Author Topic: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns  (Read 86764 times)

Offline Funge

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water (was LFG ATX)
« Reply #390 on: February 02, 2011, 10:11:44 AM »
I am re-reading through the rules again myself so I can have a better grasp of them. I figure that each session will keep building on previous skills.
One thing I have discovered though; If you wish to make a Declaration, i.e. to Add and aspect to a scene such as a Candle, Requires the expenditure of a Fate Point.

By the book, not necessarily.  On page 20, it talks about making a Declaration by spending a fate point, but pages 116 and 197 talk about making Declarations by rolling.  The differences are somewhat spelled out in the sidebar on 116.  It isn't explicit about it, but it looks like you might not be able to declare an Aspect via the fate point method.  At least they don't mention an example of that.  The description on 20 starts off, "Declarations are usually handled with a skill roll (page 116), but in some cases you may simply lay down a fate point and declare something.  If the GM accepts the fate point, it will be true."  So maybe the fate point spend is good for making an important Declaration when you have crap for ranks in the appropriate skill.

Offline Funge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 02, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
It looks like I'm the one with
1. Sufficient motivation  and
2. Lack enough of a life

so I'll probably be doing the recap.  I'll try to get it done in the next day or two while the session is still fresh in my mind.

I'm really hoping that we can get some more wiki pages or characters up so I don't have to rely on my memory too much.

During some of Ian and Gavin's story, I was in the other room pigging out on wings. :/

Yeah, I think with a group this big there will frequently be people missing out on bits of the plot.  Sometimes I too am pigging out on wings or frantically writing down what Marty just learned or something, and I'll miss a little.  It's probably a good idea to take a more wiki-influenced approach to the recaps.  If memory fails, but the writer knows something's missing, put up a [placeholder] to indicate the need for help fleshing things out.

So:

Pictures were taken and shoes were bagged and gator ridges were shot at.

[Gavin and Fabian talked with Kalliope or something?]

Then everyone met up with the Rabbi at the Winchester.

And maybe a little [?] when the writer needs clarification on a little detail?  I'm about to doze off, but I'll edit a little bit of the recap.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:37:40 AM by Funge »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 02, 2011, 10:41:40 AM »
By the book, not necessarily.  On page 20, it talks about making a Declaration by spending a fate point, but pages 116 and 197 talk about making Declarations by rolling.  The differences are somewhat spelled out in the sidebar on 116.  It isn't explicit about it, but it looks like you might not be able to declare an Aspect via the fate point method.  At least they don't mention an example of that.  The description on 20 starts off, "Declarations are usually handled with a skill roll (page 116), but in some cases you may simply lay down a fate point and declare something.  If the GM accepts the fate point, it will be true."  So maybe the fate point spend is good for making an important Declaration when you have crap for ranks in the appropriate skill.

See, this is why I both love and hate the books.

On one hand, they're fun to read and very pretty.

On the other hand, certain rules are talked about very verbosely and split up all over the book.  Seriously.  I've been arguing for days with the community here over what some things mean.  I am not comfortable using all of my abilities until I am sure what exactly they do and how to do them.

8 people are too many for Ren to keep track of.  I feel like it is my responsibility to learn the rules for my character.

That is why I started the wiki pages on rules.

Perhaps you could make an entry or add to one I've started on declarations?  Proof from the text would be a nice touch.

Yeah, I think with a group this big there will frequently be people missing out on bits of the plot.  Sometimes I too am pigging out on wings or frantically writing down what Marty just learned or something, and I'll miss a little.  It's probably a good idea to take a more wiki-influenced approach to the recaps.  If memory fails, but the writer knows something's missing, put up a [placeholder] to indicate the need for help fleshing things out.

So:

Pictures were taken and shoes were bagged and gator ridges were shot at.

[Gavin and Fabian talked with Kalliope or something?]

Then everyone met up with the Rabbi at the Winchester.

And maybe a little [?] when the writer needs clarification on a little detail?  I'm about to doze off, but I'll edit a little bit of the recap.

