Author Topic: Empathic Healing  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Kestrel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Empathic Healing
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to build a power for a concept that my friend has come up with.
His concept is that of the Fisher Knight - a counterpart to the Knights of the Cross.  Where the Cross Knights carry swords into battle to protect the weak, the Fisher Knight carries a shield and is more defensive. 
In keeping with that he has the ability to heal others, but only by taking on the injuries of those he heals.
So far the closest we have come to this is by giving him Inhuman Recovery and Inhuman Toughness with the catch being that his extra stress boxes and his increased recovery only works on those he heals.  We aren't sure, but are thinking of letting him have the armor and enhanced endurance of those two powers to reflect that he is tireless in protection.
Sorry if this is post is choppy.  There is more to the concept but have to go soon and just wanted to get this idea out there and see if anyone had a better way of doing this.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
Re: Empathic Healing
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:11:33 AM »
Stress boxes aren't that dramatic, perhaps you should consider something with which he can transfer Consequences to himself? And you should tie most, if not all of the powers to his Shield as an IoP, in taking with the Knights of the Cross flavour, IMO. It is a neat concept, that's for sure!

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on how to build a power for a concept that my friend has come up with.
His concept is that of the Fisher Knight - a counterpart to the Knights of the Cross.  Where the Cross Knights carry swords into battle to protect the weak, the Fisher Knight carries a shield and is more defensive. 
In keeping with that he has the ability to heal others, but only by taking on the injuries of those he heals.
So far the closest we have come to this is by giving him Inhuman Recovery and Inhuman Toughness with the catch being that his extra stress boxes and his increased recovery only works on those he heals.  We aren't sure, but are thinking of letting him have the armor and enhanced endurance of those two powers to reflect that he is tireless in protection.
Sorry if this is post is choppy.  There is more to the concept but have to go soon and just wanted to get this idea out there and see if anyone had a better way of doing this.

Just give him this IoP: 

Shield of the Fisher Knight [-3]
Powers:
Emphatic Healing-The Fisher Knight may heal a mental or physical consequence by taking that same consequence himself.  This requires a standard action. [-1]
Aegis of Protection-When wielding the shield, the Fisher Knight has mental and physical Armor 2. [-2]
Supernatural Recovery (Emphatic Catch)-The Fisher Knight recovers more quickly from physical injuries taken from others.  He has Supernatural Recovery when wielding the shield, but it only applies to Consequences taken from others. [-1]
Holy-The Shield contains a piece of the Grail. [-1].

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
I love this concept. 

@InFerrumVeritas:  Your IoP seems to cover everything very well.

Much of "taking others' consequences" can be done with aspects as well.  Your high concept or some other "protector" themed aspect can let you block damage/take damage from attacks aimed at others so the people you protect don't get hurt in the first place.  Maybe a stunt?  Something that let's you block as a free action but uses up your next turn.  This could also be built into the Sheild.

Maybe you've thought of this already...

Offline Kestrel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 07:01:38 PM »
The player had always intended for him to take the consquences and not just the stress boxes from those he healed.  He also wants to avoid just taking a IoP that does the job for him as it doesn't really fit that well into the concept - he can't heal someone without his shield?  If it worked that way then his shield should be taking dmaage not him.  So this is how he was thinking it would work:
With Inhuman Recovery: He would get the benefit of Total Recovery even for his own injuries.  Fast Recovery only works when he has healed someone and only for what he took from them.  Vigorous works for him all the time as his work is never done.  Shrug It Off only works for things he has taken and not things he has suffered.
Inhuman Toughness: He has Hard to Hurt and it works for him normally - after all he is the medic and sometimes people shoot at the medic.  Hard to Kill those boxes only exist for him to fill in with other people's hurts.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »
I've actually done this exact thing before, and the way I did it was with sponsored magic. The character had soulfire (more as direct angelic power than the way we've typically seen it) and I figured that could give me thaumaturgy at evocations speed and methods specifically for healing (seems appropriate). I used the Reiki healing spell as evocation rote to heal others in and out of conflict. Where does the "taking on consequences that I've healed" part come in? It's a decently powerful spell and I designed the character to have the available power, but not necessarily the available control. Every time I cast the spell I took the excess power as physical backlash and took a consequence to absorb it. The target is healed, I have a consequence.

Offline Kestrel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 08:56:01 PM »
That might work out great.  Particular since the way the concept is shaping up, the Fisher Knight would work for Raphael the way that the Cross Knights seem to work mainly for Michael.  Also the history of the Fisher Knight ties the concept to water.  So Sponsored Magic from Raphael with a water/healing theme would fit the concept quite well.  Thanks for the idea. 

If anyone wants it I would be wiling to post the whole concept and some of the ideas we have come up with to further expand the history and purpose of the Fisher Knight.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:10:51 PM »
Wait, I forgot an important detail. Reiki healing spell doesn't actually heal consequences, it restores them one step faster (so a moderate restores as a mild, etc) so it's a little less useful in conflict, but still useful. I suppose another spell option would be to give the target some form of recovery, but spells like that tend to be very complex (20-30 shift range).

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 07:36:45 AM »
He also wants to avoid just taking a IoP that does the job for him as it doesn't really fit that well into the concept - he can't heal someone without his shield?  If it worked that way then his shield should be taking dmaage not him.

I was just suggesting it in the same theme as Knights of the Cross, who gain most of their supernatural prowess from their Swords. It is not necessary of course and wholly depends on what flavour you want the Knight to have :)

Offline Lanir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »
Huh. This is interesting. Sounds a bit like the standard fantasy paladin but with an overt Christian feel to it. And the water angle helps keep it from being thematically a bit too simple.