matter any more.