Author Topic: What do supernaturals do during World War [Fill The Blank]? [SPOILERS?]  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Re: What do supernaturals do during World War [Fill The Blank]? [SPOILERS?]
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 09:00:18 PM »
Awesome stuff, guys - these are the sorts of stories I was hoping to hear. Its just rich with story seed & adventure possibility... and it lets me construct a probable course of action for the supernatural world during some of the more important conflicts in that part of the world.

My only real pauser for thought is whether or not the Allies came up with a counter response of their own, or was it the White Council who did something about it, or if it was a combination of both.

Offline neko128

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
At the risk of being slightly more silly than a number of the (very good) posts above, Morgan could easily have been fighting Zombies in the trenches.  It's hard to get men to charge across no-man's-land in trench warfare. Zombies?  Much easier.  And Nazi Zombies are a constant theme in recent video games.

There's plenty (!) of ground for magic in warfare, in subtle and not-so-subtle ways.  Assassinate an enemy general?  Entropy curse ("Holy crap!  My gun just discharged accidentally!  I swear I'm not an assassin!").  Trouble with morale?  Send in the zombies.  Lost track of an enemy column?  Ask a fairy...  Or just scry for it.  Weather not what you want?  Nudge it to make it over-cast - or get rid of a storm.  Want to keep submarines out of your harbour?  Summon a water spirit and have it guard the harbour mouth.  Want to guard a convoy from submarines?  Another water spirit.  Want to fly a large wing of aircraft past an observer?  Confuse them for just a few minutes - just long enough for them to assume they're a friendly flight returning.

The list goes on and on.

Offline Leatherneck

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »
Don’t forget about the great work the Hedge Wizards did during the Battle of Dunkirk.   

Quoting from Professor Wiener’s “Military History in the Supernatural 20th Century World”; “While the English practitioners, working mostly in London, focused on using the weather to ground the Luftwaffe, several covens of Irish practitioners influenced Goering, using black magic, to convince Hitler in holding back the amour long enough to enable the evacuation of the beaches at Dunkirk.  Most of the Hedge Wizards then presented themselves to Wardens for judgment.  The aftermath of those judgments resulted in years of debate and internal strife for the White Council, keeping them out of direct involvement of World War II.”

Sadly, my copy of Wiener’s book is nearly unreadable.  It was found in the burned down and flooded accord sanction neutral grounds in the heart of New Orleans 9th Ward.

I am guessing, but it seems the Wardens became even more proactive after the Dunkirk judgments.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 07:01:56 PM »
The spear of destiny isn't the Hofburg spear.  The Hofburg spear is a different one, and one that the Nazis did get.

To quote:
Vienna Lance (Hofburg spear)
The Holy Lance in the Schatzkammer of Vienna
The inscription on the Holy Lance

The Holy Roman Emperors had a lance of their own, attested from the time of Otto I (912-973). In 1000 Otto III gave Boleslaw I of Poland a replica of the Lance at the Congress of Gniezno. In 1084 Henry IV had a silver band with the inscription "Nail of Our Lord" added to it. This was based on the belief that this was the lance of Constantine the Great which enshrined a nail used for the Crucifixion.

Much more information can be found at:
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Lance[/ur], including how it was taken to Dresden in WWII and returned to Austria by the Allies.

Richard

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:41 PM »
The spear of destiny isn't the Hofburg spear.  The Hofburg spear is a different one, and one that the Nazis did get.

And yet that same wikipedia entry identifies the Hofberg Spear as one of 3 or 4 relics that are claimed to be the Holy Lance (aka the Spear of Deastiny) or part of it. In fact none of the relics that appear in that article actually are the spear of destiny. Just because the actual history doesn't tally with the claims doesn't prevent it from being a decent hook for a roleplaying game using the idea that they all do contain parts of the spear that require reassembly...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:05:30 PM by babel2uk »