Author Topic: Golems  (Read 1644 times)

Offline revxopher

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Golems
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:00:06 PM »
So, I have a character that can create small golems. I couldn't however find anyway of making them, or anything even close to them (familiars, homunculi), so I came up with an idea for it and I wanted to see what people think. Included is the idea behind the power and two of the techno-golems he has. I designed as an additional cost to building an item of power.

Golems - A golem can seemingly function on its own and can be setup to perform certain tasks. As such the golem gains 1 skill at Fair, 1 skill at Good, and 1 skill at Great, its uses of those skills may be limited by its nature. Although because it can act on its own, it can also get itself into trouble, and as a result can take stress and consequences. It can not be truly destroyed in a mundane way, as it can always be rebuilt with time. Golems are always Items of Power. The abilities that I have down as a 0 cost is because of It Is What It Is.

Sneaky Golem = 2  (Physical OO, Mental 00)
A small bug like robot with dragonfly like wings that can attach to security cameras and project an illusion.

Item of Power - +1
Diminutive Size - 0
Wings - 0
Golem - 1
- Alertness +2
- Athletics +3
- Burglary  +4
Glamours for the Camera - 2
- Can use Glamours to hide itself and to project seemings into any sort of survealance equipment.

---

Spy Golem = 2 (Physical OOOO, Mental OO)
What looks like a camera on treads with two pincer arms.

Item of Power - 0
Enhanced Senses - 0 (Nightvision and Telescopic)
Golem - 1
- Athletics +2
- Endurance +3
- Investigation +4
Tracking -1
- Can use Investigation for Shadowing instead of Stealth.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Golems
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »
One of the challenges when making golems is that the system doesn't support always on magic items.  You might be better off making a Thaumaturgy spell that animates a specially prepared figure and keeps it running for a set time.  Crank up the duration to a week or a month and you'll have a toy that runs around and follows your orders.

The only thing it the spell would probably be very complex so take a while (and tag many aspects) to cast.  Then again the rubber ducky tracking device wasn't that hard to do so you might be able to get a simple one up and running as in a short time.

Richard

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 08:19:08 AM »
One of the challenges when making golems is that the system doesn't support always on magic items.  You might be better off making a Thaumaturgy spell that animates a specially prepared figure and keeps it running for a set time.  Crank up the duration to a week or a month and you'll have a toy that runs around and follows your orders.

The only thing it the spell would probably be very complex so take a while (and tag many aspects) to cast.  Then again the rubber ducky tracking device wasn't that hard to do so you might be able to get a simple one up and running as in a short time.

Richard

Yeah. I concur. Thaumaturgy is the way to go. Problem is, that a golem like that would surely be somewhere in the league of Little Chicago when it comes to complexity. Then again, the enchanted items as stated would probably be several points of refresh each. Not cheap to have something cool like that.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »
I've been looking at working out the math for spells and looking through old posts for math examples.  Does anyone feel like working out the math for a Thaumaturgy "the dolly lives!" spell so we could have another example to look at?

Richard

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 05:36:47 PM »
I've been looking at working out the math for spells and looking through old posts for math examples.  Does anyone feel like working out the math for a Thaumaturgy "the dolly lives!" spell so we could have another example to look at?

Richard

We really don't need to. Just think about the difficulty of designing such a thing through conventional means. Say you want to build a robot all by yourself with artificial intelligence that suffices to be capable of what you want him to do. For the Sneaky Golem ad what it takes to enable it to fly and make it tiny, again all by yourself. Calculate all this together and you come out with a reasonable complexity for the spell.

Come to think of it. It would probably be easier to just summon a spirit out of the Nevernever and trap it inside the construct you desire... I don't know. Perhaps make it an enchanted item after all. We really could need some official rules to handle familiars. :)
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!