Author Topic: Liverpool - Game and City  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Losbennett

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Liverpool - Game and City
« on: August 31, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Hi everyone!  I picked up the Dresden RPG books when on a weekend in Liverpool during the summer.  I've read all the books and I'm a huge fan. 

This weekend I got around to starting an adventure with my boyfriend and a couple of friends.  None of them have read the books but we all LARP Vampire:the Masquerade so they know a little about urban fantasy and horror settings.  I'm hoping to be able to get them to read the novels soon.

We spent a couple of hours coming up with the themes, locations and characters for Liverpool and it was really fun.  I've actually left the sheets at our friend's house but when I get them back I'll write up what we have so far.  I've got myself a notebook to keep everything in and write down ideas when I have them.

Very quick blurb about me: I'm a mid-twenties English Lecturer from a small town near Liverpool in North West England.  I have a degree in creative writing, a PGCE teaching qualification and I'm looking to study my masters in writing next year.

If there is anyone in the Liverpool area looking for a game, let me know.  I need another player or two and it's always fun to meet more RPing people in this section of the world, especially if you might be interested in the LARP.

My players have come up with the followin characters: A lapsed Priest who is questioning his faith, struggling with a drinking problem and searching for his sister who has fallen in with a bad crowd.  A were-pigeon who has yet to come into his abilities, who is a teenage runaway from an orphanage that was raising children for the White Court.  A changeling with troll blood who grew up on the streets and will soon have to choose between his fae ancestry and his human side.

____

The introduction for the city:

Liverpool

A city with a glorious past.  The docks sit by the water, holding back the tide.  In the old warehouses, signs and symbols scrawled on the walls speak of an almost-forgotten history.  Towards the city centre, clubs spill their neon gasses into the streets and people of all types stagger from one bar to another.  The columns of St George’s Hall frame the corruption within, the impressive façade masking the taint of decay.  Continuing up, the darkness recedes around the massive red bulk of the cathedral, the stained glass windows providing a colourful display of faith and sanctuary.  A few flakes of snow fall and settle onto the grass of an island in a park, the water just barely on the liquid side of freezing.  A few dark shapes move in the trees, dancing to a tune unheard by mortals.

The city is on the brink of something.  Red court vampires vie for control of the nightlife, wresting it street by street from the white court.  Wizards, wary of the vampire presence, lurk on the sidelines and search for chinks in their armour.  A crime boss infects the City Council with his words and a rival seeks to snatch away money from under his nose.  At the docks, a secretive cult leave notes to each other on the walls and work to restore the legends of the City.  A gate to the Nevernever would lead to their mission being fulfilled but a cold guard of Winter fae block them for the moment.

The two real beacons of light and hope in the city cling to safety, one obvious and one hidden.  The giant red edifice of the Anglican cathedral stands proudly as the waves of darkness break against its solid bulk.  The Carte Blanche, the most exclusive club in the city, moves nightly to one of a dozen locations, findable only by those in the know.

This is the setting.  Will you find the hope and light that still exist in the city or will you succumb to the tempting darkness?

Only time will tell…

-----

Once I get the sheets and such back from my friend I'll post more details.

Offline Losbennett

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool - Game and City
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 06:11:54 PM »
Themes and Threats

Theme - Glorious Past

Liverpool was once an extremely well-off port city, mostly from the trade in and out.  There are people and beings around still who remember what the city was and want to recapture the old days... at the expense of the new.

Theme - City of Legends

Liverpool has been home to a lot of legends.  There are the mortal ones - footballers, music artists, artists and there are the supernatural ones - ghosts prevail but there are other stories, such as the ones that state if the "Liver birds" ever fly away, Liverpool will fall.  A secretive cult is investigating the legends of the city and seeks to use them for their own ends.

Threat - Rival criminals

A crime boss sits on the city council, manipulating the policies for his own means.  A rival criminal lives in Chinatown, snatching at small pieces of the city and waiting for a better opportunity...

Threat - Vampire control

The Red Court seeks to wrestle more of the city from the White Court, bringing death and blood to the streets of Liverpool instead of lust and indulgence.  But which predator is the lesser of two evils?

Offline Arcteryx

• Conversationalist
  • "I comb my hair with a hand grenade."
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool - Game and City
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 02:27:24 PM »
Sounds great. Love the idea of the Carte Blanche club moving nightly...