I think we got it ironed out. :)  Have you seen the recap portion on Obsidian?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Funge

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 02, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
8 people are too many for Ren to keep track of.  I feel like it is my responsibility to learn the rules for my character.

That is why I started the wiki pages on rules.

Perhaps you could make an entry or add to one I've started on declarations?  Proof from the text would be a nice touch.

Yeah, I can do that.  But right now I'll get five hours of sleep and then wake up for class, so maybe later today or tomorrow.

I think we got it ironed out. :)  Have you seen the recap portion on Obsidian?

Yes indeed.  I just added/revised about two-thirds of the most recent recap, up through the meeting at the Winchester.  I'm adding some things I think are important, revising for clarity and getting all word-geek on present/past tense agreement.  There were a lot of smaller details that I added in not just for narrative purposes but because I'm wagering they'll be important.  Once again, bed now, more of that later.

(Oh, and I came up with a title I think you'll like for the first session recap.)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 02, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
LOL!

Excellent job.  Pure gold.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #395 on: February 02, 2011, 03:18:34 PM »
I completely forgot about the Shoes!....hilarious...8)

And now that I've re-read the Adventure Logs...I LOVE the titles; "The Makeshift Mermaid and the InvestiGators"...cracking me up! Sounds like a weirdo band-name...hrmm...I sense some new NPCs in the world at a future point...8)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 03:26:52 PM by Ren »
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water
« Reply #396 on: February 02, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
are we still going to Disney world?
I found some neat stuff, for example.
http://www.ghostvillage.com/ghostcommunity/index.php?showtopic=12495

and some strange stuff about their secuirty, apparently they tried to keep Armed Florida Highway Patrol out if they are armed.
http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WDW/SecuritySecrets.html

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Game; Blood in the Water
« Reply #397 on: February 02, 2011, 05:10:05 PM »
I'm sure that at some point there will be an adventure that takes the game to Disney World...but it's the "Happiest Place on earth" so it could only be for vacation right? Right?  8)

Over the years I've read some interesting bits about Disney's draconian Employment and Security policies. Thus why I added them into the set-up for the game.

Offline Funge

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Miami; the Makeshift Mermaid and other Yarns
« Reply #398 on: February 02, 2011, 07:43:38 PM »
Which movie is that creepy picture of Peter Stormare from on the "scary businessman" NPC page?

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 02, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »
Whoah...don't tell me you don't recognize that...I'll give you a hint, the movie would absolutely fit into the Dresdenverse just fine...

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 02, 2011, 07:48:10 PM »
Whoah...don't tell me you don't recognize that...I'll give you a hint, the movie would absolutely fit into the Dresdenverse just fine...

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 03, 2011, 12:08:10 AM »
I dont know if my email got out, internets being strange.
Basically Ren asked if anyone wanted to hit the range Sat the 5th.
good for me, but it might be frozen over everywhere
Sat the 12 I'm free too, and I should have a bunch of extra ammo, and some Zombie targets I ordered by then
http://www.zombietargets.net/

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 03, 2011, 01:02:54 AM »
I dont know if my email got out, internets being strange.
Basically Ren asked if anyone wanted to hit the range Sat the 5th.
good for me, but it might be frozen over everywhere
Sat the 12 I'm free too, and I should have a bunch of extra ammo, and some Zombie targets I ordered by then
http://www.zombietargets.net/

Yeah I should be free as well.  Whether Ashley will go or not probably depends on whether the temperature is tolerable or stuck at a balmy freezing.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 03, 2011, 04:21:41 AM »
Oh good news!

I will have a Pele dagger prop for next Sunday to help complete my costume!

It's the one at the bottom of my post. :)

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
gah
« Reply #404 on: February 03, 2011, 09:17:12 AM »
Sooooooo..........

It turns out we were wrong in how we were doing some movement and the sneak attack stuff.

I've updated the wiki with the relevant rules.  By the time I get done with the Wiki, I'll probably be a walking talking DFRPG sourcebook. :/