Author Topic: Homebrew Stunts  (Read 54777 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Homebrew Stunts
« Reply #270 on: September 28, 2011, 06:33:55 AM »
Alright, now to go over the new stunts:

Alertness stunts look good. Will probably expand Master Of The Tell to apply to all Alertness defense against Deceit. Will also make implied prerequisite explicit.

Will probably split I Lupin! into two stunts, one of which boosts invocations of a specific aspect for Burglary and another which allows the user to spend a FP for +4 to a Burglary roll.

Automotive Genius is redundant and will be removed. Big Pocking Wrench will probably be modified to provide +2. May remove equipment prerequisite from Scavenger.

Chanter will be turned into a custom power and posted to the appropriate thread for review. Will be replaced with another stunt boosting focus maneuvers.

Fists stunts are alright, but Give As Good As I Get requires a full mechanical rewrite.

The Intimidation stunt is redundant and will be removed.

Investigation stunts are mostly okay, but Professional Detective is unnecessary and will be removed.

Muscle-Brained is a joke and will be removed.

Presence stunts are fine, though I'll have to think about the wording on Minions, Attack!

Silent Tank is a good idea that may need some work in order to accommodate those who don't normally apply Stealth penalties to armoured people.

Weapons stunts are complicated. Combat Sense is in the same boat as Silent Tank. Zatoichi will be modified to work based on the target's blindness rather than the user's. Mirror Stance is fine, even if I don't like Magus Black's attempt to provide sneaky stunt stacking. Reflection Shatters The Mirror will be reduced to a 1 shift penalty. Two-Handed Training will be changed to a straight +2 stress. Old School Archer is redundant and will be removed, but Bows Are Weapons will be edited to explicitly include crossbows. Legendary Archer will be given a prerequisite of Bows Are Weapons. Focused Strike will be modified to provide a +2 bonus to aim maneuvers. Footwork is fine as is.

None of this is final.

I welcome objections from the forum in general and from the original authors in particular.

PS: Does anybody object to having their stunts added to the list?

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 28, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
Yeah, I just carry a USB drive.

But given how easy this was, I might start using it instead.

Tell me if this works.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43356063/DFRPG%20stunts%20%28sorted%29.docx

Link works peachy.  That link will always be to the most current version of the file if you're editing that file directly rather than working on it somewhere else and pasting it into the Public folder.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 28, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »
Oh, bonus points if you have the Generic NPCs and Custom Powers lists able to be linked too.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 28, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »
There is a word document for custom powers, but it isn't up to date. Link:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43356063/Custom%20Powers%20v2.docx

The item of power list document, however, is quite good:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43356063/Item%20of%20power%20list.docx

Unfortunately nothing of this sort exists for NPCs.

In other news, I'm still looking for comments on my proposed stunt edits. If nobody says anything today, I'll just assume everbody agrees.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 07:45:40 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Magus Black

• Conversationalist
  • The Truth in more ways than One!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:45 PM »
I've got no problem with the changes.
As if I needed more incentive to go to Hell.
"Only Sheep need a shepherd!" -- unknown
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
Outstanding.

I've got a start on the generic npcs from the thread.  Will see about finishing it up tonight.  After that I'll probably write up a perl script to automagically sort them by depth, mortal/supernatural, and alphanumerically since I'm far too lazy to do that by hand.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2011, 02:46:15 AM »
@Magus Black: Thanks for replying. I'll get to editing your stunts now, then.

@The Mighty Buzzard: You are a prince among men. I've been meaning to get around to sorting the Generic NPCs for about half a year.

I suppose I ought to add the dropbox links to the relevant posts. Will do that now.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2011, 03:24:10 AM »
@The Mighty Buzzard: You are a prince among men. I've been meaning to get around to sorting the Generic NPCs for about half a year.

Won't be tonight after all. Turns out I have somewhere to be before the crack of noon tomorrow, so it'll have to wait a day in favor of actually getting some sleep.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 29, 2011, 03:30:19 AM »
Just noticed that the Inspector stunt here more or less duplicates the Wily stunt on the master list. But I like Inspector better, so I'll have it replace Wily.

Removed the note about the Passive Awareness trapping from Notice The Unseen because there's really no other trapping that one would use to notice an invisible thing.

Alertness

Notice Tell: Your keen senses allow you to pick up on the subtle clues that indicate when a person is lying. You may use your Alertness skill to defend against Deceit-based maneuvers and attacks.
Master of the Tell: (Requires Master Of The Tell) Long practice has made you incomparably good at noticing the mannerisms that accompany deception. Add two to your Alertness skill when using it to defend against Deceit-based maneuvers and attacks.
Primitive Tracker: Your methods of tracking are simple and intuitive, but nonetheless effective. Use your Alertness skill for the Tracking trapping of Survival.
Inspector: Short-term and long term inspection of something are essentially the same thing. You may use your Alertness skill for the Examination trapping of Investigation.
Notice the Unseen: You have an uncanny knack for noticing things that are magically hidden. Add three to your Alertness skill when using it to notice things that are either invisible or veiled.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2011, 03:31:42 AM »
Oh noes. I'll have to wait an entire day.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 29, 2011, 03:33:48 AM »
In that case you are only a margrave amongst men. I imagine that is still a loftier title than you woke up with though so take it in stride.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 29, 2011, 04:03:24 AM »
I've made the language of Silent Tank a bit vaguer in hopes of making it more widely useful. If you don't think it works, tell me.

Burglary

I Lupin!: Somehow, you can always pull of a stroke of larcenous brilliance when it really counts. Once per scene, you may spend a Fate Point in order to get a +4 bonus to a Burglary roll.
Burglar's Signature: Some aspect of your character makes you an expert thief. Pick one of your aspects. Add two to the result of any Burglary roll that you invoke that aspect on.

Stealth

Silent Tank: For some strange reason, you are capable of sneaking around while wearing 30 pounds of steel plate armour. Reduce all penalties to Stealth rolls from encumbrance by two.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 29, 2011, 04:49:38 AM »
I don't know what a margrave is, but it sounds like a cool thing to be.

Weapons

Mirror Stance: Your unusual fighting style lets you defend effortlessly when you are using a weapon similar to that of your opponent. When you are attacked with a weapon of the same type that you are wielding yourself, you may inflict a -2 penalty to the attack roll. If you do so, you must defend against the attack using your Weapons skill.
Reflection Shatters the Mirror: Your unusual fighting style makes your attacks hard to defend against when you are using a weapon similar to that of your opponent. When you attack someone with a weapon of the same type that your target is wielding, that target takes a -1 penalty to their defense roll.
Two-Handed Training: Two hands > one hand. Attacks that you make with a weapon held in both of your hands inflict two additional stress.
Legendary Archer: (Requires Bows Are Weapons) Bows are not just weapons, they're your weapons of choice. When wielding a bow or crossbow with your Weapons skill, increase the range of that weapon by two zones.
Focused Strike: Given a moment to aim, your attacks are devastating. Add two to your Weapons skill when using it to make an aim-based maneuver.

Offline Magus Black

• Conversationalist
  • The Truth in more ways than One!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 29, 2011, 05:36:49 AM »
I like those modifications and you made them seem more stylish too.

Oh and polkaneverdies's essentially is saying that your 'a King among Men', its a good compliment. ;D
As if I needed more incentive to go to Hell.
"Only Sheep need a shepherd!" -- unknown
"Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy."

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2011, 07:16:33 PM »
Thank you, Magus. I wasn't sure about the wording on a couple of those, so I'm quite glad to hear that you like them.

Anyway, I figure I might as well get started on everyone else's stunts now.